What was your “reason” for gaining the weight?

1234568»

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited December 2018
    It’s bazaar, but I either can’t eat or can’t stop eating, both stemming from abandonment issues. Apparently 2 years ago was the trigger to be constantly hungry. Not sure why opposite reactions due to the same fear, but at least I know the trigger either way. I am finally on the level now.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    got married, stopped caring, loved sitting on my couch too much.
  • Tausi
    Tausi Posts: 35 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Didn't have an underlying "reason." I was a competitive athlete .....

TL/DR...I was always very active, and then I wasn't.

Same here🙋‍♀️ Change of lifestyle without change of diet!
  • abi111
    abi111 Posts: 50 Member
    PMDD and binged to cope. i was 210 pounds at my highest. Lost weight after my PMDD was treated, now at 140 pounds.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited December 2018
    My reasons:
    1. ignorance about what I needed to do to maintain my weight
    2. stress from work
    3. menopause

I was normal weight for about 35 years of my life. I gained about 25-30 lbs. when I switched careers, moved and changed my eating plan. ( was a vegetarian/vegan for about 10 years, then went back to eating meat). I no longer ran 4 miles daily. But that was controllable. What got me out of control (and gain of another 60-80 lbs. in 5 years ) was PERI-MENOPAUSE and a TOXIC work situation. I was fatigued, stressed out, didn't know how much to eat, no time to work-out.
  • xcc670
    xcc670 Posts: 98 Member
    I gained with my first two pregnancies; I gained when I quit smoking; I gained while grieving a loved ones death; I gained during harassment at work. All that is behind me now and I am ready to get control over my life.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I already posted at length above but the one time in my life when I gained a major amount very quickly was when I started my first "career" job. It was very stressful and not a good fit with my personality, and 100% sedentary. It was not my first office position but it was the first time I had a closed door back office without running around all over the building throughout each day. I also worked with women who regularly inspected each others' food and talked about weight and diets in the breakroom. This caused me to severely undereat during the day and binge on my way home (McDonald's AND Starbucks, sometimes). I had been in the neighborhood of 240-260 lb for most of my 20s and suddenly found myself at 307 lb within six months at that job.
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    I started gaining weight almost immediately after high school and when I got married (a year later at 19). I was never overweight until I turned 20 or 21, then the weight came on FAST. I have no idea why so fast, because I didn't really eat healthy before then. I think it was just that I wasn't as active after I graduated, and I developed binge eating and compulsive overeating. The next 15 years was basically just me feeding all my emotions and feelings.

I lost weight a couple times over the last decade, but put it back on just as quickly. I think consistency combined with over-restriction/binge yo-yo'ing are my biggest challenges as far as long-term results are concerned.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Depression and a new job where I am a lot less active (used to work retail and now work an office job).

When my depression rears its ugly head, I just don't care. I don't have the energy to care. Cooking isn't fun anymore. So I order in a lot or pick up fast food. I am also less active because I simply do not have the energy or urge to get up and do anything. I barely survive getting to work and taking care of my cats. Taking care of myself is the last thing on my mind.

Luckily, I am now on meds that seem to be helping and am seeing a therapist. So fingers crossed that I will be able to get back on the wagon.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 450 Member
    I was always into exercise but I had this weird all or nothing mentality...I would start the day thinking okay this is it, today I am going to exercise for an hour and eat perfectly..then if something happened that would change plans I would use that as an excuse to blow it for the rest of the day.

If an event was happeningin the near future, i.e. Xmas, family function, etc. I would say okay just blow it until after the event then start again.

This type of mentality is what caused weight gain for me. 2-1/2 years ago I was at my heaviest, I am 5'4" and weighed 195 lbs, I am down just about 40 lbs. I had to get my brain out of that all or nothing way of thinking.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Being a glutton and practicing my denial skills.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    Bumping a few threads that seem like they might be beneficial for New Year's resolutioners
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Getting older, getting injured and not being able to see the doctor for years, eating and drinking too much for my size (I'm small and can't eat much), depression, and losing the willpower and determination I used to be able to summon relatively easily.

On weight charts, I'm still well within the normal range, but I'm at my highest weight ever for me and am completely disgusted. I hope to do something about it.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2019
    Thinking I had all the answers and that my way was the right way to lose or maintain when the weight slowly creeped up.

I've learned since then that one thing may work now but I might have to adjust later so I need to be flexible and open minded about what works for others because when my "tips" stop working I may need to try their tips.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,120 Member
    I ate too much. Period. My mom didn't have a concept of what a proper serving size was, so when we would eat something like spaghetti, she would give us an entire plate covered with it. Not just a small amount with a few healthy sides.

That, and I just like food.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    1) Stressful job
    2) Dealing with that stress inappropriately (Drinking)
    3) My passionate relationship with pizza
  • Adam__20000
    Adam__20000 Posts: 65 Member
    Depression