January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    @RunsOnEspresso great job on your 5K! Good luck tomorrow with the HM!

@workaholic_nurse fantastic you got your distance PR today!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    1/01/2019 - 10.5 miles
    1/02/2019 - 10.5 miles
    1/03/2019 - 5 miles @ 7mph w/ 5% incline
    1/04/2019 - Planned Rest day
    1/05/2019 - 15 miles
    1/06/2019 - 0KM
    1/07/2019 - 0KM
    1/08/2019 - 8 miles
    1/09/2019 - 9.4 miles
    1/10/2019 - 6.5mph for 1 hour @ 5% grade
    1/11/2019 - 0KM
    1/12/2019 - 10 miles
    1/13/2019 - 15 miles
    1/14/2019 - 0KM
    1/15/2019 - 7MPH for 1 hour @5% grade
    1/16/2019 - 0KM
    1/17/2019 - 7MPH for 1 hour @5% grade
    1/18/2019 - 0KM
    1/19/2019 - 11 rainy miles

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    This was shared by @MobyCarp in our FB group, and I think y'all need to see it too...
    oa9w12b7arvk.png

This rocks! Thanks so much for sharing @PastorVincent !
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Hello MRCers! I know it's been awhile, but I wanted to pop in and ask a random question...does anybody have experience with popping/snapping hip syndrome? I'm not sure if that's what I have, but I've noticed for the last few years that sometimes my right hip will click or pop. It will always do this when I am lying flat on my back with my right leg extended straight upward and I slowly lower it to the floor. It's not painful, however I've had a lot of minor (and a few larger) injuries on my right side the past few years due to weak hips and I am wondering if the two are likely related.

Mine does this sometimes and I've been told it's due to temporary muscle and tendon swelling making one tendon snap over the other, and isn't harmful. It comes and goes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »

Our bodies are pretty darn good at adjusting our composition and the like on the fly to match our lifestyles. Constant scale watching just makes us panic which is why many "gurus," say not to weigh yourself every day despite the fact most of us will do just that when we are actively seeking to loose :)

I take issue with the gurus. I get that they are trying to keep novice weight loser from despairing, by keeping the weigh-ins far enough apart to show a loss every time in spite of fluctuations. But for me, weight measurement is data. Strip off the emotions, and more data becomes good. Because I weigh myself every day, and I've looked at some of the causes of fluctuation, I can tell you:

- I will weigh more after a rest day. This doesn't mean I added fat because I didn't burn all the calories I ate; it primarily means I added water as it binds to glycogen, replenishing my stores so I can run well the next day.

- My weight will fluctuate by 3% to 5% intra-day. I try to make my "standard" daily weight as consistent as possible; but it's less consistent in retirement than it was while I was working.

- Common advice to distance runners is to weigh yourself before and after a long run to quantify water loss. I have a marathon-running friend who says he routinely loses 5 pounds on a long run. (I estimate he's around 160 base weight.) I can't tell you how much I routinely lose, because I'm lousy at remembering to weigh myself before the run. Doesn't really matter long term; it comes back when I re-hydrate.

- I will lose 2 to 3 pounds over the course of a marathon training cycle, even though I'm trying to maintain. I'll put on 3 to 5 pounds in the 3 days before a marathon, by abandoning food discipline in favor of building glycogen. And if I don't get injured while running the marathon, that mini-spike will come right off the next week when I return to food discipline.

- And I would be oblivious to most of this if I only weighed myself once a week.

I lose 2 pounds most nights just by sleeping. :) I only record a couple-few times a week, first thing in the morning after emptying my bladder, before eating and drinking but I watch a lot more often. I think most people that are trying to lose weight do.

To compare to your buddy, 5 pounds is approaching what I lose per hour during a summer run. A bit less in winter. :)
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself *almost* every other Monday. It's about the only time I remember. Mornings aren't my strong suit.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Eye surgery done and I'm recovered enough to go run. Got on the treadmill for some intervals today, 7 miles. Slow overall, but intervals were fast. Unfortunately, low BG towards the end didn't help.

ETA:
    I'm signed up for a marathon Apr. 13 and thinking about a 50K on Apr. 20 and another marathon on Apr. 6. If I keep having slow days like today, that will teach me not to sign up for any more than the Apr. 13.
    I'm also signed up for the Chicago Marathon in Oct. as a fundraiser entry.

Glad to hear your ready to run again! That race schedule April 6,13 and 20th sounds insane. I hope it pans out for you!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Forgot to put this up with my earlier post: today is new shoe Saturday
    Brooks adrenaline
    and
    new New Balance 860's4v5zeppjug7e.jpg

/Happy dance 🤯🎉

Does that say “14D” on that shoe box? Definitely happy dance when you find shoes in your size! My dd wears 11-12 women’s and just gave up and buys men’s shoes. She’s a girly girl too, so it terribly hard to find nice shoes for her.