January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

So far, I'm really behind on my distance this month! I skipped about 10km to baby my knee during the week, then I skipped another 15km to go skiing on the weekend. Tonight I'm going climbing right after work, but I should really make sure to go running afterwards, no matter how late I come home... It's so frustrating that it's beautiful sunshine outside right now, but when I get home from work it's still already dark. I prefer winter temperatures over summer temperatures for running, but a bit of daylight now and then would also be welcome!
    9c5dd74b87db6b5f9c321d9260551235.jpg

@_nikkiwolf_ I do almost all my runs in the dark currently(@ 0430-0500 starts usually) and am eagerly anticipating the longer days with earlier sunrises too! B)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »

I think there must have been a mistranslation somewhere, that same shirt reads "up to 15 degrees C" on the Chinese website. Which is also a load of crap, as I don't fish it out until it gets well into the single digits. Maybe their product testers put them on and then hang around chatting outdoors (for which it is totally comfortable at 15C).

I had correctly assumed it was a typo for °F. 15° C = 59° F, so the math works out. It looks to be about the same weight as the long sleeve tech shirts I get for races here. So . . . either French runners run much colder than upstate NY runners, or the company is primarily marketing to non-runners who think they want to run and still think 59°F/15°C is cool. For me, it's borderline between short sleeve tee and singlet with no great negative consequence one way or the other.

59 in that grey range between T-shirt and Long Sleeve where depends on sun/etc. Definitely not second layer pull over range :D

I might try the shirt Joey suggested linked when I get some cash. Still a bit undecided. The price is good, so maybe. Seems lots of people on this thread like their stuff so that helps.

But definitely get the feeling their "running expert" does not run or only runs in warmer climates based on the numbers :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I have some great running clothes from Decathlon. Nearly all of my running stuff, in fact.
    (I ordered UA pants twice, but was really disappointed the second time because the new ones where much shorter than the old version...) I especially appreciate that their running tights have POCKETS. Not just one single stupid tiny key thing at the back, but actual pockets where I can put things in. This one is my favourite. For running when it's cold (usually between -5C to 0C) I use a combination of this shirt with this vest. Of course, one advantage I have compared to you is that I don't have to put up with bad translations :mrgreen:

The French site looks much more respectable too! :neutral: Almost like a professional made that site, and his kid made the USA one.
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of signing up for the Hogeye Marathon in Springdale, AR (4/6/19). Does anyone here know if they have bacon on the course? It seems like they should have it either on the course or at the end (as a minimum). Has anyone done this race and do you know? If not, I might message the RD. I'm really thinking about signing up and that might push me over the edge...

BACON would definitely be a deciding factor for me....still thinking about @mbaker566 belgian waffle with bacon pic from the other day....YUMMY!🥓 <3

That reminds me, I have a pork belly in my freezer. I need to thaw it out, cure it and smoke it so I haven't it in time for my long runs and races. Home cured & smoked bacon on the trail is nirvana.

@almostsuperpowered those roads look perfect for running. Nice job getting out there! I may be wearing my ski goggles later this week if the forecast holds. I haven't worn them yet for running but I'm looking forward to when I need them. Before I had them, if I was running in bitter cold during the day I discovered I could pull my buff completely over my face and still see well enough through to safely run. It did an amazing job to cut the wind. I'm sure I looked (more) like a dork though.

it is super dorky but also good for ensuring you don't get frostbite on your face parts ;)

And yes you DO need to get that pork belly out. greatest belly of all.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent hmm.. 59f is still tank/no shirt running weather here. Maybe its a cold 59 in Fronce 😆 eh, i like the look of the gear. Seems to be half the price-ish. I have a really nice warm nike shirt with thumb holes and a hood, i think it was 60-80$. So 30-40 is alright.
    I bought some cheaper running shirts when someone left staples/tacks in thier pockets and they happened to shred my good running shirts in the dryer They are Fila. They are heavy, hot, seams pull...i never wear them. Eh. But the group appears to think the decathlon brand is worth a go.

I also have some fila fleece lined running tights that are nice. Were cheep. Like 12$. Definitely worth it.

Let us know what you think of the product. I may spring for some just based on @noblsheep 's approval.

I agree with you about Fila - bad shirts, great cheap tights. Are they a Kohls brand? I don't think I've seen them except at Kohls.

I did find the shirts at kohls. Not sure on the tights, i found them online.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options

59 in that grey range between T-shirt and Long Sleeve where depends on sun/etc. Definitely not second layer pull over range :D

I might try the shirt Joey suggested linked when I get some cash. Still a bit undecided. The price is good, so maybe. Seems lots of people on this thread like their stuff so that helps.

But definitely get the feeling their "running expert" does not run or only runs in warmer climates based on the numbers :)

No idea about other countries but here at least, in line with their low-cost thing I guess, they only seem to employ youngsters who I assume are studying or whatever. Cheap, not particularly well-qualified or experienced, kind of thing. So probably just about any of us in this group, even us relative newbie runners, probably know more than their "running experts". (I actually applied for a part-time job with them and they didn't even bother replying, guess I'm at least 20 years too old for them lol).
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 How's the repaired toe tendon while running and the next day?