January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Well @pastorvincent, I am a bit older than you...long before PC magazine or PC's, we were playing a mainframe precursor to Dungeons and Dragons when I first started working in IT in the very early 80s. I hated AOL and never had an account with them. I also worked with graphical teletype machines for the scientific arm of one of the oil companies before PC's were really a thing. We did have a 'remote online terminal' that ran at 300 baud for anyone who remembers that and yes the very large floppy disks that were actually floppy :) A few years later I worked for a bank that had one of the first widely networked and interconnected ATM systems :)

Yeah, I am not that chronologically old yet. In 1983 when I got my computer start, I was in third grade. :) I started with the 5 1/4" disk and tape disks, never did the punch card thing though I have worked in FORTRAN and KOBOL and the like.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    January Goal: Do more than last month

1/1 1.25
    1/2 2.20
    1/3 rest
    1/4 carb loading dinner
    1/5 7.75

Total: 11.25

Upcoming races:

January 4, 2019 Hilo to Volcano Ultra 50k Relay. In memory of @keeprunningfatboy

Ticker is my goal for 2019 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Race Report:
    We started at 6am at Reeds Island Park in Hilo. Our team members were Sookyung (my neighbor), Evita (who is the niece of another neighbor, and who is visiting from Manilla, Phillipines), @elise4270, Eric and me.
    Sookyung took the first leg of 2.7 miles (in the dark...), handed off to Eric, then Elise, me and Evita.

Repeat x 3...EXCEPT, when we got to the summit, the route turned off the main highway to Wright road. The race was to end at Cooper Center, and on my last leg (remember, I'm fourth), I turned where I was supposed to....and Cooper Center was .25 miles away. Which means, somehow we were short a leg. I asked a passerby who told me the route continued on PAST Cooper Center, and the turnaround for last leg was much further up the road.
    So, I called our driver (DH) .....who didn't answer. I texted him. While running. He called me. The call dropped. He texted me, "we are waiting at Cooper Center". Finally was able to connect and told him to keep driving up Wright road. He said "they are all walking to meet you so you can all finish together. "

NO!!!Keep driving.....but they didn't. I finally reached the handoff site for the last leg....and figured if they were walking to meet me, it would be awhile (since I had now run a mile past my scheduled leg).....so I kept going, made the turnaround, and finally ran into them all about .75 miles later....tagged Evita and she took off. Eric ran again, as he liked the terrain. The others kindly kept me company cause I was....done. DH finally came with the car, picked us up and drove us back to near Cooper Center, where we waited for Evita, and all ran together to finish...at 12:03.
    At the first handoff, a local reporter was there and asked us a few questions. She stopped again at the second handoff, we told our story of Dennis, she took pics and names. We'll see if we make the papers!

Handoff, Hill from He!! and happy finishers!
    15oridg1nu3v.jpg
    39yr4jpp3mox.jpg
    rccxwt68jj61.jpg

YAY! Way to get it done! Scan/post the paper when you make the front page, please! :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @mobycarp love that medal!