Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    gothchiq wrote: »
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    People sitting on machines just using their phones or talking to someone. People using one machine but putting their stuff on another. When you go to a totally empty machine and someone comes up and says "I was still using that." Guys who throw their heavy weights after lifting (so loud). The guys who scream and grunt and yell when lifting. People who lift barbells right in front of the rack so I have to wait to get what I need for the bench press. Male people who act like I'm not there and walk right into me or step right in front of me, between me and the mirror and start doing their own work out. The guys with BO so bad that I have to move away from them and go to another area.

These kinds of things are the reason why Planet Fitness has those rules/Lunk alarm. I realize some locations abuse the lunk alarm but.... Frankly I'd much rather live with their rules than deal with screaming pigbeasts day in and day out.

what is a lunk alarm?

LOL

Planet fitness will sound a fog horn and flash emergency lights if you grunt, drop weights too loudly or do anything that might intimidate other gym goers.

I'd be banned at PF in no time - as I can't help but grunt and wheeze during my working sets. I don't drop weights but I've come pretty close at times doing DB presses.

SO In order to stop people from being annoying and making noise, they do something that is excessively annoying and makes far more noise than the original infraction? Sounds smart. Smart like I will never go to a planet fitness kind of smart.

https://youtu.be/Odg2K25sLGg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    People sitting on machines just using their phones or talking to someone. People using one machine but putting their stuff on another. When you go to a totally empty machine and someone comes up and says "I was still using that." Guys who throw their heavy weights after lifting (so loud). The guys who scream and grunt and yell when lifting. People who lift barbells right in front of the rack so I have to wait to get what I need for the bench press. Male people who act like I'm not there and walk right into me or step right in front of me, between me and the mirror and start doing their own work out. The guys with BO so bad that I have to move away from them and go to another area.

These kinds of things are the reason why Planet Fitness has those rules/Lunk alarm. I realize some locations abuse the lunk alarm but.... Frankly I'd much rather live with their rules than deal with screaming pigbeasts day in and day out.

what is a lunk alarm?

LOL

Planet fitness will sound a fog horn and flash emergency lights if you grunt, drop weights too loudly or do anything that might intimidate other gym goers.

I'd be banned at PF in no time - as I can't help but grunt and wheeze during my working sets. I don't drop weights but I've come pretty close at times doing DB presses.

SO In order to stop people from being annoying and making noise, they do something that is excessively annoying and makes far more noise than the original infraction? Sounds smart. Smart like I will never go to a planet fitness kind of smart.

I thought the lunk alarm was just a marketing gimmick. Ours isn't even hooked up. Nobody cares about lunks at my PF. Half the people who go to it match that description. I guess it's different at different locations. I go to PF because it's close to my home, it's open 24/7, it has the basic stuff I need and it's super cheap. I don't go there to get away from lunks. LOL.
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    Options
    People who talk to you during your set! There's one guy at my gym who constantly does this to me, it's one thing to talk between sets but he just keeps going and going. Now I'm a nice guy so I don't so anything derogatory to him, in fact..I actually engage him in conservation during the sets only because I find it mentally challenging so I guess it's my own fault that he continues to do it..oh well..c'est la vie

If I was you, I would have told him "Hold on let me do this set and then I can talk to you after".
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Couple of days ago I saw a guy showing 2 fingers at the cardio machine, Mumbling and doing weird things. I think he was drunk. One girl went to a personal trainer to inform them. Then he was asked to leave.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Literally the only thing that bothers me at the gym are people with offensive odors. You have the ones who need a shower, the ones who don't wear deodorant, and also the ones who wear WAY too much cologne/body spray. I want to breathe while I'm working out - not gag.

Cologne sure, but you are at a GYM.. a common thing that happens at the gym is sweating.

Sure, but fresh sweat rarely smells extremely bad. Now, fresh sweat soaking into a workout shirt that hasn't been washed for a week or two....

Even fresh sweat can be gross - which leads me into one of my pet peeves...

Saw a guy (who I call "The Bear") doing planks on a gym mat right under the cable machine (also kinda *kitten* - there are areas you can do this and not block people from equipment). When he got up the mat he was using was SOAKED. It looked like he had pissed on it or something. He just rolled it up and put it back with the others. If you sweat THAT much please bring a beach towel with you. ;)

So many sweat like as though they came out of a shower. Worst part, some have no towel at all. To make it worse some wear a tank top.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

what is a lunk alarm?

I'd be banned at PF in no time -

a PF membership is what? 10 dollars?

I would gladly pay 10 dollars for the honor of banishment from Planet Fitness
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

what is a lunk alarm?

I'd be banned at PF in no time -

a PF membership is what? 10 dollars?

I would gladly pay 10 dollars for the honor of banishment from Planet Fitness

I've been trying for months to get banished but nothing ever happens. I even wore a spaghetti strap top and tight, skimpy shorts. Then I flexed in front of a mirror. Nobody. Cared. :(
  • moya_bleh
    moya_bleh Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me so glad that I converted my back room into a gym so I can train at home!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Cursing while lifting, in between lifting, etc...just because. F-Bomb's not necessary.

I have to disagree, when I've got myself all pysched up to attempt a PR then the F-bomb will leave my lips, because for my that is fecking heavy and if I lift it then I'm let all the happy steam out and if I fail then I'm still letting that steam out but it's not quite so happy.
  • 3lTony
    3lTony Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    People listening to there music on speaker like seriously? nobody wants to listen to your music
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    People who bring their portable stereos in and play their crappy music really loud annoys the hell out of me.

If they want to listen to that rubbish at least put headphone in
  • dwrightlaw
    dwrightlaw Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    3lTony wrote: »
    People listening to there music on speaker like seriously? nobody wants to listen to your music

Exactly!
    The first time I witnessed that, I was like WTF...there's these things called headphones...buy a pair!
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    18 inch jacked bis/tris/upper arms AND 10 inch quads/hammies/upper legs.

DJ Pauly D up top...Gilligan down below.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    Spraying of perfume/body spray/hairspray as walking through the locker room! A lot of us have allergies and asthma! There is a "vanity" area with a mirror, plug ins, etc that is set up for readying oneself, please don't walk over to the lockers/changing areas and spray a cloud inducing jet of body spray!!
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Attempting to speak to me while my headphones are in :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    The guy at the gym at work who walked into the locker room completely drenched in sweat after a lunch workout, undressed, toweled himself off, applied a layer of deodorant and cologne, put on his work clothes (including a tie), and shuffled back to work somewhere in the building. I'm sure that his coworkers just love him.
  • seansean2
    seansean2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Music without headphones, people screaming or talking to oneself, leaving weights on the floor or putting weights back in the wrong place...

The worst though is when somebody "claims" a piece of equipment (i.e. the only flat bench at my gym) then wanders around the gym doing other stuff while several people weight to use the equipment they've "claimed."