Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, flax seeds and berries.
  • magpye76
    magpye76 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use a little cinnamon and pear and apple baby puree. Needs no sugar , me and the boy love it :) or, a punnet of fresh blueberries cooked down with a tiny bit of maple syrup til it goes all jammy. Yum! :)
  • cinnnylooohoo
    cinnnylooohoo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is a poll. I think most people go with something like cream or honey, but some folks get really creative.

i recently tried a buckwheat hot cereal with greek yogurt and blueberries.. it was pretty dang good
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    For cooked I do one of two:

Honey and raisins. Sometimes cinnamon. Silas of milk added after cooled.

Chopped and sauteed sweet Bell peppers and red onion, cumin, chili powder, one over easy egg, cottage cheese, and shredded cheddar.

Both are done on the stove and are super filling. The second one I use when I know I'm not going to be able to eat for a loooong time or when I'm going on a pretty intense hiking day. I don't even start to feel a little hungry until 5-6 hours after eating it.

For over night oats I usually do apples, cinnamon, chia seeds, pb powder, honey, and whatever milk alternative I have (usually almond coconut blend). I normally only do overnight oats if I'm leaving for an early vacation and I'm driving or if I'm leaving very early for a hiking trip.

Usually rolled oats, sometimes steel cut. I haven't had a packet since I was a kid and they were the only ones I did in the microwave.

Grits get butter and cheese. Cream of wheat gets butter and white sugar and is done in the microwave.
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    My staple add-ins are salt, cinnamon, vanilla, and stevia or brown sugar, and lately some ginger, and then either bananas, strawberries, pumpkin, nuts, pears, or whatever sounds good that day or the week, or whatever is available. Pineapple and coconut is a pretty delicious combo. Shredded cooked carrots, squash, sweet potato are all good too. I haven't tried savory oats but I don't think I care to.
  • macrob73
    macrob73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Protein powder, PB2, something to sweeten it (like fruit, dates or prunes), almonds and top it with organic shaved coconut! Yum!
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love doing the gluten free rolled oats 1/2 cup with 1/2 a scoop of peanut butter chocolate protein whey powder and a dash of cinnamon :) I use the other scoop of protein powder in my coffee and now I don't really use creamer :)
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find anything to put in oatmeal that conceals the fact that it tastes like paste. Wish I could, because it's so cheap. I hate sweet breakfasts and am trying to eat minimal sugar. I also have between 5 minutes and no time at all to make and eat breakfast before I have to go to work. Won't be improved by waking up earlier (it's Synthroid, see thread I started about Synthroid and breakfast for details).

It's both the flavorlessness and the gloppy texture that get me every time.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Steel cut has a better texture. That's why I prefer it.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I have yet to find anything to put in oatmeal that conceals the fact that it tastes like paste. Wish I could, because it's so cheap. I hate sweet breakfasts and am trying to eat minimal sugar. I also have between 5 minutes and no time at all to make and eat breakfast before I have to go to work. Won't be improved by waking up earlier (it's Synthroid, see thread I started about Synthroid and breakfast for details).

It's both the flavorlessness and the gloppy texture that get me every time.

My first was to say, "you're cooking it wrong" or "you just haven't had a type of oatmeal with a texture that works for you" but in reality the better response is, if you don't like the texture/taste then don't eat it. There are definitely foods that I don't like for various reasons that people think I'm crazy for not liking. That doesn't mean I'm going to eat them though.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Pb2 ground flax garbanzo beans blueberries
  • SpicyWater
    SpicyWater Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm a ovo-lacto vegetarian, so I'm always looking for more ways to sneak protein into my oatmeal - I eat overnight oats almost every morning. Most days I do 0.5cup frozen berries, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4-1/2 cup some kind of yogurt (Greek if it's on sale) and 0.5tbsp maple syrup. I can't stomach oatmeal without sweetener yet.
    Other days I'll do PB powder, 1/4 or 1/8 cup walnuts or pecans, and cinnamon.
    Lately I've been adding hemp seed protein powder to it as well - I bought it on a whim and in oatmeal is the only way I can stomach it. It adds extra fiber/protein, but kind of tastes like hay unless you disguise it.
    Today I made hot oatmeal as I got up a little early and did 1 tbsp peanut butter and my usual berry blend. It was PBJ gooey, hot goodness. 10/10 would recommend.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I put berries and nuts with cream or milk on top. Sometimes peanut butter and jam.
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Walnuts, bananas, and blueberries, usually.

Sometimes other berries, chia, flax seeds.
  • IHateMyThyroid
    IHateMyThyroid Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I like steel cut. It takes an hour to cook.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I like steel cut. It takes an hour to cook.

It doesn't. You boil water and then simmer for 10-20 mins.

However, the BEST way to cook steel cuts if you have a rice cooker is in the rice cooker. I love to get it started (takes 2 minutes), go out for a run, and come home to steel cut oats ready to eat.
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Fruit: banana, apple, berries
    Chia seeds
    Greek yogurt
    Cottage cheese
    Almonds/almond butter
    Stevia/Jordan’s skinny syrups
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Maybe steel cut oats cooking times vary by brand. Mine (Flahavan's or Bob's Red Mill) generally take around 40 minutes to get how I like them. Lemurcat's rice cooker method sounds like a good bet.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Maybe steel cut oats cooking times vary by brand. Mine (Flahavan's or Bob's Red Mill) generally take around 40 minutes to get how I like them. Lemurcat's rice cooker method sounds like a good bet.

I do mine in an instant pot, same theory as the rice cooker. Takes just as long but you don't have to babysit them, unlike doing them on a stove. In my experience they take 45 minutes on a stovetop and 25 minutes (wild rice setting) with the instant pot, plus you need to let it gradually depressurize which takes another ten.

I've heard that doing them in milk, which I do, takes longer, so maybe it's less time with water.

In any case I do four or five days ahead, and it keeps in the fridge and can be nuked if you like it hot, so it takes about two minutes to make in the morning.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

My steel cuts are most commonly Bob's Red Mill, and I go by the info on the package (which is what I said, 10-20 min simmering).

That said, I rarely cook on the stove, only when staying with family.