What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Here's one I haven't seen, but since everyone is talking about fruitcake:

I think putting alcohol in desserts/candy absolutely ruins them. I like it in savory dishes, it's wonderful in a mushroom gravy, but in pecan pie? No.

Caveat: I don't drink, but I felt this way when I did drink.

I agree. Way to ruin a perfectly good dessert. I've also heard of people putting alcohol in a watermelon and that just appalls me. Why would you ruin a watermelon like that?

A vodka-saturated watermelon enlivened our high school senior picnic.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

I think putting alcohol in desserts/candy absolutely ruins them. I like it in savory dishes, it's wonderful in a mushroom gravy, but in pecan pie? No.

No! You will not dis my Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie. <stomps foot>
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

I agree. Way to ruin a perfectly good dessert. I've also heard of people putting alcohol in a watermelon and that just appalls me. Why would you ruin a watermelon like that?

Other then making a desert boozey for no reason other then boozey dessert, adding alcohol to sweets can add a really nice flavor IMO. For example ameretto liquer to a cheesecake, spiced rum to a pecan pie, or a cake adds a level of flavor that just plain vanilla extract wouldn't add. The actual alchohol flavor bakes out leaving you with the flavor elements such as spice or almond in the dessert. I did screw up once and add this supposed "high end" rum to my pecan pie once...(captain morgan private stock to be exact). It was awful. The taste was as if I just dumped a couple shots in while it was fresh out of the oven... Blech. Next time I baked it with some Krakken and I came away with the added spicey flavor and compliment to the vanilla extract I was going for.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I have 2 unpopular opinions: It does matter if I eat too late in the day & it does matter WHAT I eat (within my calories)

Well how dare you
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms taste like moldy papier mache, and coffee tastes like scorched potting soil.

Raw mushrooms are unpleasant.

Cooked mushrooms are one of the best foods that exist.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Mushrooms taste like moldy papier mache, and coffee tastes like scorched potting soil.

Raw mushrooms are unpleasant.

Cooked mushrooms are one of the best foods that exist.

I concur with both of these sentiments.

My in laws bought a very large container of cling film at a warehouse club many years ago. It outlived them, and we inherited it. It had a picture of a bowl of salad on it with raw mushrooms on top of it, and every time I used that stuff, I was always grossed out by the thought of those mushrooms.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter! The smell is just gross! And the way it looks... :s
  • admaarie
    admaarie Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Maybe I’m biased because I’m Canadian, but dunkin donuts is gross. I’ve tried it twice while in the states and it’s been a no from me both times. Tim Horton’s is 10x better IMO.

Also, chocolate chip cookies are overrated and would much rather have a white macadamia nut, ginger, or oatmeal cookie any day over a chocolate chip.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »
    Maybe I’m biased because I’m Canadian, but dunkin donuts is gross. I’ve tried it twice while in the states and it’s been a no from me both times. Tim Horton’s is 10x better IMO.

Also, chocolate chip cookies are overrated and would much rather have a white macadamia nut, ginger, or oatmeal cookie any day over a chocolate chip.

Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are good. With high quality chocolate discs or chunks, not Toll House morsels with the weird waxy coating.

Raisins, however, do not belong in cookies. Or carrot cake or cinnamon rolls or bread pudding. Just NO!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    admaarie wrote: »

Haha, I am the opposite! I think tim hortons coffee is so overrrated. I think it is terrible but everyone seems to just love it. I think the major reason most people around here like it is because of the heavy whipping cream they use.

I love dunkin coffee though, especially that they offer almond milk. I hate strong coffee though.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Dunkin Donuts is meh, but I don't think it's highly rated, maybe in New England?

I was excited to try Tim Hortons since Canadians talk about it, but I thought it was meh too.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

I posted the same thing earlier in the thread. I am not trying you a hard time about not remembering everything in this massive thread; I certainly don't. I think liquor/liqueurs/beer/wine is a gimmick and the substitutes for non drinkers generally taste better. I also don't drink, though in my case it's because I had to retire my jersey because I was so good at it. That means I need to stay away from it on principle even if the alcohol is completely evaporated by cooking.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Dunkin Donuts is meh, but I don't think it's highly rated, maybe in New England?

I was excited to try Tim Hortons since Canadians talk about it, but I thought it was meh too.

As a Canadian who has resided in the US for 18+ yrs... Tim Horton's coffee is meh, Dunkin's coffee is meh (caveat, both their dark roasts are better than regular) and McDonald's coffee is better than either.

I love McDonalds coffee. :love:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options

I posted the same thing earlier in the thread. I am not trying you a hard time about not remembering everything in this massive thread; I certainly don't. I think liquor/liqueurs/beer/wine is a gimmick and the substitutes for non drinkers generally taste better. I also don't drink, though in my case it's because I had to retire my jersey because I was so good at it. That means I need to stay away from it on principle even if the alcohol is completely evaporated by cooking.

Oops! I also have short term memory (and some other cognitive) issues thanks to a medication and benign brain tumor, so me forgetting something recent is really par for the course.

Back to the subject, though. I'll never forget the time my husband and I went out to dinner for our first anniversary. I had put on weight and had been dieting and we had started up a new business and were living frugally. Everything about this meal was going to be a splurge. Nothing in the menu description prepared me for how they desecrated their pecan pie.