January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I think this has probably been cross posted and shared with every Social Media Running group but I couldn't resist dropping it here since it is so appropriate to this group.

dl6df9hk05py.jpg

First I have seen this. This is great. Gonna steal it.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    Missed a lot over the weekend.
    @orphia so impressed and proud of you for being a run leader!
    Congrats @debrakgoogins on your 5K! You did awesome!!
    Congrats @katharmonic on your 'Chilly' 5K. That is some cold running. I would have hated that, but you did great!
    @juliet3455 love the picture and quote!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    For interested parties:

Applications for the NYC Marathon start tomorrow!

I am trying my luck at the lottery. The likelihood of me running a qualifying time in Miami is less than a snowballs chance in the 7th level of hell during a heat wave. LOL

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Actually, the time qualifying window for the 2019 NYC Marathon was calendar 2018. At this point, either you ran a qualifying time or you didn't. Either it was in one of the NYRR sanctioned races that have a guaranteed entry attached, or it was in a non-NYRR race and you're eligible for one of a "limited number" of slots for non-NYRR time qualifiers.

I know this off the top of my head because I time qualified for the 2019 NYC Marathon at the 2018 Boston Marathon, the 2018 Wineglass Marathon, and 3 of the 4 half marathons I ran in 2018. Plan A is to be on the site as soon as I can after it opens claiming qualification based on Wineglass. Then I see if I'm fast enough at the keyboard; if not, I get dumped into the lottery with everyone else.

Looks like 15% of the lottery entrants got lucky in 2018. I don't think I'm particularly lucky in games of pure chance; if anything, I'm less lucky than average.

@MobyCarp I did not come close to a qualified time in 2018 and I don’t anticipate coming close in 2019.

I am also not particularly lucky. Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)...

I grew up outside of NYC and would love to experience the city in that way. If it happens, wonderful. If it doesn’t, I will move onto the next bucket list race (without a qualifying time).

Good luck! I am sure you will kick major butt at the NYCM :smile:

A lady who works with my mum entered the lottery for Boston 2019 and got in! I'm unbelievably jealous. A kiwi running the BM on lottery!

No lottery for Boston is available to US citizens. OTOH, a Kiwi will have substantially larger travel costs to run Boston than I will.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins and @katharmonic Congrats on your 5k's!

@MobyCarp server overload?

@7lenny7 That looks like so much fun!

@juliet3455 Great pic!

@jesslobbett Congrats on the Week 3 completion!

@Elise4270 I'm in for Hawaii in 2020! Just talked the wife into it...

Thank you all for the great jacket suggestions/insight into why you don't wear one. I understand the being wet from sweat anyways but when the rain is soooooo cold coupled with the wind it would be nice to have that extra layer.

14 days on the run and counting.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    For interested parties:

Applications for the NYC Marathon start tomorrow!

I am trying my luck at the lottery. The likelihood of me running a qualifying time in Miami is less than a snowballs chance in the 7th level of hell during a heat wave. LOL

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Actually, the time qualifying window for the 2019 NYC Marathon was calendar 2018. At this point, either you ran a qualifying time or you didn't. Either it was in one of the NYRR sanctioned races that have a guaranteed entry attached, or it was in a non-NYRR race and you're eligible for one of a "limited number" of slots for non-NYRR time qualifiers.

I know this off the top of my head because I time qualified for the 2019 NYC Marathon at the 2018 Boston Marathon, the 2018 Wineglass Marathon, and 3 of the 4 half marathons I ran in 2018. Plan A is to be on the site as soon as I can after it opens claiming qualification based on Wineglass. Then I see if I'm fast enough at the keyboard; if not, I get dumped into the lottery with everyone else.

Looks like 15% of the lottery entrants got lucky in 2018. I don't think I'm particularly lucky in games of pure chance; if anything, I'm less lucky than average.

@MobyCarp I did not come close to a qualified time in 2018 and I don’t anticipate coming close in 2019.

I am also not particularly lucky. Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)...

I grew up outside of NYC and would love to experience the city in that way. If it happens, wonderful. If it doesn’t, I will move onto the next bucket list race (without a qualifying time).

Good luck! I am sure you will kick major butt at the NYCM :smile:

A lady who works with my mum entered the lottery for Boston 2019 and got in! I'm unbelievably jealous. A kiwi running the BM on lottery!

No lottery for Boston is available to US citizens. OTOH, a Kiwi will have substantially larger travel costs to run Boston than I will.

It's not as bad now we have a direct flight to Chicago but yeah its pretty bad lol. I'd totally figure it out if I got to run Boston though. Soooo cool