January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless I will have to take a good photo of the medal. I did a quick selfie in the car after but was too tired to take any later. I love the medal and it's why I decided to run this one.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep @louubelle16 @girlinahat @eleanorhawkins @rheddmobile and anyone else I missed...

Thanks for the notes on Decathlon! I fully agree UA is overpriced, but its options are slim to compete with it around these parts. I am looking for a mid layer to go over my UA Cold Gear compression shirt for days like today when the thermometer registers 2F (-17C). I have a great top layer, my North Face Windwall (talk about pricey!!) but need a good midlayer.

Can you recommend something form their line? I really need it to wick. That is the problem with my current 1/4 zip that I used to use. It does not wick, so I get chaffing bad.

Thanks!

@PastorVincent Think the shirt I have is the same as the one the link was posted for. To be honest, my brain can't even compute the level of cold you're talking about. However, I would assume the temperature mentioned on the website would be a suggestion if you intended only wearing that one shirt and if you're layering that should work?
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep @louubelle16 @girlinahat @eleanorhawkins @rheddmobile and anyone else I missed...

Thanks for the notes on Decathlon! I fully agree UA is overpriced, but its options are slim to compete with it around these parts. I am looking for a mid layer to go over my UA Cold Gear compression shirt for days like today when the thermometer registers 2F (-17C). I have a great top layer, my North Face Windwall (talk about pricey!!) but need a good midlayer.

Can you recommend something form their line? I really need it to wick. That is the problem with my current 1/4 zip that I used to use. It does not wick, so I get chaffing bad.

Thanks!

Having never run in anything colder than -3C courtesy of the UK climate, I wouldn’t know what to recommend on that front, sorry! However, I do know that everything I’ve bought from their running-specific range (note not their more general fitness/gym range which, as seems industry-standard these days, is more about fashion than practicality) is as good at wicking as any of my Nike tops. I have lots of Nike tops to compare, I live 4 miles from a Nike factory outlet, (my poor bank balance :sweat_smile:) but I couldn’t tell you how they compare to UA, as I only wear their sports bras.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Having never run in anything colder than -3C courtesy of the UK climate, I wouldn’t know what to recommend on that front, sorry! However, I do know that everything I’ve bought from their running-specific range (note not their more general fitness/gym range which, as seems industry-standard these days, is more about fashion than practicality) is as good at wicking as any of my Nike tops. I have lots of Nike tops to compare, I live 4 miles from a Nike factory outlet, (my poor bank balance :sweat_smile:) but I couldn’t tell you how they compare to UA, as I only wear their sports bras.

I suspect that UA and Nike are very similar, I just used to get better deals on UA stuff, but I no longer have access to those deals so need a new way to save some cash :)

Their web site has lots of errors on it, like this one:

x324ovc56yd3.png

And bigger with more details that clearly show the "t-shirt" is labeled "warm"
    was5l8izfu5j.png

:lol:
    I am NOT running outside in 59 Celius, with any pullover on that is for sure. :dizzy:

So that is making it hard to shop! :neutral:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @almostsuperpowered It's -5C in Edmonton so clearly you live in the wrong part of Canada :P
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @workaholic_nurse It is a nice trail! Houses on the north side, farmer's fields (and construction) on the south. Plus some green space. The construction fencing was around a school field that backs on to the path.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I late night at our the new steak & whiskey restaurant Saturday night meant I was later than I wanted getting out Sunday morning and it had warmed up considerably to 1F/-17C with a -10F/-23C windchill on a bright sunny day. It was 10F colder than the day before so I added a top layer. I wore regular road shoes, Feetures marino wool blend knee high socks, SmartWool tights, a tight short sleeve shirt, a thin long sleeve shirt a mid weight layer, topped with a wind layer. It was one layer too much. On my head was a Nathan bean, pulled low to meet my sunglasses, with a buff covering the bottom part of my ears and going across my face, just below my nose. On my hands were thin Head running gloves from Costco, with my new Turtle Fur golf mitts over those. The Turtle Fur mitts are thicker and better than the pair I'd been recommending, but they're also more expensive.

Once I warmed up my buff was pulled down around my neck, my mitts were pulled back off my hands, and my jacket and top layer were unzipped and I was still sweating. I should not have had that thin long sleeve layer.

I opted to run the 1.6 mile paved trail around a pond near our house. Three times around the pond, plus a mile there and a mile back, and a little extra at the end totaled over 8 miles for Kody & I. I did take a few short walking breaks here and there to assess my foot and and ankle and to get a short rest when my HR started climbing.

I forgot to roll out my right calf the night before so I had some tightness on the side of my ankle, but not as bad as it had been earlier last week. I took it easy, enjoyed the beautiful weather and soon it mostly worked itself out. I wasn't sure if I'd make it that third loop but we did without too much strain. Had I gone straight home from the pond it would have been 7 miles but I decided to turn and add a 1 mile loop at the end, then added another quarter mile loop after that. The run felt AWESOME and I had that pain in my legs that I get when I go for a long run, which is a good pain!

I did stop at the pond once for some photos to capture our matching ice beards. I wanted to get the pond in the background but it was just a struggle to get something with Kody looking at the phone. He and I lazed around quite a bit the rest of the day.
    5hisz1ddmtud.jpg
    s6qksjoqj5cq.jpg
    rfj6c5uphngu.jpg

lhdlfyx7sden.jpg

2019 Races

02/23/2019 - Psycho Wyco 20M - Kansas City, KS
    04/13/2019 - Zumbro Endurance Run - Theilman, MN - Volunteer/Pace
    04/27/2019 - Tillamook Burn 50M - Tillamook Forest, OR
    05/18/2019 - Superior Spring 50K - Lutsen, MN
    06/22/2019 - Dan Patch 5K Pace - Savage, MN (Tentative)
    or
    06/22/2019 - Circle of Life 10K - Lake City, MN (Tentative)
    07/04/2019 - Red Wing 5K - Red Wing, MN (Tentative)
    07/13/2019 - Eugene Curnow Trail Marathon - Carlton, MN
    07/27/2019 - Wabasha River Run 10K - Wabasha, MN (Tentative)
    09/14/2019 - Outrun Homelessness 5K - Savage, MN
    09/21/2019 - Surly Loppet Trail HM
    10/12/2019 - Big Woods Run Trail HM - Nerstrand, MN
    10/20/2019 - Surf the Murph (50k or 50M) (Tentative)
    10/26/2019 - Kansas Rails to Trails 100K (Tentative)
    12/07/2019 - Alternate Chili 10M - KCK

Love the shot of him sticking his tongue out, PRICELESS :p
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »
    January Goal: Do more than last month

1/1 1.25
    1/2 2.20
    1/3 rest
    1/4 carb loading dinner pre relay to remember @keeprunningfatboy
    1/5 7.75
    1/6 1.35
    1/7 2.13
    1/8 snorkel 2.5 hours
    1/9 2.55
    1/10 5.00
    1/11 3.15
    1/12 rest
    1/13 3.30
    1/14 rest
    1/15 life
    1/16 4.43
    1/17 2.00
    1/18 2.90
    1/19 stuff
    1/20 2.65 We had an unheard of phenomena on the Hamakua coast of Hawaii: a nearly cloudless evening in January (read: rainy season), thus allowing great eclipse viewing
    :
    o25z7dir0byw.jpg
    69atu7v9wslo.jpg
    j4ns5pl72bic.jpg
    xcl12u2eo2u4.jpg
    z4gsjpha3n97.jpg
    61c3992ia8lk.jpg

Total: 40.66

Ticker is my goal for 2019 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Those are some great eclipse pics. Thanks for sharing.