Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Would you eat cricket protein?

NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
This week's "Hidden Brain" was about how people decide what we consider food and what we don't. I caught part of the show on my way to a hiking trail, people were commenting that you can't even tell the protein bar was made with ground up crickets.

So ... would you?

Here's the podcast version of anyone wants to listen: https://www.npr.org/2018/12/13/676467019/yum-and-yuck-the-psychology-of-what-we-eat-and-what-we-spit-out

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I'm a kosher vegetarian, so that would be a "no". Unless it was a matter of life and death, of course.
  • TheBigYin1984
    TheBigYin1984 Posts: 286 Member
    I’ve eaten insects when they were on the menu a few times. So not a problem for me.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Yes, I would.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    I would try it. I had molpani worms in Zimbabwe- they were actually pretty good. :)

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Yep! If it’s ground up into itty bitty pieces, I would eat it. I’m of the mindset, if you can’t see it, it won’t hurt you. :p
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited December 2018
    @cricketpower Thoughts?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I'm a kosher vegetarian, so that would be a "no". Unless it was a matter of life and death, of course.

If we take out the vegetarian part then your answer is very similar answer to mine.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Yup, I’d eat it. I have zero problems with the idea of eating insects.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    I’ve eaten insects when they were on the menu a few times. So not a problem for me.

Ditto.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    No, beef is my preferred protein.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    The ones made from Cricket flour? I would eat it, if all other options were eliminated. I would rather eat ossobuco, steak or lamb though. For the protein hit, gimme 2 eggs thanks and I will roll over the surplus negligible calories . 😉
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    In terms of protein powders, I don’t see any advantage to it over my plant based powder so I prefer to not eat them. Perhaps I would try a chapuline taco if I visit Mexico.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I tried growing/breeding crickets to feed my lizards, what a stinky hobby. Not good a good idea.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Not unless I had to.
    I have vomitted in the past after watching someone eat insects. I have a particular phobia of crickets so thinking about eating them even ground up would have a strong reaction. There would be a large mental hurdle to get over for me.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yup I would try it. I'm not a fan of eating the insect itself due to the texture (feeling of the crunch and legs) but all ground up, ya why not.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I tried growing/breeding crickets to feed my lizards, what a stinky hobby. Not good a good idea.

It really is so stinky. My brother had a pet lizard and the crickets would die and rot... Yickkk that smell :s