Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I eat meat for the protein, but I don't enjoy most of it. Never have since I was a kid. My mom wouldn't let me be a vegetarian however. I feel that pretty much any dish tastes better minus the meat. LOL Just cook what you normally would and leave out the meat. Now, if you were doing this for more than a meal/day, of course you would have to be more careful about the nutritional balance. I stick to seafood/eggs/dairy for the most part for my protein sources so I would make a great pescatarian. I like jerky too much however to completely give up meat.

My kids are super picky and will only eat corn, green beans, carrots (raw only) and broccoli (raw only). We don’t eat red meat often so I could cut that out easily. I make a lot of chicken and salmon. I can do cheesey pasta dishes and Mexican dishes. I can make it work one day a week maybe two if I can master it. But that’s it. I like poultry too much.
  • gela130
    gela130 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Glad i found this group- looking for support:) good luck everyone- kids go back and i go back to the real world tomorrow- am looking forward to a healthy change!!
  • sharmour
    sharmour Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I’d like to join. I am new to the community discussions so not sure how it works. I turned 40 last year and have a goal to lose 25 pounds. I have started limiting calories and have decided to cut out all alcohol until I lose 10 pounds.
  • GroverBlue78
    GroverBlue78 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I turn 41 in April and would like to get healthy and start moving my body again. Would love it if that turns into weight loss. My goal would be to lose a total of 50lbs. I packed on a lot after my 3yo was born. I know its going to be tough and could use some support. Feel free to add me.
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    sweetnic wrote: »
    Ladies, are you giving up wine because you want too? Or is there health risks involved? I only ask because I am a steadfast Michelob Ultra drinker. I have drank it the entire time while losing weight. I have lost over 50 pounds still drinking. I work in construction with a lot of guys, so beer is always a necessity....LOL

I am cutting out wine because after a couple glasses I hit the pantry for snacks. I can’t just seem to have one glass and call it quits for now. I am going to make it through January alcohol free and then add it back in on weekends only and see how it goes. Definitely not quitting for health reasons!!

We are spirit sisters haha! I joined the AF January challenge to jumpstart the year!
  • sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @winodini - lol! I love it! I joined the AF January challenge as well! We got this!
  • jmgr9993
    jmgr9993 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    Have the weekend is over and I am managing to keep things under control. My husband wants to go vegetarian but the kids and I are not on board. So we compromised and are having meatless Saturdays. Today was our first and I’m having trouble figuring out meals that are healthy and all will eat. Dinner is going to be a frozen meatless meal for me. The kids are having bean and cheese burritos and my husband is doing his usual beans and rice. Not a great start but at least we all did it!

I have done a lot of reading and talking to my dietician from the Livestrong program I belong to (3 year breast cancer survivor) plant based diets have so many benefits. I have been a vegetarian for a year now. My husband and children eat vegetarian when I prepare our meals and then when we go out to eat they eat meat. We phased into it. Found a lot of meat substitute meals on Pinterest. My kids now eat more fruits and veggies than ever and because the meals are so good they really don’t miss the meat. For us it was all about compromising. Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go! I honestly thought I would be the last person to give up meat I honestly don’t miss it at all.
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    @winodini - lol! I love it! I joined the AF January challenge as well! We got this!

Where is this thread/group? I've been looking for it!!

I managed to make it through the whole weekend AF! I'm actually pretty proud of myself. I had lots of small temptations but I powered through. :smile:
  • winodini
    Options

Where is this thread/group? I've been looking for it!!

I managed to make it through the whole weekend AF! I'm actually pretty proud of myself. I had lots of small temptations but I powered through. :smile:

It’s in the challenges forum- Less Alcohol-January 2019 One Day At A Time! Join in!

• Grammytryingtogetfit
    Options
    Congratulations Ladies, sounds like you are all off to a great start!!!
    I hope everyone has a smashing Monday!
    @springsweet , you can add it to your "favorites" by clicking the star button in the top right corner:)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    jmgr9993 wrote: »
    DaniMerc72 wrote: »
    Happy Friday! What kind of plans does everyone have this weekend? Tonight we are doing late Christmas with my parents and brothers, and my parents are doing a full turkey dinner--YIKES! I have to seriously count every single bite I take and be mindful of how much I am eating! Other than that I have no real plans this weekend. I am "de-Christmasing" the house and putting all the decorations away, and then spending the weekend cleaning and organizing the house and doing other domestic chores. Mostly a quiet, boring weekend, but I'm going to get a few workouts in and drink lots of water!

