Some people just don't get it

Options

Replies

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    lustymads wrote: »
    My office ALWAYS has treats. My coworkers joke around that new employees gain the "Freshman 15."
    I eat plant-based, and am new to counting calories, and it's INSANE how much flack I catch for it.
    My favorite examples:

While I'm opening a can of low-sodium green beans for my lunch: "What is that you're eating? Dog food?"

"Wow, that's so healthyyyyy! I really admire people who eat like you!" In a very patronizing tone

Multiple jabs at my refusing little snacks (muffins, donuts, chocolates, popcorn) because it's some special occasion

"But you look fine! You don't need to be watching what you eat!" because I'm not as overweight as some others.

Sigh. 50 pounds to go.

Definitely a "misery loves company" situation going on. Ignore them and just keep doing your thing. Eventually they'll leave you alone and move on to someone else. Too bad in a work situation you have to be careful what you say. Otherwise I'm all for putting people in their place when making unasked for comments about what I do or don't do.
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    On Fridays, there are generally pastries brought in to the office and today was no exception. A giant apple fritter looked really good. I got a knife, cut it it in half and then cut one of the halves in half and took 1/4; still a few bites, this thing was big. An overweight coworker rolled his eyes - "You don't need to do that. You're skinny." - then took the rest of the fritter. I opened my mouth to say something but words failed me and I just had to turn and walk away.

<3
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    MsBaz2018 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a weight loss video or success story showing people eating apple fritters, chips, Mac and cheese? Nooo.
    They always show people in exercise clothes chopping fruits or blending veggies. No wonder lots of people don't get it (OK they don't want to get it but still)

Wait... I had an apple fritter the other day.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    When someone says something like that to me, I go into great detail about why I eat the way I do. I tell them all about it until their eyes glaze over and they walk away. It's better for me if they think ending the conversation was their idea rather than them thinking I gave them the brush off as I have this reputation at work of being unfriendly and difficult to approach. Generally, after a few times, people stop saying anything because they've figured out I will blather on and on for as long as they let me and it's just better if they don't even get me started. BTW, it's not that I'm not unfriendly or difficult to approach, it's that small talk is fake, dumb and boring.

lol..love this strategy...it is how I get rid of people all the time... start talking in detail about what they are annoying you with... boom. they go away.

Maybe that's why none of the overweight people at work ask me about weight loss anymore, because I use a similar tactic.
    Or it could be simply that nobody likes talking to auditors, which I am... 🤔😂

I think we auditors are well suited to using logging as a way to manage our fitness goals. Objective evidence, KPIs, records....
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a weight loss video or success story showing people eating apple fritters, chips, Mac and cheese? Nooo.
    They always show people in exercise clothes chopping fruits or blending veggies. No wonder lots of people don't get it (OK they don't want to get it but still)

Wait... I had an apple fritter the other day.

😂 They'll cut out that segment when they make your success story video

Fair enough. . I am an example of what not to do! Lol😘
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Reading this post sipping on my lemon water, taking my thyroid medication and hating you all... Its a thing... But I will give your side a try, I have been logging my food, and riding out on my elliptical like the second coming of something big... LOL Last month during my stabilization month science told me I needed to eat 833 less calories out of my average 1500 calories a day to stop the weight gain. I said quietly to myself "Oh hell no! Hommie don't play that" and cleaned up my gently used (OK never used) elliptical for the deficit! No one is messing with my sugar free roasted almonds snack... I am willing to take up arms to defends them... *flexes*

I don't quite understand this post. Are you seriously trying to claim that your TDEE was 667 before you broke out your elliptical? Because if so, then no, there is no way that is correct. And who is this "science" that told you this?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's why you're skinny, you manage your portions!

• mister_blobby
    mister_blobby Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If he had a quarter of a half of a half that means he had a sixteenth.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    If he had a quarter of a half of a half that means he had a sixteenth.

Poorly worded I guess. Half of a half was a quarter.