Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

We're not responsible for being obese?

Replies

• Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2018
    Aside from some medical issue (glands, meds, etc.) I think everyone is responsible for the actions they take that lead them to being overweight. The food industry isn't going to make things easy, especially since they've perfected the process of making engineered food hit a persons "bliss point" and those foods are huge profit for them. I know I am overweight because I dove right into every junk food imaginable for years knowing full well what the impact it could do to my body. In reality the food had little to do with it, I was in a sense self medicating for issues in my life at the time. I had to deal with those issues rather than drown myself in a big bowl of comfort food (which can be just as addictive as any other vice). In my opinion it's worth taking a step back and looking at the food industry and your relationship with food and then taking responsibility for your actions which will illicit change in your life.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes we are responsible for our own weights. Obese people are responsible for that, not anyone else. Although I do think there are certain things that our society or culture in general do to make it easier for people to become fat (huge serving sizes, convenience of fast food, free refills, desk jobs, living in suburban areas where you must drive everywhere etc), but that doesn't mean that it's not that persons responsibility.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Sometimes, I think the root cause of nearly all problems is a READING problem. Or perhaps a Comprehension problem.

How many can say they actively seek out multiple sources of information on a single subject, and read all of it, and think about what they read, drilled into understanding the differences in what was written, and gave some serious objective consideration about how what they read applied to their own situation?

Look at all the posts asking about others' successes with this, that, or the other quick loss diet plan, as just one example in support of my thesis.
  • Xerogs wrote: »
    Aside from some medical issue (glands, meds, etc.) I think everyone is responsible for the actions they take that lead them to being overweight. The food industry isn't going to make things easy, especially since they've perfected the process of making engineered food hit a persons "bliss point" and those foods are huge profit for them. I know I am overweight because I dove right into every junk food imaginable for years knowing full well what the impact it could do to my body. In reality the food had little to do with it, I was in a sense self medicating for issues in my life at the time. I had to deal with those issues rather than drown myself in a big bowl of comfort food (which can be just as addictive as any other vice). In my opinion it's worth taking a step back and looking at the food industry and your relationship with food and then taking responsibility for your actions which will illicit change in your life.

I don't even know how much you can blame meds.

For instance, I am on some MH meds - search the internet, there are a lot of people who say the meds make them gain weight, they can't lose weight etc.

The truth is - the meds can ravage your appetite and make you almost insatiable. They did this to me - yet when I truly decided to get it under control, careful meal timing pretty much solved that problem and I've cut over 50lbs pretty easy.

Maybe that's not always the case, but imo "meds" can be thrown out as an excuse just like any other.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    They began to make the argument that virtually all of these pills, 'We now know--science now knows--that, you know, 5000 years of experience with the opium poppy be damned, we now know that these pills are virtually non-addictive when used to treat pain.'

Now, this is pain that is probably going to last you, oh, no more than 3-5 days. If it lasts more than 5 days there's something else wrong. But, they would prescribe 30 days' worth of Vicodin or Oxycontin--these are common--Vicodin is another common opiate painkiller.

Not to be all conspiracy, but this really doesn't sound like it happened by accident.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    They began to make the argument that virtually all of these pills, 'We now know--science now knows--that, you know, 5000 years of experience with the opium poppy be damned, we now know that these pills are virtually non-addictive when used to treat pain.'

Now, this is pain that is probably going to last you, oh, no more than 3-5 days. If it lasts more than 5 days there's something else wrong. But, they would prescribe 30 days' worth of Vicodin or Oxycontin--these are common--Vicodin is another common opiate painkiller.

Not to be all conspiracy, but this really doesn't sound like it happened by accident.

Truly, at the time, I think convenience was enough of a reason. I don't think you need conspiracy. (Occam's razor applies.)

We were then in a time when opiates - IMO - were truly over-restricted, even for people who were never going to recover from their pain (think end-stage cancer). We should give people in very extreme circumstances all the opiates they need . . . even to the point of suppressing all respiration, sometimes.

But, from that point of true over-restriction, the pendulum swung too far back in the other direction (that's what pendulums do) - doctors prescribed more opiates for people in temporary extreme pain, because of that perception that people in extreme pain couldn't become addicted. Overall, we made mistakes.

Now we know better . . . but we may go back too far in the other direction again, and deprive people of needful drugs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't think I wrote that.

There's a good book on the topic: Dreamland, by Sam Quinones. Drug Dealer MD looks really good too, although I haven't read it yet.

