January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Long run DONE! 18 big ones this morning, and in the best case scenario for weather considering the forecast. Mostly cloudy (a few times I saw the sun and was quite surprised) and around 40 degrees. The wind didn't pick up until the last couple of miles, so most of the run wasn't affected by wind chill (the wind is now whipping up all sorts of trouble outside). I'm feeling very lucky that it was dry and not too windy for 90% of my run; had I started earlier or later I'd have been running in cold drizzle or in awful wind, neither of which is particularly pleasant.

The best part of the run though was that I had company! I ran the first 8 miles solo to meet two friends of mine who are in town for the weekend. Then the three of us ran 6 miles together, after which one of them took the metro to our end point to get us spots at a brunch place while my other friend and I finished out the last 4 miles and got to go straight into our brunch spot to warm up with coffee and waffles and french toast and other glorious foods.

Also! There were no aches, pains or chafing on this run, which is always an A+ in my book. Overall this run was awesome. It merited a big ol' smiley face in my training journal :)

January runs:
    (12/31: NYE 4 mile race B) )
    1/1: 8.2 trail miles
    1/2: Rest day
    1/3: 5 miles
    1/4: 6.8 miles
    1/5: 6 miles
    1/6: 12 miles
    1/7: 4 miles
    1/8: 9 trail miles
    1/9: 5 miles
    1/10: Rest day
    1/11: 16 miles
    1/12: 8 miles
    1/13: 6.5 miles
    1/14: 5 miles
    1/15: 5 miles
    1/16: 7.5 miles
    1/17: Rest day
    1/18: 9 miles
    1/19: 6 miles
    1/20: 18 miles

January total miles: 138

----

2019 Races
    March 24: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon (Goal: PR)
    April 7: Cherry Blossom 10 Miler (Goal: Sub-75)
    April 28: New Jersey Marathon (Goal: BQ)
    July 6: Finger Lake Fifties 50k (Goal: Finish)

Something I've wondered about - when you go straight from a run to food/visit/whatever, do you bring a partial change of clothes or wet wipes or something like that? I always feel so wet and stinky after a run that I can't imagine going anywhere without a shower and a change! I get that some of this is just me, of course - I've never spent much time at post-race celebrations either so I can shower ASAP, and even around other runners I can get self-conscious when I'm all sweaty.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @butterchop where in Alabama, I'm in Huntsville.

@Scott6255 thinking of you, can't wait to hear all about the marathon!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Long run DONE! 18 big ones this morning, and in the best case scenario for weather considering the forecast. Mostly cloudy (a few times I saw the sun and was quite surprised) and around 40 degrees. The wind didn't pick up until the last couple of miles, so most of the run wasn't affected by wind chill (the wind is now whipping up all sorts of trouble outside). I'm feeling very lucky that it was dry and not too windy for 90% of my run; had I started earlier or later I'd have been running in cold drizzle or in awful wind, neither of which is particularly pleasant.

The best part of the run though was that I had company! I ran the first 8 miles solo to meet two friends of mine who are in town for the weekend. Then the three of us ran 6 miles together, after which one of them took the metro to our end point to get us spots at a brunch place while my other friend and I finished out the last 4 miles and got to go straight into our brunch spot to warm up with coffee and waffles and french toast and other glorious foods.

Also! There were no aches, pains or chafing on this run, which is always an A+ in my book. Overall this run was awesome. It merited a big ol' smiley face in my training journal :)

January runs:
    (12/31: NYE 4 mile race B) )
    1/1: 8.2 trail miles
    1/2: Rest day
    1/3: 5 miles
    1/4: 6.8 miles
    1/5: 6 miles
    1/6: 12 miles
    1/7: 4 miles
    1/8: 9 trail miles
    1/9: 5 miles
    1/10: Rest day
    1/11: 16 miles
    1/12: 8 miles
    1/13: 6.5 miles
    1/14: 5 miles
    1/15: 5 miles
    1/16: 7.5 miles
    1/17: Rest day
    1/18: 9 miles
    1/19: 6 miles
    1/20: 18 miles

January total miles: 138

----

2019 Races
    March 24: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon (Goal: PR)
    April 7: Cherry Blossom 10 Miler (Goal: Sub-75)
    April 28: New Jersey Marathon (Goal: BQ)
    July 6: Finger Lake Fifties 50k (Goal: Finish)

Something I've wondered about - when you go straight from a run to food/visit/whatever, do you bring a partial change of clothes or wet wipes or something like that? I always feel so wet and stinky after a run that I can't imagine going anywhere without a shower and a change! I get that some of this is just me, of course - I've never spent much time at post-race celebrations either so I can shower ASAP, and even around other runners I can get self-conscious when I'm all sweaty.

I've always wondered exactly the same thing, I hesitate to even pop into the shop to buy a bottle of water before going home and showering!
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Congrats on your race!
  • Butterchop
    Butterchop Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    @butterchop where in Alabama, I'm in Huntsville.

@Scott6255 thinking of you, can't wait to hear all about the marathon!

I'm in Dawson, close to Fort Payne. Not too far really about 2 hour drive I think! I almost signed up for a half marathon in Huntsville last year but got lazy with my running.
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom and @Butterchop, I'm also in AL, although further south than you guys. I'm in Auburn. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Quick check-in:
    Was cold (for me) mostly because of the gale force wind in the beginning, but managed to eek out a 4:09:03! Secretly hoping to break 4:00, but happy with that.
    More to follow tomorrow. Thanks for all the well wishes. Goodnight :|

Yay! Well done!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @butterchop 2 hours at the most. I tell people all the time when I retire I’m moving to Fort Payne. Such a pretty town.

@greyparks206 lots of my friends kids go to Auburn.

Congrats @Scott6255. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Great time!