Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    exercise.png

Today my husband and I ran our first trail race! And also our first race which was part of a series. The Memphis Winter Off-Road series starts with 3k, then 5k, 8k, and finally 10k, at four different venues in the Memphis area, making it a perfect way to ease into trail racing.

Well done! And that sounds like a great race series to start with!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,244 Member
    @rheddmobile Great race report!! Sounds like a lot of fun! And a really good AG finish!
    Also makes me realize I should really get some trail shoes! I don't really run on trails much but I signed up for a trail 5k this year and I definitely don't want to be sliding around!!
  • hitartist
    hitartist Posts: 1 Member
    I wish I had contacts I can compare my progress wig
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @Orphia @Avidkeo and @Kimtrooper yep I'm in Brisbane, Aus ☺

Damn even again lol

Oh, no, sorry, I'm going to offend someone here for forgetting them, but who else is a Kiwi other than you and @ContraryMaryMary ?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Orphia wrote: »

Damn even again lol

Oh, no, sorry, I'm going to offend someone here for forgetting them, but who else is a Kiwi other than you and @ContraryMaryMary ?

She doesn't post very often but @emmab0902 is kiwi too
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I want to prioritise running a bit more this year. I started running about 3 years ago with C25K. I completed the program and was still running regularly but without really any goal in mind. Usually I'd do about 3-4K round the block in the morning 2-3 times a week.

My friend then got me in to Parkrun (a free weekly timed 5K at the local park on a Saturday morning) and I decided to focus more on time. I really wanted to achieve at sub 30 minute 5K (probably quite slow for a lot of you but a real challenge for me) so I upped my running frequency and distance. I also signed up for a 10K last February where I astounded myself by completing it in 1:04. Spurred on by this I finally got my sub 30 minute 5K the following week. However, I have not been able to achieve this since and during the latter half of the year I was running less frequently and my time was creeping up until I was regularly coming in at around 33 minutes. Parkrun was becoming the only time I was running, and I found it really hard to motivate myself to run during the week.

I am determined to get back to sub 30 minutes so I will be upping my frequency to 3 times a week (2 weekdays plus Parkrun). I am also looking at doing another 10K later in the year because having a goal to work towards motivated me to run more regularly. I might also join a local running group because running with other people is what motivates me to do parkrun every week so I would love a chance to do this during the week. I just need to find one with slow people like me! So I want to use this group for accountability for my weekly runs and also to record my parkrun times and hopefully get a bit faster.

This is my January so far:
    01/01/18 – New Year Parkrun – 5K – Time 32:19 – Pace 6:33/km
    05/01/18 – Parkrun – 5K – Time 32:04 – Pace 6:24/km

@jesspen91 Welcome back!! I really love your plan, it's excellent! What country are you in?

LOL, don't get me started about how awesome parkrun is!!! :smiley:

#loveparkrun #DFYB (don't forget your barcode) #smallpalloneword #itsarunnotarace :smiley:

I've only missed going on 4 Saturdays in 169 weeks.

I've really enjoyed doing Parkrun the last couple of weeks. Looking into getting it started at home. Problem is finding a suitable venue
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member

Damn even again lol

She doesn't post very often but @emmab0902 is kiwi too

Wow, cool! Thanks!

@emmab0902 The incredible swimmer? I keep admiring her more and more, but it looks like now we are mortal enemies. ;):smiley: