Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    NewyRob wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    That brings up an interesting point. I am a moderator, but that doesn't give me leave to feel morally superior to someone who is an abstainer. Alternately, my daily chocolate habit doesn't mean I'm weaker than someone who hasn't had a chocolate bar since Doc Martens were cool.

Doc Martens aren't cool anymore? :(

Ok ok, I take it back! Should have posted that in the unpopular opinions thread, I guess :lol:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    *jinx*
  • pinuplove
    @pinuplove You sure are getting a lot of air time outta that Doc Martens comment. :lol:

Who knew?

:laugh: Right?! I derail threads without even meaning to.
  • _Pastafarian_
    _Pastafarian_ Posts: 25 Member
    That weight loss surgery doesn't work. It does. It has by far the best statistics for long term weight maintenance than any diet or exercise regime currently available.

Really?!? I'd always heard the opposite. Well, maybe not the opposite, but that it had a low success rate long term.

No, quite the opposite. It has the best long term (>10 years) weight recidivism statistics of any treatment we have. I wish that it weren't so, but it's why I went with a sleeve after losing 3 lots of 50kg (your 100lbs, I think?) over my lifetime, each time regaining what I'd lost plus more. I was getting older, always hungry and trying desperately to lose the last 20kg, but was only gaining instead.

*Shrugs*. It worked for me, I would never have lost weight without it. Obesity is a complex, difficult to treat condition but maintenance of that loss is even harder.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/7/16587316/bariatric-surgery-weight-loss-lap-band

https://asmbs.org/patients/bariatric-surgery-misconceptions

Not high quality links, sorry, but I'm off to the gym soon and just Googled quickly.
  • pinuplove
    edited December 2018
    MFP avatars have devolved into kittehs and mooscles.

I would like to state for the record that the original comment was relevant to the discussion at hand. But apparently people are defensive about their 90's footwear :lol:

I like my kitteh avatar. Anything else would require actual effort on my part, and that ain't happenin'!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    MFP avatars have devolved into kittehs and mooscles.

I would like to state for the record that the original comment was relevant to the discussion at hand. But apparently people are defensive about their 90's footwear :lol:

I like my kitteh avatar. Anything else would require actual effort on my part, and that ain't happenin'!

I LOVE your avatar.

I do appreciate an orange and white kitty, though. And the face is perfect for MFP.