Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Unpopular opinions

Replies

• lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Same here. And I also had gasoline-powered ride-on toys (go-karts and dirt bikes), and a video game console too, no less! And I ate like a horse - but was skinny as a rail. Go figure.

Anybody who thinks dirt biking (the motorized kind) doesn't require at least a halfway decent amount of upper body strength/leg strength and moderate cardio has probably never been on a dirt bike for a full day of trail riding or a couple hrs on an mx track.

In fact, buying another dirtbike is what kicked me back into caring about fitness. A 20 mile trail ride whooped my *kitten* and I knew there was no way I was going to hang with my friends on our Moab trip if I didn't get back to lifting and get my cardio up as well.

• lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    edited December 2018
    mph323 wrote: »
    My unpopular opinion about exercise is that what can be considered "exercise" needs to be viewed in the context of the whole of a person's capabilities, not just "this isn't hard enough to be exercise for me so that's true for everyone". A leisurely stroll to the park and back isn't exercise for me, but it would certainly be exercise for my 90 year old father. I've heard people dismiss chair exercise, pool aerobics, silver sneakers programs and yoga at various times, and it may be very true that any of those things might not be difficult enough to benefit people who have greater physical capabilities, but in my opinion, if it pushes your limits even a little, it's exercise. Congratulations, you've taken an important step toward improving your health!

I agree. Right now my only allowed form of exercise is walking because I just had surgery 10 weeks ago and I am still on weight and exercise restrictions. Exercise restrictions are due to not being able to consume enough calories to get through a heavy workout and not pass out.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited December 2018
    From what I can see, soy can have an impact on the body's ability to absorb hypothyroid medication for people who already have thyroid issues. Do you have any sources that show that it also causes damage to a healthy thyroid?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    Soy (especially processed soy) is not healthy and damaging to the thyroid. I hate seeing soybean oil and soy protein isolate in everything

Everything? I rarely eat soybean oil or soy protein isolate. It's not that difficult to find foods without them.

I'm not aware of any good evidence they're damaging to the thyroid, but if you're eating a variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, and beans, it's not really difficult to build a diet that rarely or never includes them.

Of course, I also eat tofu, tempeh, and miso a few times a week, so I guess by that logic I should already have one foot in the grave.

You and me both, at that level of soy intake (I'm near daily, actually). And I'm already hypo: Noticed no difference in either symptoms or regular 6-month TSH levels when I started eating more soy around the time evidence-based guidance changed for breast cancer survivors a while back.

But, at age 63, survivor of stage III BC, plenty of other 'bad' habits besides, I'm doubtless more than one foot in the grave, even before the soy. ;)
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    I hate steak 🤢