5'4 girls... "perfect" weight?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wow what a terrible turn this thread has taken. I guess I'll take my 125 lb, 18% body fat, man-armed self and go home.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Wow what a terrible turn this thread has taken. I guess I'll take my 125 lb, 18% body fat, man-armed self and go home.

Here here.

Im currently at 115. I want to be around 120 lbs of lean muscle.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    What you really need to ask yourself, is what body type do you want and what is "perfect" to you. YOu seem to be envious of the 'athletic' body types. If you like curves, and a 'healthy' looking body it takes a lot of work. And, most of those girls weigh way more than you think. At 5'5 I typically sit around 165-170lbs, but, I also maintain 19%-20% bodyfat. Do you lift? If you you do, and do it properly with coaching and help you can quickly change the make-up of your body. those girls at 5'4 and 125lbs are 99% of the time what I call Skinny-Fat. They're cute and little, and look fine in clothes, but take it off, see them in a bikini at the beach and they just jiggle....typically sitting at around 30% body fat, verging on the definition of obese.
    So, what do you like? If you looked through instagram at pics of girls, who inspires you? Whos body do you want?
    I love having a 28inch waist and 42 inch hips, I love my muscular calves and boulder shoulders, lol....but it takes time, dedication and eating to support the bodybuilder type lifestyle. .

Wut?!?!

Im 5'4" and 115. Does it look like i jiggle or have 30% bodyfat?
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    But this thread was posted two years ago lol. I don't get why people resurrect such oldass threads just to argue with people who may not even be here anymore.
  • ehorner5
    ehorner5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and currently weight 130 lbs. I'm 26 years old and have PCOS very bad, so children probably will never come my way (been off BC for 4 yrs now after a miscarriage. Hubby's fertile, I am not). I started my journey 2 years ago at 198. My goal originally was 150 lbs. Then it was 140 lbs. Then I looked at Scarlet Johhason and my exercise regiment and said, "...why the hell not". My current goal is 125. I've gotten down to 129 but that as far as I've been able to go. Like everyone in my family we gain muscle very easily. I can't loose the weight by cutting any more calories ( I stay around 1400 a day, I'll increase to 1600 depending on how much exercise I get that day). I cross train so weight, HIT, and distance run 6-7 days a week. I've doubled my regiment in the last 30-40 days and kept off 10 lbs. **Fingers crossed** Hopefully I can get to my perfect weight in a few month and be happy with it.
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4", currently 113lbs. I have a small thin frame, 21% body fat. I think I am pretty happy with my weight, but my butt is completely gone! I am trying to do squats to gain some muscle there, and I don't mind if I gain a few pounds doing so.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread!
  • somethingsoright
    somethingsoright Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    falalhshsh wrote: »
    Well I’m 5’4 and I weigh 109 pounds. I hate it when people are like “your too skinny” or “you don’t need to lose weight” or anything related because a lot of the time this actually would hurt my feeling and makes me uncomfortable. I would really like to aim for a weight of 102

In my 20s, I weighed slightly less than you and was set on losing more because of my pear shaped body. I just wanted my thighs to match the rest of me, you know? Then I met my husband and we started going to the gym together. He talked me into to doing heavier weight training, less cardio, and eating more. OMG, what a difference it made to my body! I ended up gaining about 10 lbs (in a matter of months) and changed my body shape. Lots of upper body weight training filled out my shoulders and arms, balancing out my thighs. I learned that my thighs weren't the problem. They were naturally muscular because of all the running I did. It was my upper body that needed work.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" as well and have always felt best in the 120-130 range. Not sure how I'd look smaller than that because I've really never had the desire to get there.
    I think the best weight for you depends a lot on how much muscle you have, as others have said, and also what shape you are.
    I'm more of an hour glass/pear type shape with medium frame. I think your specific build has a lot to do with your sizing as well. I know people who can be in my same size while weighing a lot more than me, but my shape makes me need jeans that don't fit my waist to accommodate the lower half. On the other hand, an apple shape would probably wear a larger shirt than me at the same weight.
    Our shape is largely genetic and the best we can do is do our best and ultimately work with it and learn to love it.
    That's not to see that everyone doesn't have the capability to look fabulous, just that everyone's fabulous will look a little different.
  • msmagoo810
    msmagoo810 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and I fluctuate between 127-131. I still have some belly fat at this weight however and my goal weight is 115-120. I have a small frame and not much muscle. My pants size is 10.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    So. I'm 5'4, 22 years old. I'm just looking for general feedback. A few years ago I weighed about 180. i DREAMED of being 160. Then I was 160. I DREAMED of being 150. Then, I wanted to be 140... I thought each time, with each goal, I'd feel happy and confident with myself. I am now about 136, and I feel like I still have at least ten more pounds to go. I see girls on here my height who want to be 100 pounds who look VERY thin, trying to lose weight. I feel like if you are at this height and 125 or under- you really don't NEED to lose... I'm sure you look just fine. I always think the girls that have some shape look the best. What is your opinion on an ideal weight for a girl that is 5'4? I'd say anywhere from 120-130 (unless you're athletic and/or muscular [jealous]) ... then I see the girls who are 105 and asking on message boards "WHY CANT I LOSE ANY WEIGHT!?" Girl you can't lose weight because you'd have to chop off a limb. Opinions?

