January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »
    @PastorVincent Thank you for that. I don’t plan to stop running, but I will have to take a steep cutback in February through March (as in maybe I will be able to run once a week if I’m lucky) so I’ll use it then to minimize muscle atrophy.

It only took me like a week or two to get it back when it happened to me, but I was MUCH MUCH younger :)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    LadySaton wrote: »

I bought an exercise bike and my husband set it up yesterday and I did an hour on it last night. It definitely got my heart rate up and I was sweating like crazy, but I’m not really sure how much of a workout it was. The resistance I used most of the time was a little less challenge than I wanted, but the next highest was at a point that I could really only push about 5 minutes at a time before having to set it back down. Hopefully it’s hitting different muscles from the running though because that was my main goal with it. I definitely felt it in the tops of my thighs. Today’s run was nice and relaxed, earlier than I would have liked to be out and pre-breakfast, but I needed to get it done and run errands before the snow starts again.

I gave up running for a time due to injury and cycled for 3 seasons. Once I returned to running I noticed I had gained cardiovascular endurance. I don’t remember muscle being weaker or stronger. Currently I bike to help with my running form. If I don’t cycle, I have muscles that quit firing. But that’s me, I have issues. It may or may not spill over into your training as much as it does mine, or maybe it will even more so. I think it’s a good idea. I hate exercise, getting winded.... :wink: of course, you may have to do more to burn the calories you get from running, but cross training is a good thing.

———————————————
    On that note I have a question someone may or may not have the answer too regarding CV endurance. My iron/ RBC is top notch, no idea why but it has moved away from “fine” to “nice”. I don’t know the numbers, you nerds... the hematocrit is ~80 from 40, maybe. I can’t promise that’s the right iron parameter.... (the one they use to discern anemia). Any way, BW is good.

Can I increase my CV endurance by using a high altitude mask? Or how can I give myself that push to gain CV endurance? It’s cold, and I thought nows the time (for me) to focus on it. I know summer running helps, but man does it “suck”. I might be able to make it suck less if I change tactics now, what do I do to increase CV endurance?

ETA google says Yasso 800’s. I’ll try it.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm getting ready to volunteer at a local winter ultramarathon race tonight. It's 40 miles and you can run, bike or ski. My shift is 4am to 1130 am.

As I get ready it occurs to me... I've forgotten how to dress for winter when I'll be standing still. I guess I'll bring twice as much as I think I'll need and store the extra in my truck.

My job is to help at the finish line and to help pack up when it's over.

Sounds like a great time to bring fire...
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have a group gear question. Rain jacket suggestions? From the inexpensive to the wahooo, let me hear 'em.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,489 Member
    Options
    I have a group gear question. Rain jacket suggestions? From the inexpensive to the wahooo, let me hear 'em.

How much do you sweat? I don't bother with a rain jacket because I'd get just as wet from my sweat. I do wear a Patagonia Houdini from time to time if it's a downpour but it only delays the inevitable.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 yeah I have no doubt I’ll have to work longer to burn the same calories on a stationary bike, and I’ve grown to like how quickly I can earn some extra calories with running. I’ve been allowing myself 100 calories for each mile I run and 50 for walking miles (which has kept me pretty well on track with a pound weekly loss) so I can get 300 in just over a half hour of running, which is fab because I like to snack. 🤣 I only gave myself 200 for the whole hour I did last night on the bike because it didn’t feel nearly the intensity as carrying my whole self around for miles on end.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for the men's version but this jacket is one of my favorite things:

https://www.decathlon.com/products/womens-running-jacket-kalenji-kiprun-evolutiv?adept-product=womens-running-jacket-kalenji-kiprun-evolutiv&adept_product_id=womens-running-jacket-kalenji-kiprun-evolutiv&source=search

It has zippered vents, which mostly solve the problem of sweat collecting on the inside. It's loose enough to allow multiple layers underneath which allow it to work from chilly to cold, and it has built in optional buff, flip mittens, and a watch window!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,058 Member
    Options
    I can't vouch for the men's version but this jacket is one of my favorite things:

https://www.decathlon.com/products/womens-running-jacket-kalenji-kiprun-evolutiv?adept-product=womens-running-jacket-kalenji-kiprun-evolutiv&adept_product_id=womens-running-jacket-kalenji-kiprun-evolutiv&source=search

It has zippered vents, which mostly solve the problem of sweat collecting on the inside. It's loose enough to allow multiple layers underneath which allow it to work from chilly to cold, and it has built in optional buff, flip mittens, and a watch window!

That looks awesome! I have officially added it to my list of gear I need. I actually don’t have much cold weather or rain gear, so it looks like a versatile addition.