• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    orangegato wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    orangegato wrote: »
    Hiking
    Alcohol and eating badly. I’m trying to do less of this but it’s hard. This is my first thought whenever I have a bad day at work. My work is stressful so this is happening way too much

I have meetings two afternoons a week that can be stressful, so I try to take a long lunch those days and lift heavy, so I'm nice and relaxed for the meetings.

I really don’t think I can do something prophylactic. But I can take something. And so I’m going to look into medication. Especially now that winter is coming and I’m unlikely to go hiking or be outside as much. Plus the days are so short and the lack of sun makes me depressed.

Vit D?

Have tried vit D, doesn't help
    Still not on psych meds yet
    Someone told me they think I enjoy hiking b/c of endorphins. So I should exercise daily.
  • Whey125
    Whey125 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Exercise which I do at home. It helps clear my head.

I also read a lot on my kindle app.

Sleep helps too :)
  • lizziequek
    lizziequek Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    yoga, gyrotonics , brisk walk with my dog , eating a (small !) portion of dark chocolate
  • shelbert111
    shelbert111 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My thought is yoga, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, rolling(ground control), and walking is great!
  • cogirljb55
    cogirljb55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like taking my dog for a walk, it's always quiet/peaceful time for me!!!
  • competeagain4x
    competeagain4x Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Rolling jiujitsu
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,304 Member
    Options
    at home with kids.. so what I do at home is a bubble bath every night, I put my computer on a stand and watch Netflix or amazon prime.. and choose a fun favorite movie that makes you happy. I light candles and drink sparkling water, or wine. Also, rubbing lavender essential oil into my feet and legs helps me relax and the aroma is a known stress reducer. also, many find those adult art/coloring books useful. Many say coloring in them receives stress.

but with your kids.. the trick is to find some alone time, either when they'r en bed or if Dad can take them off your hands for two hours so you can just have your own time.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Paddling, fishing, hiking and other outdoor pursuits. I hate winter; going in to high stress season now. And it kicks off with the ever stressful holidays...

Not sure why anyone would woo this.

Have a hug to balance it out. Hope winter goes quickly for you.

People are SUCH jerks on here lately and will "woo" everything. Rude.
  • Dakotacole13
    Dakotacole13 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Exercise
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I pray
    I read a good book- look at a feel good movie or a good anime - exercise(walking) or light body weight exercise
    listen to good music and talk on phone to friends or family
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    For me running and cycling are the thing to do. My coworkers think that exercise caused me to lose weight. They don't understand that exercise helped me reduce stress that contributed to overeating. I can go hammer out 30 miles on the bike and the world is round and beautiful again when I get home.

Same for me. It's not just the calories I burn, it's all the stress eating I avoid.

Ditto. Lifting, yoga, hiking, cardio, more yoga.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I dance my butt off with the kids. Have an 18 month old, 8 year old and 19 year old and it's an activity that has bonded us, had us laughing together, helped with a lot of my initial weight loss and just been a general Godsend helping me de-stress since we bought the Just Dance game this January for our Nintendo Switch games console.
    My husband jokes that I'm obsessed especially when he comes home late and finds me playing it alone after the youngest kids have gone to bed but I honestly don't know where I'd be without it! When I'm dancing all my troubles disappear and I feel so much happier afterwards.
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    Options
    For me, it’s about noticing what actually helps vs. what seems helpful in the moment but makes me feel worse long term. For example, when I’m really stressed I want to eat lots of treats, stay inside and binge-watch Netflix, and avoid social situations. But that all makes me feel lousier at the end of the day. What actually helps me is being outside, not stuffing myself, and making time to do things with a few close friends.

Specifically with young kids it made a big difference for me to meet other parents with similar aged kids to get together and swap play dates.
  • bootyrubsandtacos
    bootyrubsandtacos Posts: 775 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Hot showers
    Watching cat videos, playing with my cat
    Benzos
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Exercise, shower, shop.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    For me it is a nice long walk in nature but if I am angry that walk might turn into spurts of running (don't tell my physio). Sometimes a bubble bath can help. At times though the only thing that will help is a bloody good cry although I find this hard as I tend to run from my emotions rather than confront them.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Liana_Ish wrote: »
    Exercise, shower, shop.
    It's possible to do the first two together.
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    2018 has been the most stressful year I've ever had.

Right now, I can't de-stress. I feel like if I were to relax, everything would spiral out of control.

However, I am trying to do some things to take the pressure off once in a while.

One of those things is running. I hadn't been a runner for 30 years but I'm finding that it is helpful.

Another thing is taking about 15 minutes to read fiction before bed.

And I have rotating desktop wallpaper on my computer at work. I use 2 of my screens quite regularly so it's covered on those screens, but I can see it on my 3rd screen. So I've chosen photos and images that are relaxing and take me to places I want to be. Once in a while, I just pause and watch the screen for a few moments.

maybe some self care things in the meantime, treat yourself by getting your nails done, or something you enjoy. It is paramount!
  • foxtrot1965
    foxtrot1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    so needed this thread right now as a reminder that de-stressing IS possible even though changing some circumstances is not. The holidays are incredibly stressful for me, wishing everyone the best coping mechanisms possible!!