Not sure what of the country you are from, in Ohio we are experiencing some unusual weather for January... it feels like spring warm and sunny!!! So we are hoping to get out of the house this weekend and tackle some hiking 😊 hope everything goes well with the turkey dinner !!

Hi! What part of Ohio? I'm far north, on Lake Erie. Always looking for fitness minded activities.
  • sweetnic
    sweetnic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    Happy Friday! What kind of plans does everyone have this weekend? Tonight we are doing late Christmas with my parents and brothers, and my parents are doing a full turkey dinner--YIKES! I have to seriously count every single bite I take and be mindful of how much I am eating! Other than that I have no real plans this weekend. I am "de-Christmasing" the house and putting all the decorations away, and then spending the weekend cleaning and organizing the house and doing other domestic chores. Mostly a quiet, boring weekend, but I'm going to get a few workouts in and drink lots of water!

Not sure what of the country you are from, in Ohio we are experiencing some unusual weather for January... it feels like spring warm and sunny!!! So we are hoping to get out of the house this weekend and tackle some hiking 😊 hope everything goes well with the turkey dinner !!

Hi! What part of Ohio? I'm far north, on Lake Erie. Always looking for fitness minded activities.

I live in Virginia now, but am from Elyria. @funjen1972 - which northern OH city do you live in?
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options

I live in Virginia now, but am from Elyria. @funjen1972 - which northern OH city do you live in?

I'm in Huron....my father is from Elyria.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I had a great week and managed to stay within calorie budget but I am up 0.5lbs today. Bummer but I’m not going to let this set me off track. I will just keep on plowing through.

@jmgr9993 Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to master it and bump it up to 2 days a week in February. Just need to figure out some healthy options the kids will eat.
  • jmgr9993
    jmgr9993 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

We live an hour south of Cleveland. We are always up near Lake Erie. We have found so many interesting hiking trails all over Northeast Ohio. My husband loves to do geocaching and he has got me loving it to. We find all kinds of new spots to explore through that app.
  • winodini
    Options
    Is anyone else juggling how to find time to workout around a job and kids? I’d much rather work out in the morning or early evening, but most nights it’s 7:30-9pm before I can get free. I feel like I spend all day trying to stay motivated to get to that point; I had to push hard last night to do 30 minutes at home after talking myself out of going to the gym for “XYZ” reasons that were not a reason to skip and feeling guilty for the lack of will. 👊🏻
  • winodini
    Options
    azkunk wrote: »
    I had a great week and managed to stay within calorie budget but I am up 0.5lbs today. Bummer but I’m not going to let this set me off track. I will just keep on plowing through.

@jmgr9993 Thanks for the encouragement. I hope to master it and bump it up to 2 days a week in February. Just need to figure out some healthy options the kids will eat.

Small ups and down are inevitable, but know long term will bring bigger results 🤗
  • Weeese
    Weeese Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    winodini wrote: »
    Is anyone else juggling how to find time to workout around a job and kids? I’d much rather work out in the morning or early evening, but most nights it’s 7:30-9pm before I can get free. I feel like I spend all day trying to stay motivated to get to that point; I had to push hard last night to do 30 minutes at home after talking myself out of going to the gym for “XYZ” reasons that were not a reason to skip and feeling guilty for the lack of will. 👊🏻

Can identify with this Winodini! Trying to get creative with extra long hikes with the dog, getting the kids involved in some fun time workouts too. I find my gym excuses are more plentiful when I’ve had an emotionally draining day. Some days I let messed off with it, others I push through and say even 20mins is better than nothing. :smile:

• winodini
    Options
    Weeese wrote: »
    winodini wrote: »

Can identify with this Winodini! Trying to get creative with extra long hikes with the dog, getting the kids involved in some fun time workouts too. I find my gym excuses are more plentiful when I’ve had an emotionally draining day. Some days I let messed off with it, others I push through and say even 20mins is better than nothing. :smile:

I stole the dog walking chore this morning from the kids; hoping I can make that a habit (sure the kids won’t mind 😂)

We have several state parks within a small radius of my house, so I will look into that as well. Thanks for the tip! That would be something I could do with the younger kids for sure!