Mediocre body

Options
Is anyone else annoyed at how hard they have to work to just have a mediocre body? I know it’s about the small changes and consistent effort, but sometimes I look in the mirror and am like why even bother anymore. Sorry if this is rant-y or depressing, I’ve just been extra hangry today and annoyed I don’t look better for how hard I’m working at this.

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what a mediocre body is, but how long have you been counting calories/exercising?
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    ellioc2 wrote: »
    I’m not sure what a mediocre body is, but how long have you been counting calories/exercising?

About 2 1/2 months now. 1200-1400 calories a day, gym 2-3 times a week. I’m getting results technically but when I look in the mirror I only see what’s wrong with my body, not what’s right.

Patience is key! It took me 10 months to lose weight but about 2 years for my skin to adapt and about 3 years of consistent exercise to really feel somewhat toned and completely confident about my body. I’m in my 40’s but have a better body than I did in my 20’s in my opinion but what really gives me confidence is what my body is capable of, what it looks like is secondary. My advice is to concentrate on good health and strength and the “looking better” will follow but realize it will take time. In the meantime find a physical activity/exercise that you really like and it won’t feel like “work” if you really enjoy doing it. Try different activities, for me I found my passion for trail running and haven’t looked back since. I don’t think about it as a workout, it’s kinda like my hobby/lifestyle that just happens to keep me fit. Good luck on your journey!
  • StephNicole2018
    StephNicole2018 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I completely understand what you mean. I often few the same and have been trying to work through. Funny thing is I feel it more now that I have lost some weight and toned up a bit. I agree with others that are saying it’s more a mind/perception issue than with your actually body. I have tried to read up on body positivity, self love, compassion and confidence which has helped some. Just please remember you can’t negative self talk or punish yourself into improvement.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I try not to be so focused on what my body looks like. My body is wonderful for all the things it can do, therefore I exercise and eat pretty healthy to take care of it. Not so it will look a certain way.
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Agree with all previous comments. Focus on been healthier and happier.
    I'm 40 and decided to have a healthier life/body. I understand perfectly how you feel as lately I look in to mirror and see a guy who spent last 20 years eating and gaining weight instead of becoming fit.
    But, then I remember my self that same mirror guy has decided to invest time and effort, not to be in a fit contest nor to be popular, but to have a better future life with a stronger and healtier body.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I think you look great OP, but you have to feel good about yourself. Also keep in mind patience will be key when it comes to body changes. Just losing weight, even with exercise may not get you there in one go.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mediocre body??? What does that mean? I assume you are referring to appearances? Just give a little consideration to what an incredible miracle and mystery that body of yours is! It carries you through the day and makes all of your experiences in this world possible. Don’t you be calling that mediocre! 😳
  • Barfly57
    Barfly57 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can't see anything wrong.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    OP, what exactly would you like to see in the mirror? What we want isn't always attainable but if you know your goal you can start making a few changes (different workout routine or whatever). But keep in mind that what we "see" in the mirror isn't always a true representation of how we look to others. The mind can be tricky at times.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I think you have a very cute physique, but I can understand you wanting to get back to where you felt comfortable. Honestly, 30lbs can make a BIG difference. I just think you need some more patience. 2.5 months is not very long. It probably took you years to get to where you were. Building a physique you are happy with can take years as well. If you think of it as a long game, I think you will not feel as frustrated. And I urge you to continue taking progress photos because sometimes you can't see the change in the mirror, but when you compare to where you started you can see your hard work pay off.