I don't think "doctors/drug companies intended people to get addicted" is the explanation, however.

For the record, I've been prescribed vicodin, and I took it less than the prescribed time (which was only 1 week, doctors were careful, and this was about 2002 -- post the Brett Favre addiction which seemed to put it being addictive into public awareness around here and way past Rush Limbaugh's oxy issue) and kept the extra for a while and then much later tossed it. And this was during a period where I was (first) an active drunk and then (well before I tossed it) a newly sober person, and it never crossed my mind to try finishing/getting more of the vicodin, so I'd say it's clear not everyone gets hooked, I think it's more complicated. Thus that doctors were wrong about it doesn't mean they were villainous.
  • laurenq1991
    laurenq1991 Posts: 384 Member
    edited December 2018
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Truly, at the time, I think convenience was enough of a reason. I don't think you need conspiracy. (Occam's razor applies.)

We were then in a time when opiates - IMO - were truly over-restricted, even for people who were never going to recover from their pain (think end-stage cancer). We should give people in very extreme circumstances all the opiates they need . . . even to the point of suppressing all respiration, sometimes.

But, from that point of true over-restriction, the pendulum swung too far back in the other direction (that's what pendulums do) - doctors prescribed more opiates for people in temporary extreme pain, because of that perception that people in extreme pain couldn't become addicted. Overall, we made mistakes.

Now we know better . . . but we may go back too far in the other direction again, and deprive people of needful drugs.

But 30 days of supply for something that will only cause 3-5 days of pain? How is convenience an explanation for that? In what situation would any competent dentist think that a routine wisdom tooth removal with no complications requiring a followup, will cause an entire month of severe pain? BTW we already know the drug companies lied about the effectiveness and habit-forming properties of OxyContin. The LA Times did an article on it a few years ago. https://www.latimes.com/projects/oxycontin-part1/ It's not that much of a stretch to say people did other sketchy things to increase revenue. "Pill mills" aka doctors' offices that were more like legal drug dealers are also well documented. EDIT: Apparently what I'm getting at, which is that some doctors tried to get their patients addicted on purpose, actually has been documented to happen: https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/06/08/queens-doctor-accused-of-turning-practice-into-pill-mill
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

There's a good book on the topic: Dreamland, by Sam Quinones. Drug Dealer MD looks really good too, although I haven't read it yet.

I don't think "doctors/drug companies intended people to get addicted" is the explanation, however.

For the record, I've been prescribed vicodin, and I took it less than the prescribed time (which was only 1 week, doctors were careful, and this was about 2002 -- post the Brett Favre addiction which seemed to put it being addictive into public awareness around here and way past Rush Limbaugh's oxy issue) and kept the extra for a while and then much later tossed it. And this was during a period where I was (first) an active drunk and then (well before I tossed it) a newly sober person, and it never crossed my mind to try finishing/getting more of the vicodin, so I'd say it's clear not everyone gets hooked, I think it's more complicated. Thus that doctors were wrong about it doesn't mean they were villainous.

It was in the passage you posted from the Sam Quinones interview on page 2 of this thread. I excerpted the relevant quotes for ease of reading.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    edited December 2018

But 30 days of supply for something that will only cause 3-5 days of pain? How is convenience an explanation for that? In what situation would any competent dentist think that a routine wisdom tooth removal with no complications requiring a followup, will cause an entire month of severe pain? BTW we already know the drug companies lied about the effectiveness and habit-forming properties of OxyContin. The LA Times did an article on it a few years ago. https://www.latimes.com/projects/oxycontin-part1/ It's not that much of a stretch to say people did other sketchy things to increase revenue.

It was in the passage you posted from the Sam Quinones interview on page 2 of this thread. I excerpted the relevant quotes for ease of reading.

There was a perception, as I said, coming out of previous over-restriction, that people who were truly in pain would not become addicted. There was even research supporting that idea, at the time. With that notion, the regular routines for prescribing drugs were followed (you get a 30 day script for a lot of things, right?), rather than extra-cautious ones.

Give people enough drugs to get through a variable period of pain (without running back every few days to get more), and (it was thought) when the pain is gone, they'll stop taking it. As the overwhelming majority of us did (as lemur's personal anecdote illustrates; and I went through similar ones more than once myself . . . and I can't even begin to tell you how enjoyable I find some opiates: Codeine is like a cup of hot cocoa, warm flannel jammies, and a sweet fuzzy teddy bear for my brain . . . yet I took codeine-containing drugs multiple times, and didn't become addicted.) I'm not calling those who do become addicted weak, or criticising them in any way. Like lemur said, it's more complicated.

