Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What commonly given MFP Forum advice do you personally disagree with?

1252627282931»

Replies

• mackfoo
    mackfoo Posts: 28 Member
    Why do people believe conspiracy theories?

There's an element of excitement, of the belief that you know a 'truth' that others do not.
    Certainly ego is involved. (Conspiracy theorists call others 'sheeple', etc).

Convincing someone that they are misguided will strip them of their 'specialness'.

Besides anti-vaxxers, the flat-earth people are having a big comeback...
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    Colon cleanses.
  • UltraVegAthlete
    UltraVegAthlete Posts: 667 Member
    try2again wrote: »
    Colon cleanses.

Thankfully, that's not commonly given advice from long-time users.

You’re right, haha. Thank goodness.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    edited January 2019
    CSARdiver wrote: »

What I find interesting about all conspiracy theories is that these require two elements which go against human nature.

1. Secrecy - We love to talk, so the more people involved in containing information, the greater the risk. So keeping a small secret such as secretly switching full fat ice cream with low fat ice cream in a family may go unnoticed. Keeping a secret like the moon landing would require hundreds of people to be involved and require not one individual to have a death bed confession.

2. Competency - Anyone working in business or government for greater than a week realizes that our successes are largely through necessity and accident. The larger the organization the greater the level of incompetency. Even if someone may have the competency to develop some insidious plan, they would need the assistance of multiple competent people to execute this plan.

Not in my house it wouldn't. It might even get you disowned.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I believe the moon landings were staged, however....

vlzyb79n3lgt.jpg

K.

Now I have beer on my keyboard.

I'm stealing this!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    FireOpalCO wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »

What I find interesting about all conspiracy theories is that these require two elements which go against human nature.

1. Secrecy - We love to talk, so the more people involved in containing information, the greater the risk. So keeping a small secret such as secretly switching full fat ice cream with low fat ice cream in a family may go unnoticed. Keeping a secret like the moon landing would require hundreds of people to be involved and require not one individual to have a death bed confession.

2. Competency - Anyone working in business or government for greater than a week realizes that our successes are largely through necessity and accident. The larger the organization the greater the level of incompetency. Even if someone may have the competency to develop some insidious plan, they would need the assistance of multiple competent people to execute this plan.

Not in my house it wouldn't. It might even get you disowned.

Lethal force is justified. No jury would convict you.