Unusual food that you have recorded on your daily food diary?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited December 2018
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    I'm a vegetarian. There's really not much that's exotic that I would be logging since I have no intention of ever trying durian or natto.

I have an acquaintance whose daughter loves natto. Yes he and his family live in the US and yes his wife is Japanese. That said, there are probably plenty of fruits and vegetables you haven't tried in part because they just aren't available where you live.

The strange veggies/fruits just don't seem to create same frisson as chicken feet or prairie oysters, though.

Chicken feet do make for awfully good chicken stock though. I'm sure I would like them if they weren't braised. Or rather, if they were braised and fried, roasted, or sauteed.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Nobody logs food quite like Icelandic folk.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I'm a vegetarian. There's really not much that's exotic that I would be logging since I have no intention of ever trying durian or natto.

I have an acquaintance whose daughter loves natto. Yes he and his family live in the US and yes his wife is Japanese. That said, there are probably plenty of fruits and vegetables you haven't tried in part because they just aren't available where you live.

I wouldn't consider them exotic, though, and would have no issue trying them were they available.
  • golfchess
    golfchess Posts: 63 Member
    @JetJaguar Now I know who was recording human soul. I thought it was just the devil recording his acquisitions for the day.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    golfchess wrote: »
    @JetJaguar Now I know who was recording human soul. I thought it was just the devil recording his acquisitions for the day.

>:)
  • golfchess

Walmart sells them labeled as "Chicken Paws".

No. Just, No.

At least in the US, most authentic Chinese restaurants will have chicken feet as part of the broth.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    I was showing my husband those entries. He suggested that I look up "hamster."
    Yes, I found it. Some brand "King Hall" where, upon Googling, I could only find college campus halls.
    ????
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    Back when I was actively logging, I don't think I ever actually logged anything that someone would consider unusual, but there were entries for "human flesh" and "human soul" that I used as stand-ins for other things. I had edited the human flesh entry to be the same as pork and used it in place of that. Likewise, I edited human soul to match vodka (because they are both spirits ;)) and used it for logging cocktails.

Those entries seem to have been deleted from the database, though.

Are you sure human flesh wasn’t a typo for hummus fresh ? 😂
  • aokoye

The strange veggies/fruits just don't seem to create same frisson as chicken feet or prairie oysters, though.

Chicken feet do make for awfully good chicken stock though. I'm sure I would like them if they weren't braised. Or rather, if they were braised and fried, roasted, or sauteed.

No. Just, No.

That's an "interesting" marketing strategy.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member

No. Just, No.

Yeah, I am not opposed to chicken feet (especially for broths, etc) but chicken's don't have paws!
  • aokoye

No. Just, No.

Yeah, I am not opposed to chicken feet (especially for broths, etc) but chicken's don't have paws!

It's like they're marketing to children who don't have families that eat chicken feet. I'm sure people who eat chicken feet are giving the labels some serious side eye or just laughing (or both). It's also interesting because in countries that are primarily English speaking, animals with paws are typically not eaten and if anything people are disgusted with the idea of doing so.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member

No. Just, No.

It's like they're marketing to children who don't have families that eat chicken feet. I'm sure people who eat chicken feet are giving the labels some serious side eye or just laughing (or both). It's also interesting because in countries that are primarily English speaking, animals with paws are typically not eaten and if anything people are disgusted with the idea of doing so.

Yeah, paws makes me think of cats and dogs, which are highly taboo meat wise in the part of North America I've lived (Canada and US).

That to me is what makes it so weird I think. For a lot of people, paws probably equals pets, so how is associating an already a little odd food item with something most people purchasing would be appalled to consume a good idea?

Just mind blowing really.
  • M0n1KCR
    M0n1KCR Posts: 148 Member
    M0n1KCR wrote: »
    @M0n1KCR Your supermarket has a much more wide variety than mine.

Every supermarket here carries these kinds of meat... they are not unusual at all for us.

I guess it depends on location. Those meats are only available in specialty stores or hunt it yourself where I'm at, and hunting is not allowed (metro area)

It totally depends on location. I'm in Spain, our supermarkets carry some things you can hardly find in American ones, but we can't find anywhere some things which are fairly common in the States...

As a side note, real paella has got rabbit in it. If they try to give you a dish without rabbit-and chicken-, this is not paella. (It makes me sad what kind of things people call paella... they are delicious, sure, but they are not paella).
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    07wegif6tu0d.png

One of the perils of being a cyclist.

Ack! The protein to calorie ratio is horrible.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    07wegif6tu0d.png

Omg yesssss :D
  • golfchess
    07wegif6tu0d.png

@sijomial Hmm, how many make up a partial swarm?
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,729 Member
    07wegif6tu0d.png

@sijomial Hmm, how many make up a partial swarm?

Depends. Is it an African gnat fruit fly or a European gnat fruit fly?