Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Options
    phong_ngo wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    So at what point should I start fitting ab exercises into my routine? Do you guys think that my body fat (judging from the picture) is good enough or should I lose some fat?

If you want to strengthen your abs and develop the muscles, i would start now.

Can you provide details on your lifting routine, outside of PPL?

I only do PPL as I find it most useful to cover all of the muscle groups.

x2 push day covering chest, shoulder and triceps
    -DB press
    -barbell press
    -High cable chest fly
    -tricep dips
    -tricep pushdown
    -tricep overhead extension
    -military shoulder press
    -overhead press
    -plate front raises

x2 pull day covering back and biceps
    -Standing DB bicep curls
    -30 mercy with wide, narrow and neutral grip
    -seated row
    -pull ups
    -lat pull down
    -One arm DB row

x2 Leg day
    -seated leg press
    -hip abduction
    -calf press
    -squats
    -deadlifts

Normally I will pick about 2 exercises for each muscle group and I alternate from day to day so I can cover everything. Something to note, all of the exercises are NOT covered in one day, I want to switch it up. For example, I will do DB press high cable chest fly on one day but chest dips and barbell press on another day. Also I do ab exercises 4 times a week as well as once or twice of cardio a week.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

What rep scheme do you have? Are you tracking your lifts? Are you following the same lifts each week? It seems like you change frequently? Are you increasing loads each week?

How long have you been lifting? And outside of abs, do you have other goals.
  • phong_ngo
    phong_ngo Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    So at what point should I start fitting ab exercises into my routine? Do you guys think that my body fat (judging from the picture) is good enough or should I lose some fat?

-DB press
    -barbell press
    -High cable chest fly
    -tricep dips
    -tricep pushdown
    -military shoulder press
    -overhead press
    -plate front raises

-Standing DB bicep curls
    -seated row
    -pull ups
    -lat pull down
    -One arm DB row

x2 Leg day
    -seated leg press
    -hip abduction
    -calf press
    -squats
    -deadlifts

Normally I will pick about 2 exercises for each muscle group and I alternate from day to day so I can cover everything. Something to note, all of the exercises are NOT covered in one day, I want to switch it up. For example, I will do DB press high cable chest fly on one day but chest dips and barbell press on another day. Also I do ab exercises 4 times a week as well as once or twice of cardio a week.

What rep scheme do you have? Are you tracking your lifts? Are you following the same lifts each week? It seems like you change frequently? Are you increasing loads each week?

I do 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets for each exercise for hypertrophy. Yes, I’m tracking my lifts to see how much I’ve improved and I do progressive overload too for every two weeks. I don’t change frequently because I stick to the program that I made for each week due a stupid amount of money for a program and I follow it every time so I can increase the intensity.

I’ve been lifting for almost a year now and I used to lift back then but I stopped for a bit which was 2 years ago so I have a bit of muscle memory that helps me out now. My goal is to get lean tbh - shredded and get to 10% body fat.

P.S I forgot to say that I take supplements too. Not because I’m naive and media is promoting it but I take whey protein to cover the protein intake that I might miss throughout the day so I can maintain 120g of protein a day. Also I take creatine of 5g everyday for a 8 week regime for increasing my intensity during workout so I can perform better. After the 8 weeks, I stop taking it for 2 weeks then go back to it for another 8 weeks with 2-3g.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Not to be offensive but that’s the basics to fitness, I’m at a caloric deficit of 1550 calories instead of around the 1800. But the problem is, I think it’s harder for me to lose the belly fat due to genetics because my mum stores fat around her belly too.

Then you simply need to keep going, lose more body fat. Get to a true 10% or so and you'll have visible abs, even if just a little.

Now. You should have been doing it all along, even if just one day for a single set. It's more than nothing. Abdominals are muscles too.. they can grow and increase in strength the same as any other, why would you NOT work them?

Looking at your October picture, based on your height and what your body structure and shape look like to me, I'd say you will have to halve your current body fat or close to it in order to have full visible abs.

Also, most people who achieve that, don't retain it because it can be a PITA; many of stated on this and other forums/groups that visible abs to that degree just is not worth it. Up to you, good luck and good job on the progress thus far. Just keep going.

• psuLemon
    Options

-DB press
    -barbell press
    -High cable chest fly
    -tricep dips
    -tricep pushdown
    -military shoulder press
    -overhead press
    -plate front raises

-Standing DB bicep curls
    -seated row
    -pull ups
    -lat pull down
    -One arm DB row

x2 Leg day
    -seated leg press
    -hip abduction
    -calf press
    -squats
    -deadlifts

I do 8-12 reps for 3-4 sets for each exercise for hypertrophy. Yes, I’m tracking my lifts to see how much I’ve improved and I do progressive overload too for every two weeks. I don’t change frequently because I stick to the program that I made for each week due a stupid amount of money for a program and I follow it every time so I can increase the intensity.

