January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Sounds like a nice spot to run. Glad you had fun at your race!
    We don’t have a lot of trails near here so short of driving an hour or so to a race, it’s road for me. I signed up for a couple of trail races this year mostly as a way to get me out to a trail. Seems fun. We’ll see, I guess.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    A while ago our Running Club President approved me to do this, and today I did the Athletics Victoria nationally-accredited Run Leader Level 1 Coach course.

I'm now a coach!!

I'm not yet qualified to create training plans for people (that's the other levels 2 or 3) but I can now lead club training sessions.

CONGRATS!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Today I was a run leader for one of the running groups im a member of, and lead a pace group on a long run. I do it once a month with the group and absolutely love it! It was supposed to be a 13 mile route, but one of the group said she was scared of her marathon training plan for next week because she had to go over a HM distance for the first time, so we all agreed to run on to 13.5 to get over the mental barrier together. She cried when she did it, it was so lovely. I adore run-leading :blush: You’ll love it @Orphia, I have the equivalent qualification from UK Athletics and I love doing it.

AWESOME!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I did it!! Five full miles in the bag! Yipee! The first 3/4 mile felt like torture; I was afraid that I was going to suffer through the entire thing. But, after that, all of a sudden I felt...light and relaxed. It was amazing! The skies were threatening rain, so I wore a rain coat, which left me feeling like I was wearing one of those 90s-style trash bag get-ups, but I didn't even mind. Can't wait to step on the scale in a minute and see how much water weight I lost, though, because I was drenched with sweat by the end, despite the upper 40s temperatures. My average pace was 11:29, with splits of 12:18, 11:42, 11:22, 11:25, and 10:43. For once, I was actually reasonably consistent, if you ignore the first iffy mile and the last mile, when I got a bit excited by how good I was feeling. Lol. I'm tentatively planning a 5k on February 9th, and I'm starting to think that a sub-11 minute/mile pace might be possible for that one now. We'll see.

21.0/45.0 miles for January so far

W00T!!! CONGRATS!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    I bought an exercise bike and my husband set it up yesterday and I did an hour on it last night. It definitely got my heart rate up and I was sweating like crazy, but I’m not really sure how much of a workout it was. The resistance I used most of the time was a little less challenge than I wanted, but the next highest was at a point that I could really only push about 5 minutes at a time before having to set it back down. Hopefully it’s hitting different muscles from the running though because that was my main goal with it. I definitely felt it in the tops of my thighs. Today’s run was nice and relaxed, earlier than I would have liked to be out and pre-breakfast, but I needed to get it done and run errands before the snow starts again.

Bike riding CAN hinder your running if you do not keep running at the same time you are you using the bike - or do a special exercise to help.

So this happened to me when I ran in HS. What happens when you bike is there is a tiny muscle behind your knee that is only used to move the leg the last degree or so of movement. This muscle DOES NOT get used when you bike So the rest of your legs get strong, but that muscle atrophies.

If you keep running, it is not a problem cause running uses that muscle and it will keep up fine.

If you do not, then you will want to do an exercise that will target that muscle. Sit on a chair and raise your leg, all the way so that you use that muscle, like this:

sz14cfa704b5.png

Do each leg obviously. Using a resistance band, or other weight would be best.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    1/01/2019 - 10.5 miles
    1/02/2019 - 10.5 miles
    1/03/2019 - 5 miles @ 7mph w/ 5% incline
    1/04/2019 - Planned Rest day
    1/05/2019 - 15 miles
    1/06/2019 - 0KM
    1/07/2019 - 0KM
    1/08/2019 - 8 miles
    1/09/2019 - 9.4 miles
    1/10/2019 - 6.5mph for 1 hour @ 5% grade
    1/11/2019 - 0KM
    1/12/2019 - 10 miles

Upcoming Races
    Steel Challange 5k - May 2019
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 2019
    Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Race - May 2019

2021 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

2019 GOAL: Knock a full hour off my 50k time at Glacier Ridge.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thank you for that. I don’t plan to stop running, but I will have to take a steep cutback in February through March (as in maybe I will be able to run once a week if I’m lucky) so I’ll use it then to minimize muscle atrophy.