Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    I can't believe *we* even bother arguing with people who do this context-ignoring thing that Salixiana
    did.

Science is real, so is reading comprehension.

Personally, I'm just always thinking about the lurkers ;)

Yeah, I get that. :lol:

I just find it amusing.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I can't believe *we* even bother arguing with people who do this context-ignoring thing that Salixiana
    did.

Science is real, so is reading comprehension.

Personally, I'm just always thinking about the lurkers ;)

Yep, me too.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Posters saying to not be concerned about intake of added sugars even though the WHO, USDA, American Heart Association etc all say their intake should be limited.

It might be that's because we are on a weight loss/gain site not a diabetes prevention one. And a lot of question will be phrased like "can I eat this ans still lose weight ?". If someone is obese, I think them losing weight is more critical than how much sugar they eat in order of priority.
    But yeah I agree with you, and it should always be contextual to the question asked.

Actually the USDA/WHO/AHA guidelines on sugar don't really call out diabetes prevention and don't say these recommendations aren't just for those overweight/obese.

Is losing weigh important of course. These organization's recommendations based on the research say that consuming fewer added sugars is a big bang for the buck way to get there for the general population.

USDA
    What’s the Problem with Added Sugars?
    Eating and drinking too many foods and beverages with added sugars makes
    it difficult to achieve a healthy eating pattern without taking in too many
    calories. Added sugars contribute calories, but no essential nutrients.

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/resources/DGA_Cut-Down-On-Added-Sugars.pdf

WHO
    The recommendations are based on analysis of the latest scientific evidence. This evidence shows, first, that adults who consume less sugars have lower body weight and, second, that increasing the amount of sugars in the diet is associated with a weight increase.
    https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

The best researchers in the world on this topic are in agreement that added sugars should be significantly reduced from current levels of consumption. Not really sure who else you want to be listening to on this topic.

Exactly. Both orgs recommend limiting added sugars because they tend to cause people to eat too many calories. If you are already controlling your calories on MFP, you probably don't have to worry about watching your sugar intake. And if you are watching your macros and making sure you're getting enough protein and fat, it would be incredibly difficult to do that and still end up with too much added sugar.

Once someone has their calories, protein, fat, and fiber down, if they want to play with another variable, go for it and watch your "added sugar". But I'd bet that if they have everything else down, their added sugar isn't even close to being a problem.

Yes! When I started logging my food and counting calories, it became very apparent where the extra calories were coming from. I knew I couldn't cut out things like protein, high-quality carbs, & healthy fats or I would be gnawing my arm off (and had I not known that, I would have found out real quick), so I looked at things like sugary drinks, candy, & white bread. The nutritional profile of my diet improved greatly just by concentrating on my calories & satiety. It can happen naturally without a person being told you "have" to eat this way, which of course, people just love ;)

Yes -- most people use common sense like this. The people who assume others will not make me wonder about whether they struggled with common sense.

While I agree with the sentiment here, I think it's a slippery slope on a forum loaded with people with poor relationships with food, emotional attachments to both food and scale weight (which usually conflict with each other), etc. What some people think is common isn't always so common. I know I've been the strawman a time or two.

If you log your food, you can see what you are spending calories on. Common sense would say to cut back on things that are less filling and don't help with nutritional goals, which does not mean cut out entirely if you still enjoy those foods. I know I saw immediately just by writing down what I was eating in a day ways that I could cut calories without even noticing (decrease the amounts of oil I was adding, use less pasta, more vegetables, but eat just as much food), and I also saw that I was eating just because on some days, and for high cal/lower nutrient foods I started questioning whether they were really worth it. Some were, some weren't, and portions became smaller. I also saw that my meals were pretty healthful and balanced but that I did a bunch of "it's in the breakroom and I'm having a bad day" kind of eating of foods that I don't even really like all that much, so I decided not to snack.

It is true that some people really don't want to adjust their eating or are convinced they hate vegetables or foods with protein or who knows. I think most probably will over time if they are successful. But my main point is that they don't choose not to, to survive on the strawman of Coke, fast food burgers, fries, and donuts, because they are unaware that's not the healthiest choice, that eating 25%+ of their diet from added sugar is a bad idea, that not eating a more nutrient-rich diet overall (and very few veg!) is unhealthy. Everyone knows what is basically healthy and basically not. Me or you lecturing more than we do about nutrition when someone asks "can I eat what I want and lose" is not going to make a difference, so someone else insisting that we say that nutrition does not matter is offensive and annoying.

There's a disconnect here for me, but I can't quite put my thumb on the what/where/why. This whole process is, for me, MUCH MUCH MUCH more emotional than you make it sound in your words. I'm not sure if I'm reacting to that (emotionally), or if I actually disagree with you.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Posters saying to not be concerned about intake of added sugars even though the WHO, USDA, American Heart Association etc all say their intake should be limited.

It might be that's because we are on a weight loss/gain site not a diabetes prevention one. And a lot of question will be phrased like "can I eat this ans still lose weight ?". If someone is obese, I think them losing weight is more critical than how much sugar they eat in order of priority.
    But yeah I agree with you, and it should always be contextual to the question asked.

Actually the USDA/WHO/AHA guidelines on sugar don't really call out diabetes prevention and don't say these recommendations aren't just for those overweight/obese.

