• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That race sounds so neat!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    3 miles hardly seems worth the trouble. Just started feeling relaxed when I had to stop. But taper I must.

exercise.png

A semi-related running question: back in November I reserved a hotel room through the Houston marathon site, and requested late check-out, as I know I will getting back after normal checkout time (usually like 10am). Got a confirmation, but didn't see anything about late check-out. Kept trying to contact them to verify, but never got a response. Finally got through today and they said it had to be requested at check-in, and depends on availability. Uh, Ok.
    What am I supposed to do with all my luggage and crap if I have to check out at 5:30am on my way to the marathon? I won't have a car (specifically got the hotel because it is less than a mile from the start line). Anyone had to deal with that before?

@Scott6255 I’ve had hotels hold my luggage as well. The sucky part about no late check-out is no post-race shower before traveling. I had a friend once bribe a maid to let her use the hotel gym shower.

I have asked and have gotten full access to gym/etc after check out also. Totally up to who you get at the desk, but I have not had a problem yet.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    For interested parties:

Applications for the NYC Marathon start tomorrow!

I am trying my luck at the lottery. The likelihood of me running a qualifying time in Miami is less than a snowballs chance in the 7th level of hell during a heat wave. LOL

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Actually, the time qualifying window for the 2019 NYC Marathon was calendar 2018. At this point, either you ran a qualifying time or you didn't. Either it was in one of the NYRR sanctioned races that have a guaranteed entry attached, or it was in a non-NYRR race and you're eligible for one of a "limited number" of slots for non-NYRR time qualifiers.

I know this off the top of my head because I time qualified for the 2019 NYC Marathon at the 2018 Boston Marathon, the 2018 Wineglass Marathon, and 3 of the 4 half marathons I ran in 2018. Plan A is to be on the site as soon as I can after it opens claiming qualification based on Wineglass. Then I see if I'm fast enough at the keyboard; if not, I get dumped into the lottery with everyone else.

Looks like 15% of the lottery entrants got lucky in 2018. I don't think I'm particularly lucky in games of pure chance; if anything, I'm less lucky than average.

@MobyCarp I did not come close to a qualified time in 2018 and I don’t anticipate coming close in 2019.

I am also not particularly lucky. Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be)...

I grew up outside of NYC and would love to experience the city in that way. If it happens, wonderful. If it doesn’t, I will move onto the next bucket list race (without a qualifying time).

Good luck! I am sure you will kick major butt at the NYCM :smile:

A lady who works with my mum entered the lottery for Boston 2019 and got in! I'm unbelievably jealous. A kiwi running the BM on lottery!

No lottery for Boston is available to US citizens. OTOH, a Kiwi will have substantially larger travel costs to run Boston than I will.

You're going to hate this, but as a Kiwi, I can buy a marathon entry into Boston, NY, London, Paris, Berlin, any of them, no need for a qualifying time, just have to pay for the "tour" package - flights, 4 nights accommodation, and entry fee. Easy if you have the funds.

@avidkeo, go to http://www.marathontours.co.nz

Awww man thats so cool!! though there's a part of me that would rather qualify - a bit more prestigious I guess? when did I turn into a snob. Plus with jetlag, who wants just 4 days in the states, pass!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Wow! @rheddmobile that is quite a drop!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.... I think it's close enough. Let's see how this goes. I'll report back in an hour.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I am just going to miss the 80km mark in the Lululemon challenge on Strava. Unless I do 7km tomorrow but I'm only scheduled for 2-4 miles, maybe I stretch it a bit.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    For interested parties:

I am trying my luck at the lottery. The likelihood of me running a qualifying time in Miami is less than a snowballs chance in the 7th level of hell during a heat wave. LOL

https://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/run-in-2019/2019-tcs-new-york-city-marathon-drawing

Actually, the time qualifying window for the 2019 NYC Marathon was calendar 2018. At this point, either you ran a qualifying time or you didn't. Either it was in one of the NYRR sanctioned races that have a guaranteed entry attached, or it was in a non-NYRR race and you're eligible for one of a "limited number" of slots for non-NYRR time qualifiers.

I know this off the top of my head because I time qualified for the 2019 NYC Marathon at the 2018 Boston Marathon, the 2018 Wineglass Marathon, and 3 of the 4 half marathons I ran in 2018. Plan A is to be on the site as soon as I can after it opens claiming qualification based on Wineglass. Then I see if I'm fast enough at the keyboard; if not, I get dumped into the lottery with everyone else.

Looks like 15% of the lottery entrants got lucky in 2018. I don't think I'm particularly lucky in games of pure chance; if anything, I'm less lucky than average.

@MobyCarp I did not come close to a qualified time in 2018 and I don’t anticipate coming close in 2019.

I grew up outside of NYC and would love to experience the city in that way. If it happens, wonderful. If it doesn’t, I will move onto the next bucket list race (without a qualifying time).

A lady who works with my mum entered the lottery for Boston 2019 and got in! I'm unbelievably jealous. A kiwi running the BM on lottery!

No lottery for Boston is available to US citizens. OTOH, a Kiwi will have substantially larger travel costs to run Boston than I will.

You're going to hate this, but as a Kiwi, I can buy a marathon entry into Boston, NY, London, Paris, Berlin, any of them, no need for a qualifying time, just have to pay for the "tour" package - flights, 4 nights accommodation, and entry fee. Easy if you have the funds.

Awww man thats so cool!! though there's a part of me that would rather qualify - a bit more prestigious I guess? when did I turn into a snob. Plus with jetlag, who wants just 4 days in the states, pass!!

Have you seen the qualifying times for Boston?? It's like 3:35 (guessing your age here), which is pretty quick. Also, I'm sure you can add extra days onto your trip (and throw in a few more races!!)
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    For interested parties:

Have you seen the qualifying times for Boston?? It's like 3:35 (guessing your age here), which is pretty quick. Also, I'm sure you can add extra days onto your trip (and throw in a few more races!!)

Oh never thought I'd actually be able to qualify lol. Definitely have to add more days, and more races!