January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - I was just going to post that by my time calculation you and the @honunui relay team should be finished and enjoying some post race food! 😄
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    January

1—5.45
    5—7.5 for @KeepRunningFatboy. All up “hill”. Sea to 4000ft. Excellent company and fish and chips. :smiley:

13.0 / 71 miles

Upcoming races
    🤙January 5 BIRR Ultra relay. 50k. Hawaii. For @KeepRunningFatboy ✔️
    March 31, 2019 A2A 5k. Ardmore OK
    April 28, 2019 OKC Memorial Marathon. half
    November 24, 2019 Route 66 half. Tulsa OK.
    Run the Year team A 400+ miles

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10710465/2019-run-the-year-group#latest

Yay! Congrats!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    But wait, I like Converse All-Stars. This IS a conundrum!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I actually read all the posts and have for about a year now, although sometimes that’s the only leisure reading I do all day (I also I read the way most Americans watch TV, ie a lot). I’ve certainly given up on commenting as frequently as I would if this site used nested comments/threading.

Ever since high school I’ve been a part of high-volume online communities, usual related to my dominant interest or hobby and often for years at a time - it’s interesting to look back and see how those changes reflect my personal growth. In high school I was part of a mental health support email list, in college Livejournal then Facebook were my main communities, then Blizzard’s World of Warcraft forums, then Jezebel, then I bounced around a few writing communities, then a job search advice site called Ask a Manager, finally the general forums here and now this thread. Whew!

Hahaha, nerd fight!!! Forums (critical thinking & logic communities in forums and on Facebook) have been my internet pastime for 25 years, and I HATE nested comments/threading on forums. I avoid Reddit precisely for that reason.
  • Orphia
    edited January 2019
    Options
    But wait, I like Converse All-Stars. This IS a conundrum!

They're iconic, but soooo uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever worn them without getting a blister. I wouldn't dream of running in them.

Same with Doc Martens.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I actually read all the posts and have for about a year now, although sometimes that’s the only leisure reading I do all day (I also I read the way most Americans watch TV, ie a lot). I’ve certainly given up on commenting as frequently as I would if this site used nested comments/threading.

Ever since high school I’ve been a part of high-volume online communities, usual related to my dominant interest or hobby and often for years at a time - it’s interesting to look back and see how those changes reflect my personal growth. In high school I was part of a mental health support email list, in college Livejournal then Facebook were my main communities, then Blizzard’s World of Warcraft forums, then Jezebel, then I bounced around a few writing communities, then a job search advice site called Ask a Manager, finally the general forums here and now this thread. Whew!

Hahaha, nerd fight!!! Forums (critical thinking & logic communities in forums and on Facebook) have been my internet pastime for 25 years, and I HATE nested comments/threading on forums. I avoid Reddit precisely for that reason.

25 years... *sigh* kids these days. In 1983 I was already online in international forums, MUDs and so on. Joined the "new" Internet somewhere in 1990 when it first opened to the public with a text-based broswer... I have seen things...so many things! :lol:

:lol:

Can I get in on the nerd fight? I wasn't really active online until about 1993, but I was a professional paid moderator at one of the first large gaming forums. Also, I was in the beta test for Ultima Online, the first mmorpg. Imagine a time before people had any idea how awful an idea it was to put a bunch of folks in an online sandbox and expect them to play nice!

UO was the best!! I lost so many hours in that game on my 56k modem! Heh. WOW and the others would nit exist save for UO. It was not the first MMORPG but it did blast wide open the genre.
  • Orphia
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

25 years... *sigh* kids these days. In 1983 I was already online in international forums, MUDs and so on. Joined the "new" Internet somewhere in 1990 when it first opened to the public with a text-based broswer... I have seen things...so many things! :lol:

:lol:

It's not that sort of fight. I wasn't claiming to be the oldest or the best online. :neutral:

Just voicing forum tastes.

This one's pretty good as far as forums go. A lot of them really make you think they're a dying format.

Either that or a lot of admins have got too old and crusty to attempt to upgrade to the latest software version. :smiley:;)

I owned/ran a PHPBB forum community for about 5 years, and learnt a lot. Now I'm admin of a few Facebook groups, and find it a good format for sharing interests.
  • Orphia
    Options
    Were any of you around long enough ago to remember the Shareware craze? In 1996 I made into PC/Computing's best downloads on the internet. :)

k5e5avfpay07.png

Those were fun times... heh, the magazine still has an unopened AOL 3.5" disk!

I remember that magazine. Those *kitten* disks were scattered all over our house. :smiley: