Keto Diet

Options
sarahelizabeth731
sarahelizabeth731 Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Thinking about trying the Keto Diet in the new year! Seen some amazing results online and irl from friends of friends. I’ve tried calorie restricting and just eating clean but I seem to always feel hungry. Thoughts?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Fat can be satiating. Try it.
  • __Chanda__
    __Chanda__ Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thinking about trying the Keto Diet in the new year! Seen some amazing results online and irl from friends of friends. I’ve tried calorie restricting and just eating clean but I seem to always feel hungry. Thoughts?

I enjoy Keto because I don't have to feel hungry. The initial phase can be hard with the cravings, but they do eventually go away.
  • claimsboss47
    claimsboss47 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been keto since March. I use it to manage my insulin response, because diabetes is rampant in my family, and I'm trying to avoid it for as long as possible. The great side effect of this is that I've lost nearly 50 pounds, and I'm practically never hungry.
  • davisagolding
    davisagolding Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am also looking at starting to eat the keto way. A girl friend and I are starting Tuesday the 1st of the year.
  • ashley13ar4561
    ashley13ar4561 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend it if it’s something your willing to be really committed to as a life change . I started keto 5 months ago and I’ve lost 79 pounds and my energy level has sky rocketed the beginning is hard but your cravings decrease and if you live to cook there is so many alternatives to your favorite foods that eventually this lifestyle becomes more realistic.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to eat fruit on the keto diet
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

You can eat anything so long as you make your net carbs work out to less than 10% of your intake. I ate berries all summer and now make room for a clementine or two each day, and also enjoy small quantities of pineapple, apple, and watermelon from time to time. I eat them with something fatty and weigh everything to make sure it’s balancing out, and I stay in ketosis with no trouble.
  • claimsboss47
    Options

You can have fruit, but eating fruit does max out your carb allotment really quickly. I treat my carbs like money. I have 20 per day to spend, so if I'm going to splurge it has to be something really worth it. My favorite fruit is blackberries, which are a great choice for the keto lifestyle because 1) they're a low glycemic index fruit, which combats insulin spikes, and 2) they're a bit expensive, which makes it easy to limit my intake. 😂
  • claimsboss47
    Options
    I'll also say this. If you're going to live the keto lifestyle, (and it is a FOREVER lifestyle,) absolutely invest in a good food scale. Weighing your food is the most accurate way to track your macros, because carbs are sneaky. Tracking by weight (grams) allows you to add up those "partial carbs" to help eliminate surprise carb overages.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

You can eat anything so long as you make your net carbs work out to less than 10% of your intake. I ate berries all summer and now make room for a clementine or two each day, and also enjoy small quantities of pineapple, apple, and watermelon from time to time. I eat them with something fatty and weigh everything to make sure it’s balancing out, and I stay in ketosis with no trouble.

10% carbs in total? so I guess bananas are a no. sounds really hard.
    I always thought a diet should be able to incorporate as much fruit as you like as long as you stick to your calorie intake for the day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

When I tried keto I had a much higher carb limit than most (60 total, 35 net), and would consistently max it out with just veg and nuts. IMO, if you are someone who likes veg, or even just cares about the recommendations about how much to eat, it's going to be tough to fit in fruit.

Strawberries and raspberries have fewer carbs than many other fruits, though.

I ditched keto largely because it was getting to be summer and I wanted to eat all the fresh, in season fruits available.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I always thought a diet should be able to incorporate as much fruit as you like as long as you stick to your calorie intake for the day.

Not eating bananas would be no problem for me, because I don't like bananas. So in that aspect, it doesn't sound hard to me.

As people said above, you can incorporate fruit on a keto diet. You may enjoy eating fruit, but there are a lot of people who are not really into fruit, so it might work out just fine for them. It sounds like keto isn't the diet for you, but that doesn't mean it is not a good fit for someone else.

For those interested in keto, these groups might be helpful to you in finding out more about the diet and connect with people who have been following it long term:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • FlyingMolly
    Options

10% net, so not counting fiber grams as carbs. It’s true I don’t remember the last time I ate a banana!

I do make an effort to make sure I’m getting a variety of produce in my diet, though. My blood work is good and I don’t feel deprived, but if I ever felt desperate for a banana I’d just eat one. Eggs scrambled in butter on the side and a brisk walk would probably keep me in ketosis anyway, but if that didn’t work I’d be back in by the next day.

It’s one of the things I like best about keto: you can have anything you want; you just have to figure out how to “pay” for it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Ketogenic diets are typically under 25-50g of net or total carbs. The level of carbs one can eat and stay in ketosis varies widely between people. I remember one healthy and active member who stayed in ketosis eating upwards of 200g of carbs on some days but those days saw him riding his bike for 4-6+ hours through hilly terrain. Someone else who is insulin resistant and inactive may need to keep total carbs under 25g in order to stay ketogenic.

Macros are typically 5-15% depending on your calorie intake. 50g (200kcal) of carbs on a 1200 kcal diet will give quite a different macro percentage than 25 g (100kcal) in a 2000kcal diet. KWIM?

As to fruit, some choose to eat some and others don't. It's not a magical food so you can skip it entirely if you wish. Conversely, if you love bananas, depending on your macros, you could possibly have a couple a day.

All weight loss diets involve restrictions. Moderation and calorie counters may restrict a bit of everything. Keto'ers may just need to restrict some carbs (especially refined and highly processed carbs).

Some people use Keto for weight loss and then quit. If that's the case you could probably benefit from an exit strategy like Atkins offers. Like any diet, once you stop doing it, you lose the possible benefits.

Some people choose to keep doing it due to the health and energy benefits, or the reduced appetite and cravings, or they just enjoy the food. I've been mostly ketogenic for going on 4 years. It works really well for me.

If you do cut carbs make sure you increase your sodium to at least 3000-5000mg a day (1tsp salt =2300mg sodium). When you cut carbs you will be low in glycogen for a while and your insulin drops. Insulin controls water and electrolyte retention, and glycogen is high in it too. You'll need to replace what you lost or you'll experience the low electrolyte (Keto)flu which can include headaches, fatigue, brain fog, stomach issues, muscle weakness and spasms.

The group's mentioned above are really helpful for more info too. Good luck.
  • FlyingMolly
    edited December 2018
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »

It’s one of the things I like best about keto: you can have anything you want; you just have to figure out how to “pay” for it.

That's actually what most people prefer about straight-up calorie counting.

I always thought the same, but it turned out I needed more structure than that in order to stay on track. Keto gives me structure without taking away any foods; I just have to really think about how much I want to eat them and how much I want to eat OF them. For people who can achieve that same mindset just by counting, keto probably doesn’t have much appeal. For people like me, who couldn’t, it’s fantastic.

I'm a big believer in doing what works for you, and I believe keto is a good choice for some people. But I think most would acknowledge that keto is one of the most restrictive of the diets out there and has much less leeway for "eating whatever you want". But it sounds like it is a great fit for you :)

I think that “eating whatever you want” is a slippery slope for many of us, and not necessarily a goal. For those with a history of binge-eating or poor impulse control with food, wanting is a mine field.

It is true that quantities of many foods are quite restricted on keto, but it’s also true that nothing is “forbidden” on keto. To me that makes it less restrictive than a lot of diets (at least once you’ve gotten the hang of it!), and highly compatible with calorie-counting. It reminds me to be selective about indulging, without actually taking anything off the table or forcing me to eat anything I don’t enjoy.

I just have to eat enough fat to outweigh my carbs, plus enough protein in general, and that’s it.