The current situation grew out of very different times, in a a surprisingly organic way . . . or that's my perception, as someone who was adult and paying attention for the whole thing. We'd come out of an environment where opiates were available way too little, there was research suggesting that certain earlier fears were overblown, a pretty widespread societal perception that people with chronic pain were suffering too much, for kind of stupid reasons . . . and things went too far in the other direction.

Did the drug companies hide behind outdated perceptions and supplanted research results for way too long? That sounds like regular humans with vested interests to me: Clinging to biases that are advantageous, long after a good many neutral parties see the writing on the wall. Thinking of them as demons, completely different from (way more venial and heartless than) you and me, is a cognitive bias, too, if you ask me. (It's way more scary to think that they're mostly regular people we'd like, and maybe find basically decent (but deluded), I think. Conspiracy theory is facile. Does that mean I think they shouldn't be subject to legal action? Nope. Do I think none were cynical manipulators? Nope.)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018

But 30 days of supply for something that will only cause 3-5 days of pain? How is convenience an explanation for that? In what situation would any competent dentist think that a routine wisdom tooth removal with no complications requiring a followup, will cause an entire month of severe pain? BTW we already know the drug companies lied about the effectiveness and habit-forming properties of OxyContin. The LA Times did an article on it a few years ago. https://www.latimes.com/projects/oxycontin-part1/ It's not that much of a stretch to say people did other sketchy things to increase revenue. "Pill mills" aka doctors' offices that were more like legal drug dealers are also well documented. EDIT: Apparently what I'm getting at, which is that some doctors tried to get their patients addicted on purpose, actually has been documented to happen: https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/06/08/queens-doctor-accused-of-turning-practice-into-pill-mill

Oh, thanks. This reaches too far back into the past for my memory.

One thing you have to recall is that people's understanding of all this has changed a lot in recent years too. As Ann said, there was a prior concern that it had been cruel to not give relief to people in chronic pain, and that addictiveness was not the problem we now know it is.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited December 2018

The root cause is a need vs want issue.

Patients need to address the root cause of their pain and quite often this is behavioral e.g. managing weight. The medical community realized for years that the likelihood of successful behavioral modification is depressingly low and made the decision to address the symptoms and opt for pain management over root cause. Long term this is a disaster and we've only begun to feel the damage of this unsustainable strategy. But we gave the people what they wanted, not what they needed.

The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction and we've been treating addiction as a criminal offense.

Here is a link to one of the most profound statements on our misconception of addiction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PY9DcIMGxMs

I believe this can be applied to nearly everything and particularly applicable to those with an unhealthy relationship with food. This isn't my field of expertise and cannot speak to the psychological element, but the biochemical evidence is overwhelming that Dr. Hari's hypothesis is absolutely correct.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    There’s growing evidence that our propensity to overeat (or not) may be at least in part genetic. Prof Giles Yeo has a book out on the subject.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Johnd2000 wrote: »
    There’s growing evidence that our propensity to overeat (or not) may be at least in part genetic. Prof Giles Yeo has a book out on the subject.

Thankfully we have discovered that possibility epigenetics can save us from our genes.

That's not how epigenetics works. At all.

OK then how does it work?
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Zodikosis wrote: »
    Your brain saves you the energy of having to make a million decisions every day by automating... Will power is a muscle, and a relatively small one at that. It gets tired. Don't put yourself in situations where you'll probably make a bad choice and hope will power gets you out of it.

I agree. I feel that decision making muscle weaken as the day or week wears on—if I leave a jar of candy on my counter I have to see it and consciously make the decision to pass it by every time I walk by. I’m a SAHM, so that’s about a bajillion times a day. By the end of a long day, what are the odds it doesn’t get opened? If the candy is up on the cabinet of rarely used pots, I don’t have to wear out my willpower. I think many people live in the first situation, either out of their own choice or bc of their environment (they work next to a donut shop, the guy in the next office has a candy dish outside the door, their work caters lunch a few times a week, etc). You watch a lot of tv, you’re always getting the message to treat yourself, you deserve it! Eventually you say, you know I did have a rough day. I deserve a little treat!

Not to say you’re powerless, but you and those around you shaping your environment can make it easier or harder.