FREE Customized Personal Weight Loss Eating Plan! (Not Spam or MLM)

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nory_1 wrote: »
    Qué del ayuno intermitente??? qué opinión merece?? Saludos :)

I wouldn't do it, because it wouldn't suit me. If you prefer bigger meals, and can limit your eating window happily, it's fine. You still need a mostly consistent calorie deficit. If intermittent fasting helps you achieve that, good. It has no magic.

Google translate says this is:

Yo no lo haría, porque no me vendría bien. Si prefiere comidas más grandes, y puede limitar su ventana de comer felizmente, está bien. Todavía necesitas un déficit calórico en su mayoría consistente. Si el ayuno intermitente te ayuda a lograrlo, bien. No tiene magia.

Google Translate dice que esto es:

(Mi Espanol es muy malo. Lo siento mucho.)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Nory_1 wrote: »
    Qué del ayuno intermitente??? qué opinión merece?? Saludos :)

MyFitnessPal tiene foros en Espanol: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/es
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    I keep seeing 0.8g protein per pound thrown about on this forum but can't seem to find out where this recommendation actually comes from. The closest I've found is the dietary guidelines of many countries but they are 0.8g per kilogram (not pounds). Can anyone provide a source (or better still, sources) for the g/lb recommendation?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kpsyche wrote: »
    I keep seeing 0.8g protein per pound thrown about on this forum but can't seem to find out where this recommendation actually comes from. The closest I've found is the dietary guidelines of many countries but they are 0.8g per kilogram (not pounds). Can anyone provide a source (or better still, sources) for the g/lb recommendation?

It's a rule of thumb for what would be reasonable intake.

Here is a more detailed look:
    https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

A bit higher than I would personally be able to sustain.
  • kpsyche
    kpsyche Posts: 345 Member
    edited June 2018

It's a rule of thumb for what would be reasonable intake.

Here is a more detailed look:
    https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/

A bit higher than I would personally be able to sustain.

Ok, that's better than other sites I've found in that your reference at least addresses normal, hypo- and hypercaloric energy intakes. It still seems a bit less than 0.8g/lb... the recommendation on that site for optimal protein intake is 0.54–0.82 g/lb, 0.64–1.50 g/lb for gain (hypercaloric diet), and 1.00-1.50 g/lb when losing (hypocaloric) weight.

Thankfully the site you linked has references -- exactly what I've been struggling to find. Thanks
  • AnnPT77

I can't give you a cite from memory (lost the bookmarks on my previous computer), but I can tell you my general rationale** (I'm the OP):

The RDAs from many countries are intended for average people with average lives, as a minimum to hit.

In the MFP community, many people are trying to lose weight (and those people are the explicit audience for this post). There's decent evidence that eating extra protein helps preserve muscle during weight loss. Further, many people in the MFP are active as a part of their weight loss effort, and/or to improve fitness. There's decent evidence that people who are active preserve and/or build muscle more effectively when consuming more than the RDA (this applies to strength training for sure, but to other exercise activity as well). There are a couple of other cases where there's decent evidence that protein above the RDA may be useful, minority cases, but still somewhat common: Aging people, and people who get significant amounts of protein from plant sources (incomplete in essential amino acids).

There's no decent evidence I've seen that extra protein is injurious to an otherwise healthy person, i.e., in the context of an overall balanced diet. The only down-side of extra protein I can think of is that it may be more expensive, and one's specific choices can moderate that cost to some extent.

Therefore, on balance, recommending (and for myself, consuming) extra protein above the RDA seems like a conservative idea . . . a bit of insurance, if you will. It looks like it's probably a good thing, and there's not much down side.

** Note that my OP says "just my opinion" about the specific macro targets. Perhaps I should've been more explicit that others can use the same basic process, but with macro targets of their choice. OTOH, I see what I consider way too many diaries here, in practice, where people (especially women) are lowballing protein, even with respect to the US RDA. I don't see too many people eating crazy high amounts of protein, i.e., so much that it drives out other needed nutrition. The rare cases I do are mostly folks who've taken "1g per pound" from some bodybuilding or fitness site (that probably assumes the reader is already lean) but applied that to an obese bodyweight, leaving them in a position where they can't get enough fats and veggies/fruits on their reduced calories to be eating in a well-rounded way. I routinely jump in those threads to suggest they needn't do that. :)

P.S. The examine.com link posted above covers this with more scientific support specified. (Their 1.5g/kg (= 6.8g/lb.) is pretty darned close to the 0.6-0.8 range I suggested.) As the OP, I felt obligated to give you some idea what I was thinking when I wrote what I wrote. :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    d4nvpb9vdel4.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    Just a friendly bump in preparation of the January madness :flowerforyou:

Good plan.
  • AnnPT77
    Shameless selfie-bump!

@ladyreva78 , did you get a PM from me about art journaling? MFP says it hasn't been read, and I've had it fail to send things in the past even when it says it did. (This seems like as good a place as any to ask ;) ). :flowerforyou:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Shameless selfie-bump!

@ladyreva78 , did you get a PM from me about art journaling? MFP says it hasn't been read, and I've had it fail to send things in the past even when it says it did. (This seems like as good a place as any to ask ;) ). :flowerforyou:

@AnnPT77 sadly no PM. I'll send you a friend request to see if that might help!
  • AnnPT77
    RE-bump.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    3 hours is too long to go without a bump on the 2nd of January :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Had to go look for this on the second page... that most certainly won't do :tongue: