January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    ddmom0811 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @ddmom0811 are you going on one of those cruise ships with a track on the upper level? If so I want to see the run on Strava to see the ovals shifting as the ship steams ahead.
    This is a Windsurf ship which is smaller - only 300 people. But it says there is outdoor running so maybe there is. Last time I took a cruise it was a huge ship and the outdoor running was not as fun as I thought it would be.
    But I will give it a try!

I wasn't a huge fan of outdoor running on a cruise ship either. It was hard to get into a pace with the winding narrow hallways at either end and people meandering around the open sides. I also don't really run on a track, so I'm not used to having to do so many loops. I will probably opt for a treadmill with a nice view next time I'm on a ship.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    @sarahthes when it gets that cold I tend to run small loops near my house so I can bail out if I need to. If you're dropped off several km from your house, there's no bailing out. I'm glad you brought gym clothes! And I'm glad you're out of your funk.

@ddmom0811 I found a Strava track for someone running 100 MILES on a cruise ship. It wasn't as interesting as I thought, since the ship was moving fast enough that you can't see the ovals. You say it's a Wind Surfer trip...as in the big sailboat?!?! Now I'm jealous!

@Butterchop I've had dogs follow me many times. One followed me for an entire run and even came into my garage. I used to try to get them to stay put but now I only do that if the owner is there to help out. If not, I enjoy the company. They'll find there way back.

@martaindale congrats for hitting maintenance!! I dream of that some day...I've come close, but not close enough.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It is currently -19C with a windchill of -29C. I brought 2 bags to work today: one filled with 'arctic running' clothes and one filled with gym clothes. Currently leaning strongly towards gym...

Brrrrr! Its like 7-8C here and I'm freezing all day! I'm definitely going to the gym where itll surely be too warm, 26-27C
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    @Elise4270 I like 7-8C as long as there's no wind. Or lightning.

@7lenny7 I don't get in funks often but I hate it when I do. Bleh. Glad it's over. I'm only supposed to run 2-4km today so if there was no wind I was going to get dropped off 3km from home. But there's wind and it's nasty.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,646 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    It is currently -19C with a windchill of -29C. I brought 2 bags to work today: one filled with 'arctic running' clothes and one filled with gym clothes. Currently leaning strongly towards gym...

I can't even imagine... My coldest run ever was about 4C.

Today I missed my early morning running slot before my husband left for work and now it looks like I'll be running in very humid high 20s sometime around midday. Urg. Praying for a breeze.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Aw man, I didn’t think I was going to want to run today but the sun is actually out and it’s about as warm as it’s likely to be for a couple of weeks but I can’t go because I just got off a conference call for work and have to leave in 20 minutes for an appointment I’ve already postponed once. And when I get home again the sun will be gone. Bummer.

Not much running this week, but I’m really enjoying the new gym. Class yesterday was great - I did my very first barbell squat! It felt much more balanced than squatting with dumbbells and I’m really excited to get some heavy weight going. I’m hoping to make it to my first yoga class this weekend, too. The yoga classes are meant as a supplement to the strength classes so I'm hoping it's not too intimidating.

@Butterchop: I’m in the “call animal control” camp. It sounds like their owners are easily identified - maybe this would be the wakeup call they need to keep their dogs from being hit by a car. Back when I lived in California there was a family across the highway from us that would let their dogs run loose and they’d chase me on my bike. One of them eventually did get hit and killed after I moved away.

@martaindale: Congratulations on maintenance! Living the dream!

@7lenny7: WOO! Just in time for the cold front to roll in…

@RunsOnEspresso: I say “ope” too. I totally never realized it was a thing until someone mentioned it.

@samthepanda: I keep my mileage elsewhere and copy it in here - this thread is definitely too fast-moving to be an easily accessible record! I don’t know what your training program is, but most runs don’t need to push you to the point where you can’t do anymore. If you’re a beginner to running slow is key!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited January 2019
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Is anyone in North America planning a lunar eclipse run Sunday night? In the central time zone it starts at 10:41 pm, reaches totality at 11:13 pm, and ends at 11:43 pm. It will also be a "Supermoon"

I'm torn. I'd like to run during the eclipse, but I'd also like to set up my camera on a tripod and get a nice time lapse. If I could run trails, I'd definitely do a lunar eclipse trail run, but that's still a couple of weeks out.

I am planning a time lapse if the sky is clear, but I live in Pittsburgh chances are not very good.

zbb0uh7gy7ew.png