Although BMI is a load of baloney, the supposed max weight for 5 foot 4 is 140 if you are under 50 years of age. At the age of 50, they add 5 pounds to it -raising it to 145. But it used to be 145 as the base many years ago--they adjusted it downward.

At 5 foot 4 Inches (my height), body type and muscle mass matter. BMI is an estimation. It is not 100% accurate. It does not take body type into account. It is supposed to be a guideline, NOT a rule.

Below are 2 people at the same height:

Even when I am lazy as heck, I have the calf muscles of a long-distance runner and the thighs of an Olympic shot-putter. I have wide shoulders. I am built like the images of the stout farm wives you read about in a Steinbeck novel. I can get down to 135/145, but it is miserable. Plus, I don't look good below 160 pounds. I get emaciated on the top half. My bottom half stops losing at 160 pounds. I'm always cold. I've learned that 160 to 180 looks good, feels good, and works for me. My health is good at 160 to 180.

My good friend is also 5 foot 4 inches. She has narrow shoulders and a narrow pelvis. narrow rib cage. Her ankles and wrists are tiny. She weighs 105 pounds. She eats like a trucker after a three-week fast. Her goal is to get UP to 110 pounds.

Same height, and different body types.

We are the same height. Are body types and goals are drastically different do to body type, genetics, metabolism, activity level, and several other things. She could never be 130 pounds, I don't think she could eat enough to do it and her frame couldn't handle it. I look like I've been half-starved in the 130s.

FIND A GOOD WEIGHT FOR YOU. One that is maintainable. One where you have energy and your overall health is good. One where you think you look good. When you get there, stop.

Even the BMI calculator--which isn't accurate--says to give yourself the option of at least 140 pounds. More if you are heading toward menopause. BMI says you should weigh at least 110.

You can't judge your weight and health by comparing yourself to others. You have to look at your health and what works for your life and body type. If someone is 5 foot 4 and their body struggles to get below 105, it is probably because the weight is too low for their frame/muscle type, and height.

Good luck in finding your personal goal.

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    When I am at 135, I can maintain it easily by watching what I eat, but still treating myself, and working out a few times a week, which was manageable for me. When I was trying to stay down at 110, I had to practically starve myself, and was constantly fasting. Which realistically is NOT manageable.
    Also - While BMI's aren't 100% accurate. They do give you an idea on what a healthy range is. It's your job to find out what in the range works for you. For a female that is 5'4'' a healthy BMI range is between 108-132 lbs. Hope this helps!

Just a heads up---You are off on the healthy BMI range--though the BMI is only a guideline.

110-140 is the BMI range for 5 foot 4 inches. I don't follow the BMI, but you had the ranger lower than the official guideline. 140 pounds is the Max for BMI health weight range for this height. According to my doctor, add 5 pounds at menopause.

See the link to the American Cancer Society below--they post the official BMI guideline.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/risk-prevention/diet-physical-activity/body-weight-and-cancer-risk/adult-bmi.html

Although I still think it is a horrible guideline since it doesn't add in body frame.

:smiley:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Heads-up that this thread was started in 2012 and the OP hasn't been around for four years.