Is losing weigh important of course. These organization's recommendations based on the research say that consuming fewer added sugars is a big bang for the buck way to get there for the general population.

USDA
    What’s the Problem with Added Sugars?
    Eating and drinking too many foods and beverages with added sugars makes
    it difficult to achieve a healthy eating pattern without taking in too many
    calories. Added sugars contribute calories, but no essential nutrients.

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/resources/DGA_Cut-Down-On-Added-Sugars.pdf

WHO
    The recommendations are based on analysis of the latest scientific evidence. This evidence shows, first, that adults who consume less sugars have lower body weight and, second, that increasing the amount of sugars in the diet is associated with a weight increase.
    https://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

The best researchers in the world on this topic are in agreement that added sugars should be significantly reduced from current levels of consumption. Not really sure who else you want to be listening to on this topic.

Exactly. Both orgs recommend limiting added sugars because they tend to cause people to eat too many calories. If you are already controlling your calories on MFP, you probably don't have to worry about watching your sugar intake. And if you are watching your macros and making sure you're getting enough protein and fat, it would be incredibly difficult to do that and still end up with too much added sugar.

Once someone has their calories, protein, fat, and fiber down, if they want to play with another variable, go for it and watch your "added sugar". But I'd bet that if they have everything else down, their added sugar isn't even close to being a problem.

Yes! When I started logging my food and counting calories, it became very apparent where the extra calories were coming from. I knew I couldn't cut out things like protein, high-quality carbs, & healthy fats or I would be gnawing my arm off (and had I not known that, I would have found out real quick), so I looked at things like sugary drinks, candy, & white bread. The nutritional profile of my diet improved greatly just by concentrating on my calories & satiety. It can happen naturally without a person being told you "have" to eat this way, which of course, people just love ;)

Yes -- most people use common sense like this. The people who assume others will not make me wonder about whether they struggled with common sense.

While I agree with the sentiment here, I think it's a slippery slope on a forum loaded with people with poor relationships with food, emotional attachments to both food and scale weight (which usually conflict with each other), etc. What some people think is common isn't always so common. I know I've been the strawman a time or two.

If you log your food, you can see what you are spending calories on. Common sense would say to cut back on things that are less filling and don't help with nutritional goals, which does not mean cut out entirely if you still enjoy those foods. I know I saw immediately just by writing down what I was eating in a day ways that I could cut calories without even noticing (decrease the amounts of oil I was adding, use less pasta, more vegetables, but eat just as much food), and I also saw that I was eating just because on some days, and for high cal/lower nutrient foods I started questioning whether they were really worth it. Some were, some weren't, and portions became smaller. I also saw that my meals were pretty healthful and balanced but that I did a bunch of "it's in the breakroom and I'm having a bad day" kind of eating of foods that I don't even really like all that much, so I decided not to snack.

It is true that some people really don't want to adjust their eating or are convinced they hate vegetables or foods with protein or who knows. I think most probably will over time if they are successful. But my main point is that they don't choose not to, to survive on the strawman of Coke, fast food burgers, fries, and donuts, because they are unaware that's not the healthiest choice, that eating 25%+ of their diet from added sugar is a bad idea, that not eating a more nutrient-rich diet overall (and very few veg!) is unhealthy. Everyone knows what is basically healthy and basically not. Me or you lecturing more than we do about nutrition when someone asks "can I eat what I want and lose" is not going to make a difference, so someone else insisting that we say that nutrition does not matter is offensive and annoying.

There's a disconnect here for me, but I can't quite put my thumb on the what/where/why. This whole process is, for me, MUCH MUCH MUCH more emotional than you make it sound in your words. I'm not sure if I'm reacting to that (emotionally), or if I actually disagree with you.

I think it's helpful to take the emotion out of it. I am an emotional eater, or have struggled with that, but looking at what I'm actually eating, understanding food and diet and nutrients and the like, logging, for me really is a very logical, reasonable process that helps me with the emotional eating tendencies too. None of the figuring out what I should eat/adjusting my diet stuff was emotional, and I don't really understand why it should be (but I accept that some people just won't want to -- my point is that's not because they are unaware their diet could be better or of what steps would make it that way). Packerjohn's strawman seems to be that people are eating insane amounts of candy and drinking enormous amounts of Coke or what not BECAUSE they don't know that's not a great idea, and that's because people on MFP say "eat a healthy diet that is calorie appropriate and watch what foods are satiating and not" and NOT "cut way back on sugar, period." I think that's totally untrue to reality -- if you are eating all that sugar and a non-nutritious diet, you know it and are choosing to (or perhaps are choosing that the tradeoff isn't worth it to you, or you are stuck in old habits that may be hard to break or take time -- point is it's not because you are unaware, once you look at it, of the problems with the diet).

If you can figure out why there's a disconnect here, I would like to understand your POV.

Gotcha. That's the breadcrumb I was missing. With that clarification, I can say that I agree with you.

My diet is poor. I know it's poor. A good day for me is being within earshot of my calorie goal. I know I eat "too much" packaged/prepared food and not enough fruits or vegetables. I also know that, given everything else I'm juggling at this point in my life, I simply don't care. I may regret that at some point down the road, I'm aware of that too.

However, I can also see where someone might use "just eat whatever you want but stay within your calories" as an excuse to *insert whatever "bad" behavior*... it's just a question of whether or not they are aware they are using it as an excuse.