Things people do that annoys you in the gym.

Options

Replies

• WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Have any of you ever used a machine and have someone straight away ask, how many. Sets left? So many experts in the gym come running to tell you how to do the exercise? Stalking people stand in front of you and stare?

So many machines /bench have dripping sweat all over and no one wipes after use. Anyone else had those issues?

I've seen the non-wipers and I openly give them dirty looks so that they know that I know. And then make a big deal about wiping it properly myself prior to using. But honestly....I go to our local YMCA (it's an expensive one) and I see about 90% of people wiping Cardio Machines and about 75% wiping weight machines. I think the weights people forget because you move on to something else fairly fast unlike Cardio machines. I just roll up a huge wad of paper towels, pre-spray them, and carry them from weight area to weight area and get a fresh clump as needed. But I have to say...at our Y people are pretty good overall about that.
  • cuckoo_jenibeth
    cuckoo_jenibeth Posts: 1,434 Member
    Options
    My biggest peeve by FAR is people who talk during Group Fitness Classes. Not only is it incredibly rude and disrespectful to the Instructor....it's rude in ANY group situation like a lecture, a movie, or even children talking in class while the teacher is lecturing/instructing. There's little stuff (not wiping machines) in the regular gym area that bother me a little....but I'm blown away at the small group of people in one of my Les Mills Body Pump Classes who *literally* talk during the entire 60 minutes right over the Instructor. Loudly. We all pay to be there and I cannot imagine disregarding the other 30+ people to chat.

It's not like "comments" here and there that we all do at some point. The weird part is that these same 3 ladies take the class several times per week (just like I do)....but only talk during the class where the Instructor is a younger woman rather than the OTHER 2 ladies that instruct Body Pump who are more late 30's to early 40's (and strict). So it seems like they just really don't care about the other people in the class OR the instructor just because she's young. I didn't notice the latter until last week when the *young* instructor was on vacation and one of our normal instructors took over the class....and they shut their traps and I didn't hear a word the entire class. So I assume it's some sort of "old vs really young" hen-like disrespect. Whatever it is...it takes everything I have not to scream "Could you STFU? We are all paying $70 per month to attend this gym and actually be INSTRUCTED in classes!"

Thank you! I teach 6 water fitness classes per week (and often sub others) and I get so fed up when a select few yak away and then inevitably complain when they miss a reverse or get "clonked" when everyone else swings the new way! I teach 2 classes back-to-back and between the music, the splashing and normal shortness of breath, my voice is getting pretty shot by the end of hour 2; so having to talk above them and having to repeat myself, gets me a bit cranky some times! I have been known to say that I guess I am not working them nearly hard enough if they can carry on full conversation whilst "sprinting"! I say, "I guess y'all must be in far better shape than I am (not so much) because I can barely get 2-3 words out at a time!" I wish others would tell them to STFU instead of just complaining about them in the locker room!

• harmonyashlyn5
    harmonyashlyn5 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When guys get mad because you're on a machine but then they spend 20 min blocking the mirror taking selfies...
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    People who crank the treadmill incline to the max height, and then hold on to the top of the machine for dear life to stay on. I can't concentrate on my own workout, because I want to get ready to catch them if they lose their grip and go flying backwards.

I know, right? And when they crank it up and then hold on, they are kind of defeating much of the purpose. Holding onto the machine instead of relying on your body to keep itself upright takes away a lot of the "work" part of it. The machine is crediting you with calories as if you were doing all the work, but you really aren't. I personally can max it out and walk on my own without gripping the machine just fine. But it takes a lot more effort than it does when you are using the machine as a crutch. But whatever. Not my business. Just seems like a waste, though. You could put it on a more manageable incline and walk independently and get more benefit out of it.

There's a guy at my gym who not only cranks the incline, but also the speed up. Then he "runs", holding on for dear life, for about 20-30 seconds, the whole time his feet slapping the poor machine so hard that I wonder how he hasn't damaged one yet. Then he holds onto the handrails and air runs with the belt the same speed. I happened to be next to him one time when it was busy, and he had a pattern like it's some plan in how he set the speed (going up then going down). After the minute or so he stands on the foot rails and puts the speed down and I think he walks. He's been doing this for a long time, a year or more I believe, and I have no idea what he's trying to accomplish ... :grey_question:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    mathjulz wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    MidModJenn wrote: »
    People who crank the treadmill incline to the max height, and then hold on to the top of the machine for dear life to stay on. I can't concentrate on my own workout, because I want to get ready to catch them if they lose their grip and go flying backwards.

I know, right? And when they crank it up and then hold on, they are kind of defeating much of the purpose. Holding onto the machine instead of relying on your body to keep itself upright takes away a lot of the "work" part of it. The machine is crediting you with calories as if you were doing all the work, but you really aren't. I personally can max it out and walk on my own without gripping the machine just fine. But it takes a lot more effort than it does when you are using the machine as a crutch. But whatever. Not my business. Just seems like a waste, though. You could put it on a more manageable incline and walk independently and get more benefit out of it.

There's a guy at my gym who not only cranks the incline, but also the speed up. Then he "runs", holding on for dear life, for about 20-30 seconds, the whole time his feet slapping the poor machine so hard that I wonder how he hasn't damaged one yet. Then he holds onto the handrails and air runs with the belt the same speed. I happened to be next to him one time when it was busy, and he had a pattern like it's some plan in how he set the speed (going up then going down). After the minute or so he stands on the foot rails and puts the speed down and I think he walks. He's been doing this for a long time, a year or more I believe, and I have no idea what he's trying to accomplish ... :grey_question:

Interesting. That would be so distracting, though. It would be hard to tune him out if he was right next to me.
  • jenilla1
    Options
    ^ EPIC! :D
  • jenilla1
    Options
    OMG, gross!

