Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The low fat diet. I agree that eating too much saturated fat can be a problem, but for me, having more fat in my diet has actually helped me lose weight. All I ever did on the low-fat diet was GAIN weight. Now that I maintain a good amount of healthy fat in my diet, I have lost 50 pounds and been able to maintain it for 4 years. I never want to say that my eating plan works for everyone, but it sure worked much better for me.

Who is recommending a low fat diet? Most recommendations are .4-.6 of body weight which for many ppl is in the 50-80g range which I wouldn’t call low-fat by any stretch
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Halo Top is not the food of the gods.

Yeah. I went there.

Dairy-free Halo Top has hit the shelves of my exotic locale, and salted caramel has turned out to be a true disappointment after all the hype I read on here.

I think it tastes more like frozen pudding than like ice cream. But if you're diabetic, the low carbs are sure nice. I can just about eat one serving (not one pint, one fourth of a pint) of Halo Top, and zero servings of regular ice cream, without my blood sugar spiking. So having a reasonable facsimile of ice cream is a big deal to me.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    The low fat diet. I agree that eating too much saturated fat can be a problem, but for me, having more fat in my diet has actually helped me lose weight. All I ever did on the low-fat diet was GAIN weight. Now that I maintain a good amount of healthy fat in my diet, I have lost 50 pounds and been able to maintain it for 4 years. I never want to say that my eating plan works for everyone, but it sure worked much better for me.

Outside of managing specific medical conditions, it isn't at all common to see a low fat diet recommended here.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I would post that "words" thing, @AnnPT77....but we already had that discussion :wink:

This one?
    rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

I thought I said you could post it, with a credit to my visual journal? (. . . or did I? :neutral: ). You know, my IP and copyright on that lettering and newspaper collage are so darned valuable. Or not. ;) Korzybski's is, though - but I credited him. ;)

Yes.

Except, "Visual Journal" credit? See, I don't even know what that means so I would get that totally wrong. I just won't use it on here...

Now, other forums... :wink:
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I would post that "words" thing, @AnnPT77....but we already had that discussion :wink:

This one?

rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

I thought I said you could post it, with a credit to my visual journal? (. . . or did I? :neutral: ). You know, my IP and copyright on that lettering and newspaper collage are so darned valuable. Or not. ;) Korzybski's is, though - but I credited him. ;)

Yes.

Except, "Visual Journal" credit? See, I don't even know what that means so I would get that totally wrong. I just won't use it on here...

Fancy word for "picture book". :D
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,956 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

This one?

rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

Yes.

ah.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

This one?

rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

Yes.

Yup. Other people call them "art journals". Mine aren't; not shooting for Art, just fun play and messy self-expression.

Visual journal = journal/diary with more paint/paper/collage/sketches than plain written words.

On MFP, credit = "from @AnnPT77's visual journal". Off MFP, "from MFP user AnnPT77's visual journal". Easy. :)

eta: More people should try visual journaling. It's fun. Good for getting hands messy so it's hard to eat snacks, as a bonus.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

This one?

rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

Yes.

Yup. Other people call them "art journals". Mine aren't; not shooting for Art, just fun play and messy self-expression.

Visual journal = journal/diary with more paint/paper/collage/sketches than plain written words.

On MFP, credit = "from @AnnPT77's visual journal". Off MFP, "from MFP user AnnPT77's visual journal". Easy. :)

eta: More people should try visual journaling. It's fun. Good for getting hands messy so it's hard to eat snacks, as a bonus.

Any advice on how an unartistic soul could start? :smile:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

This one?

rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

Yes.

Yes. Let me think it over & I'll PM you within the next few days with some resources. It's way off topic for this thread! PM me: Do have any art supplies at all? Or any related hobbies? (Neither are necessary, but it might change what resources I'd suggest.)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

This one?

rco6wdgds1ra.jpg

Yes.

There's a ton of stuff on Pinterest about how to begin an art journal. Of course, taken with a grain of salt since what I put in mine (when I do) is not really all that artistic. Still, Pinterest is a good place to get/copy ideas. I consider it like that old quote - "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" or something like that.

I took a class once on art journaling. Some of the people were really talented and others not so much, but we all still had a good time.
  • colingibb
    colingibb Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    "You have to lift heavy if you don't want to look like a skinnyfat noodle person."

I'm just an n=1, but personally, my legs and butt look a million times better now that I'm just running and cycling than they ever did when I was trying a squat/deadlift type program. I have the quads and glutes I always wanted and was never able to achieve before. Strong Curves had nothing on my cycle commute. Even my abs are better now than when I followed a lifting program.

If people want to lift weights I think that's great (my husband does it exclusively and thinks cardio is evil, and he looks very fit and can certainly lift stuff I can't, even if he can't run a couple miles to save his life), but constantly crapping all over people who like cardio is kinda sucky and trying to deter people from running or whatever in favour of lifting is nonsensical to me. I like to run, I like to bike, and I get the results I want from it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Exercise is important and I think there's a place for strength training AND cardio, and the best workout routine is one you enjoy and will stick to.

That may be some of the best advice that I've seen in a long time!! 1) Do what you enjoy, because you can maintain it. 2) Do what works for you. The same thing absolutely does not work for everyone! Well said!
  • mschosting
    mschosting Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What I read constantly that I do not really agree is that everyone recommends a huge amount of protein per kg for weight loss.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mschosting wrote: »
    What I read constantly that I do not really agree is that everyone recommends a huge amount of protein per kg for weight loss.

Define 'huge.'
  • Copper_Boom
    Copper_Boom Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    If you're going out to eat stick to plain chicken with steamed vegetables.

If eating at a restaurant it's because I want to eat amazing food that I can't cook myself. One meal is not going to derail you. Allow yourself some enjoyment in life.

This is true for some people, but not all! I eat lunch out at restaurants (either local or fast food) five days a week with my coworkers. I also go out to dinner at least once (usually twice) weekends. I have to be mindful of what I eat or I will gain rather than maintain my weight.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    If you're going out to eat stick to plain chicken with steamed vegetables.

If eating at a restaurant it's because I want to eat amazing food that I can't cook myself. One meal is not going to derail you. Allow yourself some enjoyment in life.

That's valid when you are choosing to eat out. Much of the time when I eat out it's because relatives dragged me to some horrible place with calorie laden food I don't want on any level.