Low carb Vs keto

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I agree that bringing up the blue zones to compare to the Magic Pill was not needed. The Magic Pill is a show on reducing carbs to treat health issues like IR, autism, obesity and such, whereas the blue zones have multiple lifestyle factors that affect a person's longevity, not to mention the fact that those in the blue zones tend to have lower rates of the health issues being treated in the show.

One is preventative life style, area, genetics and other factors (often including a diet high in unrefined and minimally processed, whole food carbs) whereas the show is just about treating a handful of lifestyle based health issues with a diet lower in carbs (mainly refined and processed).

Blue zones would be relevant to bring up when Magic Pill is mentioned as a motivator to look into low carb for improved health only if the blue zones have been shown to help treat those health issues too. Two different topics. Like comparing apples and... Steak. Jmo.

Faulting the blue zone lifestyles for not producing evidence that it will treat certain lifestyle-induced health issues because the lifestyle creates fewer lifestyle-induced health issues . . . I think I need to log off now.

Faulting the blue zones? Where? I said it is preventative in terms of some of the health issues being treated in the show.

I was just pointing out that the show and the blue zones show two very different things and and one is not on topic. We could also bring up exercise being good for longevity or not smoking reducing cancer risk but those topics also have nothing to do with lowering carbs to achieve a health improvement.
  • MercifulRelease
    MercifulRelease Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2018
    Spinach is one of the lowest carbohydrate vegetables and 100 grams has 3.8 grams of carbohydrates. So eating 600 grams would be over 20 grams of carbohydrates. What vegetables are you eating 600 grams of while being "well under" 20 grams of carbohydrates?
    I count net carbs. (It's never thrown me out of ketosis.) The brand of raw fresh spinach I use has 1.8g per 100g.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I agree that bringing up the blue zones to compare to the Magic Pill was not needed. The Magic Pill is a show on reducing carbs to treat health issues like IR, autism, obesity and such, whereas the blue zones have multiple lifestyle factors that affect a person's longevity, not to mention the fact that those in the blue zones tend to have lower rates of the health issues being treated in the show.

One is preventative life style, area, genetics and other factors (often including a diet high in unrefined and minimally processed, whole food carbs) whereas the show is just about treating a handful of lifestyle based health issues with a diet lower in carbs (mainly refined and processed).

Blue zones would be relevant to bring up when Magic Pill is mentioned as a motivator to look into low carb for improved health only if the blue zones have been shown to help treat those health issues too. Two different topics. Like comparing apples and... Steak. Jmo.

Faulting the blue zone lifestyles for not producing evidence that it will treat certain lifestyle-induced health issues because the lifestyle creates fewer lifestyle-induced health issues . . . I think I need to log off now.

Faulting the blue zones? Where? I said it is preventative in terms of some of the health issues being treated in the show.

I was just pointing out that the show and the blue zones show two very different things and and one is not on topic. We could also bring up exercise being good for longevity or not smoking reducing cancer risk but those topics also have nothing to do with lowering carbs to achieve a health improvement.

I think what would be nice is to understand what the OPs health concerns are and what is her current plan, both diet and exercise. While diet can have an effect on health, exercise does too... The combination will often provide much more of an impact as compared to diet alone.

True. Details do help.
  • dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    This topic (or maybe it’s just any topic on the internet :) )continues to be very polarizing . People get grumpy with each over it. The fact is no one way of eating is helpful to everyone because everyone is so different. I think most people get that people have different responses to what they intake than others ... just common sense.
    I sure wish folks would just respect each other and their views.
    Everyone is on their own journey and no one on here is an expert on everyone else’s health.
  • TheMiniKeto
    TheMiniKeto Posts: 31 Member
    I do a combination of keto and low carb..just depends on how I feel. I find for me my body responds better when I switch back and forth.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    dulcitonia wrote: »
    This topic (or maybe it’s just any topic on the internet :) )continues to be very polarizing . People get grumpy with each over it. The fact is no one way of eating is helpful to everyone because everyone is so different. I think most people get that people have different responses to what they intake than others ... just common sense.
    I sure wish folks would just respect each other and their views.
    Everyone is on their own journey and no one on here is an expert on everyone else’s health.

Word.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member

OP's interest is in eating for health. The very point is that a low carbohydrate diet doesn't have exclusive claims to being a diet that promotes good health.

The OP asked "I'm debating whether or not to do low carb, Vs keto for my health." So that is the topic. Taking the word health to extrapolate it relating to blue zones is a stretch. IMO
  • rsclause
    After so many years trying all kinds of BS diets, I am back to the basics that made me lose 20 KG in 8 month, Calories In minus Calories Out, and as usual, it works!

Nothing wrong with that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm debating whether or not to do low carb, Vs keto for my health.

I'm not sure I can do keto, but I do like some of the recipes
    Just not enough veggies for me.

I can and have done lower carb...but I could never do keto. While I do eat meat, my diet is heavily plant based and things like beans, lentils, oats, potatoes and other tubers, veggies, and fruit are staples in my diet.
  • rsclause
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I can and have done lower carb...but I could never do keto. While I do eat meat, my diet is heavily plant based and things like beans, lentils, oats, potatoes and other tubers, veggies, and fruit are staples in my diet.

I can eat veggies daily but I must admit I do miss the potatoes, tubers and fruit. The bread not as much as I thought I would.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018

That's how I feel. I tried keto for a while and missed fruit and felt like I was too dependent on meat for protein (and also I was always hitting about 35 net carbs with my carbs mostly from veg plus some nuts). I like eating lower carb, however.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

That's how I feel. I tried keto for a while and missed fruit and felt like I was too dependent on meat for protein (and also I was always hitting about 35 net carbs with my carbs mostly from veg plus some nuts). I like eating lower carb, however.

Out of curiosity some time ago I calculated what I would need on keto with my weight loss calorie target... @ 70F/20P/10C my fat intake would be around 195 grams @ 2500 calories per day. Even at a lower target of 2,000 calories per day, it would have been around 155.5 grams...I personally can't imagine eating that much dietary fat.

I'm also just not convinced that there aren't health repercussions down the road with keto...I'm not aware of any long term studies on keto and human health...I am aware of many long term studies on eating a diet rich in plants.