This nasty dude was using the chest press machine today. He finishes, gets up and walks away without wiping it down. His body looked dry, like he wasn't sweating, so I thought to myself, "well, at least he didn't sweat all over it." But when I glanced back at the machine, where his head had been resting was a big wet spot, with big, oily drips rolling down. It looked like a combination of sweat and some kind of grease. Eew... It was so foul-looking it made me want to throw up a little.

So this chick was coming up to use the machine next and almost sat down on it but I managed to gesture to her in the nick of time. When she saw that nastiness she hollered, "What the hell is THAT?!" We got eye contact again and shared a mutually horrified glance. (I think we may have bonded in that moment.) She sprayed it down and scrubbed it twice, and although the juiciness was gone, an oily stain remained. So she walked away. Gag-worthy. :s

4wh9ah35n3dv.jpg
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    grace173 wrote: »
    Naked women in the changing room. There was a woman in the locker right next to me the other day and she was putting lotion all over her body next to me. I mean there is a time and a place for the lotion people!

Yes. A time and a place. A time...like after a shower. A place...like in a locker room.

Ok. Some people have a problem with me not liking the nakedness or the lotion. There, now you know. Some people don't like the nakedness or the lotion. I said it. Ok. I'm not the only one. There are others. We wear bracelets

Are you one of those people that brings all of your stuff to the shower with you and takes 15 minutes getting dressed, all the way to your shoes and jewelry, in the privacy of the shower while the rest of us are waiting in line?

Because there's my gym annoyance.

I wouldnt mind it in the shower, because we have about 12 of them. But in my gym they do it in the toilet stalls...of which there are 3. So at the 430 rush hour, it's not the best.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Naked women in the changing room. There was a woman in the locker right next to me the other day and she was putting lotion all over her body next to me. I mean there is a time and a place for the lotion people!

Yes. A time and a place. A time...like after a shower. A place...like in a locker room.

Ok. Some people have a problem with me not liking the nakedness or the lotion. There, now you know. Some people don't like the nakedness or the lotion. I said it. Ok. I'm not the only one. There are others. We wear bracelets

Are you one of those people that brings all of your stuff to the shower with you and takes 15 minutes getting dressed, all the way to your shoes and jewelry, in the privacy of the shower while the rest of us are waiting in line?

No. I hate that too. I just don't want women naked around me or talking to me while they are naked. There is nothing wrong with that. My new gym annoyance are women that have a problem with me having a problem with their nakedness :)

HOW did you make it through junior high and high school? We didnt even have shower curtains in our locker rooms.

I'm not annoyed with your or anything. It's something more like pity. Like...oh wow? That must suck...having to feel uncomfortable with very basic societal norms.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

No. I hate that too. I just don't want women naked around me or talking to me while they are naked. There is nothing wrong with that. My new gym annoyance are women that have a problem with me having a problem with their nakedness :)

HOW did you make it through junior high and high school? We didnt even have shower curtains in our locker rooms.

I'm not annoyed with your or anything. It's something more like pity. Like...oh wow? That must suck...having to feel uncomfortable with very basic societal norms.

It's not about societal norms as much as it is a complete stranger captain morganning me or my gym bag.

In HS/JHS/basic training, It's people I know, at least by name if not friends.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts to see someone put a couple of sprays of antiseptic on a paper towel at the start of a gym session, then wad it up,and carry it around from machine to machine and wipe every machine down with it. All they're doing is spreading whatever germs from machine to machine. Use the antiseptic spray properly or don't bother at all.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    People sitting on machines just using their phones or talking to someone. People using one machine but putting their stuff on another. When you go to a totally empty machine and someone comes up and says "I was still using that." Guys who throw their heavy weights after lifting (so loud). The guys who scream and grunt and yell when lifting. People who lift barbells right in front of the rack so I have to wait to get what I need for the bench press. Male people who act like I'm not there and walk right into me or step right in front of me, between me and the mirror and start doing their own work out. The guys with BO so bad that I have to move away from them and go to another area.

These kinds of things are the reason why Planet Fitness has those rules/Lunk alarm. I realize some locations abuse the lunk alarm but.... Frankly I'd much rather live with their rules than deal with screaming pigbeasts day in and day out.

WOW... screaming pigbeasts :huh:
  • FabulousFantasticFifty
    FabulousFantasticFifty Posts: 195,833 Member
    Options
    People who just stand there obviously staring at you while you're trying to figure out how use the weight machines
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    People sitting on machines just using their phones or talking to someone. People using one machine but putting their stuff on another. When you go to a totally empty machine and someone comes up and says "I was still using that." Guys who throw their heavy weights after lifting (so loud). The guys who scream and grunt and yell when lifting. People who lift barbells right in front of the rack so I have to wait to get what I need for the bench press. Male people who act like I'm not there and walk right into me or step right in front of me, between me and the mirror and start doing their own work out. The guys with BO so bad that I have to move away from them and go to another area.

These kinds of things are the reason why Planet Fitness has those rules/Lunk alarm. I realize some locations abuse the lunk alarm but.... Frankly I'd much rather live with their rules than deal with screaming pigbeasts day in and day out.

I have been working out at a Planet Fitness since December and have never witnessed the "lunk alarm" activated. Then again, I usually work out at 5am, which may be outside of the typical lunk's exercise window.

• jenilla1
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »

I have been working out at a Planet Fitness since December and have never witnessed the "lunk alarm" activated. Then again, I usually work out at 5am, which may be outside of the typical lunk's exercise window.

I've been going there for over a year and at all times of the day and night and I swear it isn't even hooked up. It's just there for show at my gym. Nobody gives a crap about lunks. It's just like all the other chain gyms I've gone to, only cheaper and more convenient.