Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I hate most of the music the gym staff plays.. but none of the people working out have annoyed me lately..
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hogging all the machines, dancing between sets, singing out loud, not wiping sweat after using a machine. Oh, wait...I have a home gym. It's me. I'm that person. I'm such a *kitten*.

That sounds like me except i do wipe the equipment. LOL
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Whilst I was on the seated calf raise, a guy on the bench winked at me 😁 what is the world coming too.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    [/quote] ...... so, a half eaten banana sitting on top of a leg extension machine, like the one at my gym, is okay?

[/quote]

Gym etiquette is going bad to worse. The workers at the gym should put notices up.

• Mychal009
    Mychal009 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When someone decides they’re gonna step in and workout directly in front of you so you can’t see your form in the mirror (even tho you were there first)
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Groping me
  • MyFitnessAttorney
    Options
    Dancing in front of the water fountain.
  • Mychal009
    Mychal009 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Leaving their plates on the machine / bench
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hogging all the machines, dancing between sets, singing out loud, not wiping sweat after using a machine. Oh, wait...I have a home gym. It's me. I'm that person. I'm such a *kitten*.

I used to be that person too! Now I work out in public in a gym, so my karaoke dance-along has been reduced to a decent nod-dance...

Didn't have bad experiences to date, and where I started going people are really OK and everyone's doing their own thing (but they help if you have a question, or politely ask if they have something to ask). My first visit I was paralyzed, but this kinda relaxed attitude really helped.

Though a guy insisted to help with loading a 55 lb plate on the bar once. Like dude the plan is to deadlift that one and his brother, I think I'm okay.... thanks tho.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Gimsteinn1 wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    synchkat wrote: »
    Overweight personal trainers.

Yes! This makes me freaking crazy...

Why? Does not being a linebacker make bill bellichek a bad coach?!

There is a huge difference between teaching technique and honing skills in a sport as opposed to teaching health and fitness. That is why Bill Bellichick is not the strength and conditioning coach of the Patriots.

I am a trainer.....my body is my billboard that says yes, I buy into everything I'm expecting you to do. Any trainer who expects to push a client out of their comfort zone will get severe push back from them if the trainer appears to have not done so themselves. It's important to knowledgeable in what you are doing of course, but it holds more water to the client when the going gets tough that their trainer has actually put that knowledge into practical application.

So yeah, fat trainers are actually not very complete trainers.

I have a friend who is a Pilate's instructor. she is the strongest person I know and an incredible instructor, she knows everything but she suffers depression an medicates with food so is a larger gal. So her body isn't a good advertisement but once she starts showing exercises it becomes one.

I also have another friend who is round...a national level squash player and personal trainer. she anither crazy strong person. I guess the old adage...never judge a book by its cover can be applied here

There are always exceptions to any rule. But don't be fooled by the exception to think it's ok. Eating McDonald's and chocolate cake once a week won't make you fat and out of shape if it's the exception to your usual routine.....but eating it as your every meal will most definitely not be good for you. So, does the exception mean it's ok to eat that always.....no. Everybody knows someone that has done something unhealthy their whole life and lives a long life. Just because someone says, "my uncle smoked for 70yrs and lived to be 90 cancer free"......does that mean smoking isn't bad for you?

What you have offered here is anecdotal evidence to support your opinion of overweight personal trainers being good. I question anybody that is a certified professional that does not practice what they preach....ya see there, I can use an overused cliche as well.....

I totally get what you're saying and have been of that opinion too. Just wanted to (and here's another cliché) play devil's advocate.

I do honestly think these types of trainers have their place for those starting out and are intimidated by the physically gifted and beautiful types. I'm pretty sure that when I taught skating the fact I look the part of a figure skater added to my being busy.

and it's a good practice to not simply judge someone without knowing their individual story.

Im not saying every personal trainer that is in good shape is a good trainer either. So of course when hiring someone to help you with something as important as your health and fitness you should do your due diligence in making sure they are credible and a good fit for you. But all things being equal, a trainer with knowledge and the ability to practically apply it, should be more beneficial than one with knowledge and has not shown the ability to put it to use.

This! Now if you're training to become a strongman you go to a strongman gym and/or get a trainer who's very familiar with the sport.
    If you're gonna learn how to box, you'd hire a trainer who knows what kind of workouts would help you succeed in that sport
    If you wanna do bikini competition/body building, get a coach who's into it..

You don't hire an overweight coach unless you wan't to become overweight yourself. If he doesn't have discipline to take care of his own body, why do you think he'd have the discipline to be a good trainer and focus on your needs/progress if he can't focus on his own?

I don't think it's necessarily true. The fact that someone might have willpower issues doesn't necessarily mean that they don't know what they're talking about.

