Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• servant2you
    servant2you Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Definitely the constant yelling and moaning.
  • Anna022119
    Anna022119 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Being stared at.

I get that you might be interested in what others are doing but constantly looking at other (female) gymmembers is highly annoying! 😈
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    There was this one guy who used to come to the gym where I go who always sounded like he was in labor giving birth to watermelon sized twins breach. OMG I hated when he was there
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I’m grossed out by sweat. So, nasty machines or people dripping sweat all over stuff just does it for ne

My gym is full of sweat, no one wipes. A dude walks around as though he had a shower. The worst part, he doesn't have a towel. Just lets it drip. I avoid walking past him, I don't want any sweat to fall on me.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Definitely the constant yelling and moaning.

I remember a guy was on the reverse Hamstring machine, he was making loud moaning sex sounds lol
  • CttyMoar
    CttyMoar Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is a grocery store in the same building as my gym and I hate seeing people touching fruit and things after the gym, when I know they didn't wash their damn hands.
  • Bullet_with_Butterfly_Wings
    Options
    CttyMoar wrote: »
    There is a grocery store in the same building as my gym and I hate seeing people touching fruit and things after the gym, when I know they didn't wash their damn hands.

I don't understand what annoys you about this. How else are people supposed to select their fruit if not with their hands? And whether they came from the gym or not I don't trust the cleanliness of produce in the grocery store anyway. It all gets washed before consumption in my house.
  • CttyMoar
    CttyMoar Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I don't understand what annoys you about this. How else are people supposed to select their fruit if not with their hands? And whether they came from the gym or not I don't trust the cleanliness of produce in the grocery store anyway. It all gets washed before consumption in my house.

I guess you're right. It's just more of a mental thing for me, thinking about how germy and sweaty people's hands are after the gym and how the gym is a hotspot for staph infections.
    I'm a nurse so it's probably just from years of having hand washing and changing clothes before going in public drilled into my head.
  • ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE
    ESPRESSO_OR_ELSE Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I read a lot of these rants. I then realize I annoy people one way or the other.

The thing is, I don’t really care. It’s hard enough to just get to the gym after a full day of work.

Life is hard enough. I’m totally okay with annoying people at the gym.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Errr...don't you wash your fruit before you eat it anyway? I see no problem with this. Touching fruit is perfectly reasonable
  • Liana_Ish
    Liana_Ish Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Just here to see if I do anything that annoys anyone lol
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The one thing that kind of annoys me is when people underestimate me, although it is usually a second of annoyance followed by amusement at their faces when they watch me work out.
    I'm a short, middle aged woman, and while the majority of people in my gym know me and how hard I push, occasionally there'll be someone who's maybe only seen me doing Zumba and never seen me lift, or do other more extreme cardio and not known that I work with a trainer 5x week.
    So I've had someone tell me I was putting too much weight on for squats and even try and take weight off the bar, when in reality I was only warming up and needed to put more on. His face was a picture as I got in to working sets.
    Then the same guy attempted to put clips on the bar as I was benching without a spot, at this point the gym manager decided it was no longer funny (he was laughing at the squat bit) and told him to leave me alone.
    Another guy asked me if I wanted help moving the empty bar, to be fair he had only seen me doing Zumba and didn't realise that I also lift, but it was annoying for like 1 sec.
    Of it also annoys me occasionally that my trainer doesn't underestimate me and knows how hard she can push me, and boy does she push me.
  • TeamNemesisSteve
    TeamNemesisSteve Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Here’s a few:

Singing.. it gets on my nerves. Loud at that.

Girl friend/boyfriend dating at the gym. Kissing and hugging between every set. 🤮😆

People playing grab *kitten* at the gym. (Probably covered under the dating)

Guys who come to the gym and stand around staring at everybody because their spouse made them go to get back in shape lol..

The guy or girl doing 542 sets of the same damn exercise on the same machine!

People who sit at a machine for quite a while checking their social media.

People trying to use 2-3 different machines in rotation on a speed workout. They have been known to yell out “I’m not done with that!”
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Here in Oaxaca, Mexico, where I moved 5 months ago, most of these things don't happen. Everyone is polite to a fault. Working in is just done. All the time. If 2 of you are going for a bench, the other person will insist you use it first. People help each other load and unload weights.

The only thing that is annoying is that people don't rerack their weights much and when they do, it's totally random. Like you'll have 10s in the middle of 25s and 45s all on the same rack post! Muy desordenado!!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of these rants. I then realize I annoy people one way or the other.

The thing is, I don’t really care. It’s hard enough to just get to the gym after a full day of work.

Life is hard enough. I’m totally okay with annoying people at the gym.

"Life is hard enough." Right - so why make it harder by annoying other people? If it is hard enough to just get to the gym, is having to clean someone's sweat off of a machine or rerack their plates because they are too damned lazy making the experience easier?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options

I guess you're right. It's just more of a mental thing for me, thinking about how germy and sweaty people's hands are after the gym and how the gym is a hotspot for staph infections.
    I'm a nurse so it's probably just from years of having hand washing and changing clothes before going in public drilled into my head.

I understand how that annoys you, don't take it back. Lol. It is gross to not wash your hands after going to the gym period, and even more so to go to a grocery store after.
  • kaizaku
    Options
    Here’s a few:

Singing.. it gets on my nerves. Loud at that.

Girl friend/boyfriend dating at the gym. Kissing and hugging between every set. 🤮😆

People playing grab *kitten* at the gym. (Probably covered under the dating)

Guys who come to the gym and stand around staring at everybody because their spouse made them go to get back in shape lol..

The guy or girl doing 542 sets of the same damn exercise on the same machine!

People who sit at a machine for quite a while checking their social media.

People trying to use 2-3 different machines in rotation on a speed workout. They have been known to yell out “I’m not done with that!”

542 sets on one machine? 😁
  • kaizaku
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I don't get why people don't carry a towel to wipe their sweat. Rather leave it to drip.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The ones who annoyed me were the neanderthals who couldn't do their sets without sound like they were trying to move a mountain and huff and puff like some pro fighter. I don't want to hear you hooting and hollering like some caveman over his first kill. I wish the gym I had been at would have had sweat space but their refusal to fix any of the treadmills stopped that. Last time i was there the same 5 of 8 were broken and had been when I joined.
  • HeathieM
    HeathieM Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ugh this one dude who lays sideways on the mat with his phone plugged in to the outlet. He's just lying there on his phone.. and doesn't move when other people come to use the mat! He takes up the space of four people! So rude!