Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    People trash talking cardio. I'm a runner and I enjoy running and I don't appreciate it when people talk about running as if it's going to kill you. Now I understand that some people don't like running and that's fine -- you have to find a workout program that works for you -- but the belittlement of people who like to run, or people who like cardio in general, sometimes makes me feel like running isn't a good workout and I should go to the gym to lift. Of course I never do that because I don't like going to the gym. I'd rather run outside and do calisthenics than go to the gym and lift weights. That's what works for me.

I also dislike the whole, "if you run you're going to eat up all your muscles" idea. Or the general cardio is going to cause your muscles to waste away and you're going to be left with all this flab and turn into a stringy, fat laden, skinny noodle person.

Where have you seen people who enjoy running being belittled here? I'm just curious because I don't think I've ever seen that.

@quiksylver296 does it to me all the time.....

:)

I was belittling myself this weekend at the end of my fifteen-miler when it felt like my sports bra was chafing its way into my internal organs and my nose was freezing.

Such a great hobby, janejellyroll, wow, you really know how to have a great time, don't you? Some people take up knitting or swim in a heated pool, but you thought training for a marathon in the middle of winter would be cool . . .

I belittled myself all through training for my first 5K, but there was a method to my madness. To me, "running" always meant "sprinting". As in, "give it everything I have right out of the gate... and get winded 100 meters or so later". So, I lied to myself and told me it was a run, not a race. I also told myself that I was 46, this was my first run, and that the competition was going to include people who'd been running for years, people younger than me, people with longer legs than mine, people who might be on their high school or college track and field teams, possibly marathon runners... so, just calm down, accept I wasn't going to win this thing, and just focus on finishing.

(I was right and wrong. I finished 51st out of 500 overall, but 1st among women in my age bracket—45–49)

Those are some great results! Clearly you are an expert self-belittler.

Seriously, I enjoy racing so much more when I approach it as a run and do my best without worrying about where I place (not that I don't enjoy it when I wind up doing well!).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    People trash talking cardio. I'm a runner and I enjoy running and I don't appreciate it when people talk about running as if it's going to kill you. Now I understand that some people don't like running and that's fine -- you have to find a workout program that works for you -- but the belittlement of people who like to run, or people who like cardio in general, sometimes makes me feel like running isn't a good workout and I should go to the gym to lift. Of course I never do that because I don't like going to the gym. I'd rather run outside and do calisthenics than go to the gym and lift weights. That's what works for me.

I also dislike the whole, "if you run you're going to eat up all your muscles" idea. Or the general cardio is going to cause your muscles to waste away and you're going to be left with all this flab and turn into a stringy, fat laden, skinny noodle person.

Where have you seen people who enjoy running being belittled here? I'm just curious because I don't think I've ever seen that.

asjb9fzd7trw.gif

WTF is that?
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could step out of work for a couple hours and go for a run right now. Beautiful and sunny, maybe a bit cold but I can dress for that fine. But by the time I get home after work it's dark.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could step out of work for a couple hours and go for a run right now. Beautiful and sunny, maybe a bit cold but I can dress for that fine. But by the time I get home after work it's dark.

Aren't you the boss? Just go :tongue:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

asjb9fzd7trw.gif

WTF is that?

I think she's implying you have incendiary undergarments.

Or really bad gas.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »

asjb9fzd7trw.gif

WTF is that?

I think she's implying you have incendiary undergarments.

Or really bad gas.

Or both. Not a good mix.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Dark when I wake up, dark when I leave work. It's such a depressing time of year!