I’ve been lifting for almost a year now and I used to lift back then but I stopped for a bit which was 2 years ago so I have a bit of muscle memory that helps me out now. My goal is to get lean tbh - shredded and get to 10% body fat.

P.S I forgot to say that I take supplements too. Not because I’m naive and media is promoting it but I take whey protein to cover the protein intake that I might miss throughout the day so I can maintain 120g of protein a day. Also I take creatine of 5g everyday for a 8 week regime for increasing my intensity during workout so I can perform better. After the 8 weeks, I stop taking it for 2 weeks then go back to it for another 8 weeks with 2-3g.

Well hypertrophy can occur across a broad range of reps. So you don't necessarily need to be in the 8-12 rep range for everything.

Where I can't tell from your post is how many lifts are you doing each session? And when you say you are doing progressive overload for every two weeks what do you mean?

Honestly, i am struggling to guage if you are hittint each muscle group equally. I tend to see people put more volume in thr push work vs the pull work, which can lead to injury.

Have you looked into following a structured program designed by a professional? They tend to be more balanced and provides a much better foundation than what the typical person can do.
  • phong_ngo
    Options

-DB press
    -barbell press
    -High cable chest fly
    -tricep dips
    -tricep pushdown
    -military shoulder press
    -overhead press
    -plate front raises

-Standing DB bicep curls
    -seated row
    -pull ups
    -lat pull down
    -One arm DB row

x2 Leg day
    -seated leg press
    -hip abduction
    -calf press
    -squats
    -deadlifts

Well hypertrophy can occur across a broad range of reps. So you don't necessarily need to be in the 8-12 rep range for everything.

Where I can't tell from your post is how many lifts are you doing each session? And when you say you are doing progressive overload for every two weeks what do you mean?

Honestly, i am struggling to guage if you are hittint each muscle group equally. I tend to see people put more volume in thr push work vs the pull work, which can lead to injury.

Have you looked into following a structured program designed by a professional? They tend to be more balanced and provides a much better foundation than what the typical person can do.

What I mean is that by two weeks time, I’m comfortable enough to increase the weights. I’m always trying to increase the intensity of my workout so my sets for push day is the same as pull day. I know what you mean but they are balanced in terms of the intensity that I do.

No, unfortunately I’m not willing to spend stupid amount of money on a program.
  • phong_ngo
    Options
    Not to be offensive but that’s the basics to fitness, I’m at a caloric deficit of 1550 calories instead of around the 1800. But the problem is, I think it’s harder for me to lose the belly fat due to genetics because my mum stores fat around her belly too.

Then you simply need to keep going, lose more body fat. Get to a true 10% or so and you'll have visible abs, even if just a little.

Now. You should have been doing it all along, even if just one day for a single set. It's more than nothing. Abdominals are muscles too.. they can grow and increase in strength the same as any other, why would you NOT work them?

Looking at your October picture, based on your height and what your body structure and shape look like to me, I'd say you will have to halve your current body fat or close to it in order to have full visible abs.

Also, most people who achieve that, don't retain it because it can be a PITA; many of stated on this and other forums/groups that visible abs to that degree just is not worth it. Up to you, good luck and good job on the progress thus far. Just keep going.

Ok will do. Cheers for the tip. Are there any other tips or adjustments that I can make to my routine?

I feel like I’m progressing at a steady pace so everything is working out as planned.
  • psuLemon
    edited January 2019
    Options

-DB press
    -barbell press
    -High cable chest fly
    -tricep dips
    -tricep pushdown
    -military shoulder press
    -overhead press
    -plate front raises

-Standing DB bicep curls
    -seated row
    -pull ups
    -lat pull down
    -One arm DB row

x2 Leg day
    -seated leg press
    -hip abduction
    -calf press
    -squats
    -deadlifts

What I mean is that by two weeks time, I’m comfortable enough to increase the weights. I’m always trying to increase the intensity of my workout so my sets for push day is the same as pull day. I know what you mean but they are balanced in terms of the intensity that I do.

No, unfortunately I’m not willing to spend stupid amount of money on a program.

You don't need to spend thousands. There are tons of free work outs below.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

PHAT is one of my favorite pre designed routines.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    psuLemon wrote:

PHAT is one of my favorite pre designed routines.

I second PHAT, was a great program for both strength and hypertrophy. I ran PHAT for almost 7 months and have since switched and designed my own program following the Hypertrophy Training Guide by Mike Israetel.