Stubborn fat

Options
phong_ngo
phong_ngo Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
I need help with my goal, I’m looking to lose some of the fat around my love handles, belly etc.

I’m trying to get a six pack and I’m currently maintaining at 1550 calories per day. I train 6 times a week with the ab app from athleanx and push, pull and leg day - twice a week. I’m currently at 149.2lbs and 14.4% body fat (supposedly).

While training throughout the week, I try to maintain 100g of protein

Any other suggestions?

P.S I rarely do any cardio tbh, it’s normally once or twice a week.

Replies

• phong_ngo
    Options
    I’m 5’7 so I’m using the MFP app to get how much calorie intake on a daily basis, to lose a pound of fat each week. I know 14.4% is on the average end but I think im more leaning towards around 18%. I know you can’t lose fat for a specific area but I still feel like I need to lose the fat so I can be lean.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce and you need a calorie deficit to lose fat.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    You don’t have a lot of fat to lose. Change your goal to 0.5lbs a week, and eat back your exercise cals. (Strength training is found in the ‘cardio’ tab)

For most men there can still be quite a bit of body fat at the 18-14% range. So keep lifting, and eat at a small deficit to lose those last few stubborn lbs.
    Some men have to get to an incredibly low bf% for abs to show. Decide if that is for you.

Genetics does dictate where you carry excess fat, but a calorie deficit is the only way to lose it.

Cheers, h.
  • phong_ngo
    Options
    Thanks for that tip, that’s what I was looking for. When I sit down, a lot of fat just compressed against each other and I can grab it which I hate most. I’ll try to ease on the caloric deficit a bit and I’ll see how that will turn out! 👍
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    phong_ngo wrote: »
    I’m 5’7 so I’m using the MFP app to get how much calorie intake on a daily basis, to lose a pound of fat each week. I know 14.4% is on the average end but I think im more leaning towards around 18%. I know you can’t lose fat for a specific area but I still feel like I need to lose the fat so I can be lean.

Keep in mind that if you continue to lose and still don’t see them, they may just not be that defined. You’d be surprised how many people lose weight and are disappointed that abs don’t just appear. They’re a group of muscles and like any other need some form of resistance to grow and be visible. Like middlehaitch said, some people need to have an extremely low body fat percentage, which may or may not be sustainable. As far as the skin you’re seeing and grabbing, just about everyone has it... if you sit, bend over or contort your body into any position other than upright, most people will see creases and folds. Getting rid of all of them or getting to a point where you’re unable to grab skin is extremely unlikely.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    If I were at your weight and body fat % (I'm pretty close on both, actually), and if I were following a strength training program (I'm not), I would eat more than 100g of protein daily (and I do).

In addition to getting more protein and continuing your strength training program, eating at a small daily calorie deficit will help reduce body fat and expose those abs. Unfortunately, some of us just happen to hold most of our fat in a particular area of our body (mostly as a result of the ratio of alpha-2:beta-2 receptors in those particular fat cells), it is possible to make some improvements overall. Assuming your measurement of 14.4% is accurate, you can lose some and be healthy. For example, if you wish to be at 10% body fat (which is safe for most men), that is only about 7.3 lbs. of fat loss. Lose slowly, don't skimp on protein, and you can reach that level soon enough. Trying to lose too fast and/or not getting enough protein increases the risk of losing too much lean tissue. Have patience and be methodical to reach the results you desire.
  • phong_ngo
    Options
    Yh I know but I’m talking about to the point where I’m grabbing it with my whole hand like it’s playdoh, there’s just too much fat there.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    How much weight have you lost and over what period of time.

Skin retraction after weight loss is genetic, but can also be influenced by how much weight was lost, how long one was overweight, and poor nutrition.

Not having a visual, or any background info on you, it is hard to say whether it is just natural skin folds, skin and fat from weight loss, or just residual skin.

It can take 2+ Years for full skin retraction (as far as genetics allow) after weight loss.

Cheers, h.
  • phong_ngo
    Options
    I used to be overweight so around 75kg and I dropped to 67.5kg in 6 months. My nutrition has mostly been on point where I treat myself once a month to something nice but other than that, I cook my own meals and try to fit the macros that is needed from MFP
  • phong_ngo
    edited January 2019
    Options
    luv32iewwccd.jpeg
    mvf7h00umpn4.jpeg
    p9nyt5sbnpuh.jpeg

Apologies for the bad pictures but yes, this is what I’ve lost throughout the months. The recent photo was back in October however now, my hip and waist has shrunk by a little bit.
  • phong_ngo
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Yh I understand where you’re coming from and it’s the consistency throughout my lifting that I enjoy the most so it’s not really an issue for me regardless of the duration of the ‘desired’ body.

I made my own program through extensive research where I split it throughout the week into push pull and leg day twice a week involving multiple compound exercises. Yes, I do progressive overload and I don’t ego lift because I focus more on the form than the weight.

Tbh my progress is going really well, I feel a lot stronger and I’m noticing more muscle development than before.
  • middlehaitch
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Continue what you are doing, it’s working.
    If you ever want to change up your programme,you are no longer progressing on the one you are doing, here is a list of proven programmes.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Take pics every couple of weeks and compare them. The progress you have made so far is quite visable.

Cheers, h.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thanks for that tip, that’s what I was looking for. When I sit down, a lot of fat just compressed against each other and I can grab it which I hate most. I’ll try to ease on the caloric deficit a bit and I’ll see how that will turn out! 👍

I'm sorry, but this won't change. After all, you're compressing your abdomen and the skin, fat, muscles, the organs that look tight when standing have to go somewhere. That's why guys that show off a sixpack don't do so sitting.

But hey, there's progress :) Keep at it: lift weights and have a small deficit. It will be slow but I'm sure you'll get there <3
  • phong_ngo
    Options
    So at what point should I start fitting ab exercises into my routine? Do you guys think that my body fat (judging from the picture) is good enough or should I lose some fat?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So at what point should I start fitting ab exercises into my routine? Do you guys think that my body fat (judging from the picture) is good enough or should I lose some fat?

If you want to strengthen your abs and develop the muscles, i would start now.

Can you provide details on your lifting routine, outside of PPL?
  • phong_ngo
    edited January 2019
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

If you want to strengthen your abs and develop the muscles, i would start now.

Can you provide details on your lifting routine, outside of PPL?

I only do PPL as I find it most useful to cover all of the muscle groups.

x2 push day covering chest, shoulder and triceps
    -DB press
    -barbell press
    -High cable chest fly
    -tricep dips
    -tricep pushdown
    -tricep overhead extension
    -military shoulder press
    -overhead press
    -plate front raises

x2 pull day covering back and biceps
    -Standing DB bicep curls
    -30 mercy with wide, narrow and neutral grip
    -seated row
    -pull ups
    -lat pull down
    -One arm DB row

x2 Leg day
    -seated leg press
    -hip abduction
    -calf press
    -squats
    -deadlifts

Normally I will pick about 2 exercises for each muscle group and I alternate from day to day so I can cover everything. Something to note, all of the exercises are NOT covered in one day, I want to switch it up. For example, I will do DB press high cable chest fly on one day but chest dips and barbell press on another day. Also I do ab exercises 4 times a week as well as once or twice of cardio a week.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.