I mean, I had a friend who was obese and a 'naturally thin' (ie, someone who never had weight issues) friend was trying to help her and giving her advice about losing weight that just don't apply to people who have an eating problem. I'm chunkier than that friend so I actually know what the person is going through, and that telling her to 'eat clean' and never eat junk food isn't necessarily better long term than 'iifym' for example. That thin woman doesn't know - it comes naturally to her to just eat 'clean' and have a sliver portion of cake, and she doesn't understand why it might be hard for other people.

So basically, an overweight trainer might be able to give you more pertinent advice than a guy who's been fit with no eating issues all his life. And weight itself really doesn't make a difference when it comes to fitness basics - people are overweight because they eat too much, no matter how much they exercise.

I remember a pretty heated argument about the subject but I haven't changed my opinion one bit, lol.

I totally agree with this...when wAs the last time you saw a COACH that COULD play the sport they coach BETTER than the players...this first persons issue w trainers needing to be in great shape is just silly and ignorant.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    raindawg wrote: »
    Guys that are there for a social club instead of getting their work out in. I went to the gym earlier than usual a while back and was already a little cranky to start with and in a bit of a hurry to get my workout in. I walk up to a machine that is open and hear a "I'm using that machine still". I turn around and there's a guy standing there at another machine talking to his buddy who's sitting on the machine bench.

So I grit my teeth and walk around to the other side of them to use my next machine on the list. The guy sitting on the other machine bench says with a straight face " I'm using that one to and have three more sets". I blurted something like "It's impossible to tell what you guys are using and not using" as I walked away. One of the guys came up to let me know when they were done with the machine but by then it was too late. I said something like "good for you, you want a trophy or something" and went back to my workout. I'm usually not that snippy. Put me in a bad mood the rest of the workout.

I seen guys in groups chit chatting and giggling like girls

and for people who think ads for pf are hype...really. nothing like this goes on at pf.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I was using a back row machine, and opposite to that was the chest press. I saw this fat dude sitting probably taking a long break. So I continued doing my back workout. I got off to add weights and when I turned around the fatty jumped on the back row machine I was using and started rowing. I thought is that guy retarded. No manners, no ethics no moral. It vexed me out.

Who uses the word retarded anymore? The only thing you noticed about his was that he was a "fat dude"? Perhaps, he works out slower than you do. He may have been ready to get on the back row machine when you did first and didn't want to be rude so he waited until he thought you were done. It could be possible the person in the mirror is the rude one.

Edit: Just noticed that this was a post from 2017 but it still got under my skin, lol.
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Being asked if they can have my babies...can't you see I'm busy? Dannnnnng!

I mean, but can I 😁🙏🏻
  • Chael2dot0
    Chael2dot0 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Talk and socialize. Just f'in workout people or move to the lounge and off the workout area.
  • KKSW1981
    KKSW1981 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I work at a gym so I basically see this stuff daily. I can tell you that most of the time that people are really cool and just forget. But you better believe I will let them know if they didn't wipe a machine down or rear rack their weights. LOL. My biggest pet peeve is when people just walk into the gym without registering at the front desk. Like the gym should be free for the whole entire neighborhood. LOL Wth??? 😂
  • kaizaku
    Options
    KKSW1981 wrote: »
    I work at a gym so I basically see this stuff daily. I can tell you that most of the time that people are really cool and just forget. But you better believe I will let them know if they didn't wipe a machine down or rear rack their weights. LOL. My biggest pet peeve is when people just walk into the gym without registering at the front desk. Like the gym should be free for the whole entire neighborhood. LOL Wth??? 😂

Its good as a worker to remind people to wipe the machine after use. Problem arises when the workers don't give a damn. So many times I had to use my own gloves to wipe before use. Im not saying the sweat was little, it was like a mini puddle.
  • mustacheU2Lift
    mustacheU2Lift Posts: 5,844 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Groping me

Sorry :# not sorry
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Its good as a worker to remind people to wipe the machine after use. Problem arises when the workers don't give a damn. So many times I had to use my own gloves to wipe before use. Im not saying the sweat was little, it was like a mini puddle.

there's no reason to be shy.

in the past, I've picked up a clean towel from the front desk & handed it to someone not cleaning up after himself.

"Here. Here's a towel. Do us all a favor and wipe that equipment off. Okay? Thanks."
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

there's no reason to be shy.

in the past, I've picked up a clean towel from the front desk & handed it to someone not cleaning up after himself.

"Here. Here's a towel. Do us all a favor and wipe that equipment off. Okay? Thanks."

My gym is poor. No front desk, no tissues. Otherwise I would have taken a paper towel add water to wipe.