January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Ladies who have used the Decathalon stuff (thanks @pastorvincent i think). They are in Australia and post to NZ (woo hoo). Those who have used the running pants, how do you find them? I see they mostly have draw strings and I HATE them usually cause I find they fit too loose around the waist unless I use the drawstring, and then they cut in cause I need to do them fairly firmly to get them to stay up. How do you find that aspect of things?

I ordered a pair of these and will report back on the drawstring situation. I'm hoping that like @_nikkiwolf_ mentioned the wide waistband makes the drawstring unnecessary. I do love me a wide waistband.

I have the shorts version of those tights and really like them. The drawstring isn't noticeable to me (it's made of a stretchy fabric so feels like the rest of the shorts) and I don't think I've ever even adjusted it. But on me the shorts are tight enough that a drawstring isn't necessary. The zipper pocket on the back, though, is just plain awesome.
    But speaking of their shorts, what I didn't like are the combo ones with a loose layer over tights. You really have to watch where the seams are if you're going to be doing any long runs, lesson learned.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    @7lenny7 How's the repaired toe tendon while running and the next day?

@Orphia thanks for asking!

My tendon is doing pretty good, I think. During my first couple of runs there was enough pain that I thought about scheduling a visit with the surgeon, just to make sure it wasn't unusual. The pain seem to be in the spot of the initial rupture, not at the repair, which is about 2 cm further down the foot. The amount of pain, and the frequency with which I feel it, has been decreasing, however, so I'm not as concerned. Last night I went for a 7 mile run and felt it a few times in the first mile or two, then maybe a couple of times during the rest of my run. My theory is that it's random adhesions which are coming loose as I run. I may try doing some targeted massage of that area.

The bigger issue has been a tightness of the tendon on the inside of my foot, going from the lower leg to the inside of my heel bone. A longer warm up seems to help, and foam rolling my hamstring and calf seem to help, I just need to remember to actually do it.

Call me a worrier (I am) but I'm concerned you can't feel it because you're running a lot and the happy hormones are masking the pain. #beentheredonethat

That's why I was also wondering how it is on your rest days, and how many of those you have.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Last night was, for me, the perfect running temperature. 18F/-8C with low wind. At this temp I can easily keep cool, I have no chance of cold feet, and I don't need to wear heavy gloves. With the nearly full moon it would have been a fantastic night to run trails without a headlamp, but alas...10 more days before I can get back on the trails.

Kody & I made it 7 miles as I ran my happy face route. I was surprised my ice beard was as good as it was, with the temp that high. My tendon repair site felt pretty good, it only made itself known a few times. Overall the pain is decreasing. My concerning was a tendon on the inside of my heel. I need to massage it and roll out my calf on a regular basis.

Kody was rather frisky last night. Normally he runs right by my side at a perfect heel, except when he stops to do his business. Last night he ran ahead of me quite a bit, which I enjoyed because I like to watching him run. He's a happy dog lately.
    pdynai775rfc.jpg

t8nwy7xut567.jpg

Great happy face! I think it needs an ice beard, though. Is there any way you can make a couple out & backs to the water there across from the school?

@greenolivetree get the table if it's at all possible. Mine paid for itself in just a month of not needing to go to the chiropractor. I don't need it much anymore, but my husband uses it, and it does fold up so we can put it in the closet.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    My mini-me illustrating pretty much what I’ve been doing all week (my waistline is starting to resemble hers too as a consequence!).
    ne2hc6yy8kzm.jpeg

Last night I attempted some running - I’m here alone with the children so, once they were asleep, I did some speed repeats - 12x250 then a 900m cool down. Pushed it a bit hard and my calf is telling me about it today. Longer and slower would have been better but I couldn’t leave the kids by themselves.

Beautiful! Where abouts are you holidaying?