almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    guys why is it snowing so much
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    You could always bring your own bacon. I have a 10 pound pork belly thawing out and will start curing it this weekend. There's nothing better than home cured and smoked bacon in the middle of a long trail run.

i'm gonna come visit this weekend

It takes 5 days to cure. Better wait until next weekend when I smoke it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 400 posts behind. Oh well :) I ran 30 mins three times last week then last night I started the Bridge to 10k program. So that was four 10 min runs with 1 min walk breaks in between. I struggled through the whole thing. Usually at least once a week my whole run is just terrible and I feel like crap. Ha. My HR was higher than it's been despite adding in the walk breaks and the walk breaks honestly just felt pointless. I'm contemplating just adding 5 mins each week to my run instead of doing the walk break thing in the 10k program???

Also having a lot of upper back and neck pain and my neck starts to burn like hell after about 20-25 min running. But I refuse to miss a run because I wouldn't be so in pain if I was in better shape? LOL

double check you are running with relaxed shoulders and neck. it is not uncommon for runners to get pain there. think loosy goosy. relax the jaw, the neck, the shoulders.

@7lenny7 but i have a long weekend this weekend :disappointed:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Well I'm 400 posts behind. Oh well :) I ran 30 mins three times last week then last night I started the Bridge to 10k program. So that was four 10 min runs with 1 min walk breaks in between. I struggled through the whole thing. Usually at least once a week my whole run is just terrible and I feel like crap. Ha. My HR was higher than it's been despite adding in the walk breaks and the walk breaks honestly just felt pointless. I'm contemplating just adding 5 mins each week to my run instead of doing the walk break thing in the 10k program???

Also having a lot of upper back and neck pain and my neck starts to burn like hell after about 20-25 min running. But I refuse to miss a run because I wouldn't be so in pain if I was in better shape? LOL

*hugs* Don't worry about falling behind on the thread. Per your runs, I don't recall where you are experience-wise, but I know that the last couple of times that I was consistently struggling I was able to fix it by slowing down. Like, to the point where it felt like I was just barely shuffling my feet and could probably walk faster. It felt awkward at first but it really did help. I never did a formal program with walk breaks personally - they work for lots of people but that doesn't mean they're the only thing that work. I just slowed down, walked when I absolutely felt that I had to, and kept increasing my time and distance a little bit at a time.

That said, I started by walking until I could walk for a half hour or more without much effort, and then I was jogging less than a block at a time and stopping whenever anything hurt. I don't believe for a second that you need to be in pain in order to get in shape. It sounds like your body might not be ready to be running for 20-25 minutes - can you walk that long without pain? Is it an effort? There's nothing wrong with starting small!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

double check you are running with relaxed shoulders and neck. it is not uncommon for runners to get pain there. think loosy goosy. relax the jaw, the neck, the shoulders.

@7lenny7 but i have a long weekend this weekend :disappointed:

Yes, definitely trying to do that. My back pain is 24/7 though. It's bad posture and my desk job. This is the worst flare up I've had in a long time. I have found over the past 10 years that certain exercises basically eliminate the pain. I just need to do it. LOL I am trying. It feels like I need somebody to wring my spine like a wet towel and crack every vertebrae. It also feels like I need to hang upside down to relieve the pressure. I almost got an inversion table about a year ago but then I felt better because of the exercises so I didn't buy it.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Last night was, for me, the perfect running temperature. 18F/-8C with low wind. At this temp I can easily keep cool, I have no chance of cold feet, and I don't need to wear heavy gloves. With the nearly full moon it would have been a fantastic night to run trails without a headlamp, but alas...10 more days before I can get back on the trails.

Kody & I made it 7 miles as I ran my happy face route. I was surprised my ice beard was as good as it was, with the temp that high. My tendon repair site felt pretty good, it only made itself known a few times. Overall the pain is decreasing. My concerning was a tendon on the inside of my heel. I need to massage it and roll out my calf on a regular basis.

Kody was rather frisky last night. Normally he runs right by my side at a perfect heel, except when he stops to do his business. Last night he ran ahead of me quite a bit, which I enjoyed because I like to watching him run. He's a happy dog lately.
    pdynai775rfc.jpg

t8nwy7xut567.jpg

I bet he's happy to be back out with his person!
  • greenolivetree
    Options

*hugs* Don't worry about falling behind on the thread. Per your runs, I don't recall where you are experience-wise, but I know that the last couple of times that I was consistently struggling I was able to fix it by slowing down. Like, to the point where it felt like I was just barely shuffling my feet and could probably walk faster. It felt awkward at first but it really did help. I never did a formal program with walk breaks personally - they work for lots of people but that doesn't mean they're the only thing that work. I just slowed down, walked when I absolutely felt that I had to, and kept increasing my time and distance a little bit at a time.

That said, I started by walking until I could walk for a half hour or more without much effort, and then I was jogging less than a block at a time and stopping whenever anything hurt. I don't believe for a second that you need to be in pain in order to get in shape. It sounds like your body might not be ready to be running for 20-25 minutes - can you walk that long without pain? Is it an effort? There's nothing wrong with starting small!

Over the past few weeks of finishing C25K I slowed down to 3.5mph running. I started out running 4.5-5.0 on the treadmill. So I don't think I can slow down anymore. My back pain is a long term thing and it always gets much better if I take a week off work. Dang desk job. Haha. Exercising with one of those stretchy bands REALLY helps. I just need to do it.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

Just 400? I like the idea of adding time rather than distance. Thats my go-to. I wonder if a good neck massage is in order. I have this constant crick that probably no-good. I have some nsaid cream that was for my hip that works well. Good luck with it. I'm all for PT visits, so one to see whats going on might me worth it.

ETA I found the inversion table worth it. My PCP said he has a friend (doctor) that avoided surger with regular use.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 That is indeed a fine ice beard!!! I especially like how you get it up toward your ears.
  • greenolivetree
    Options
    @elise4270 Good luck at the appt. A neck massage sounds so good. Unfortunately I don't like to be touched. :D I still have a gift card from my MIL to Academy that I was supposed to use for the inversion table. One thing that feels really good is just lying flat on the floor. I'm wearing matching socks, they are blue and white stripes :)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    @elise4270 Good luck at the appt. A neck massage sounds so good. Unfortunately I don't like to be touched. :D I still have a gift card from my MIL to Academy that I was supposed to use for the inversion table. One thing that feels really good is just lying flat on the floor. I'm wearing matching socks, they are blue and white stripes :)

Sounds like time to buy that inversion table! I've also struggled with keeping up with preventative exercises - I just joined a gym that offers a weekend yoga class but haven't made it yet...

@Elise4270: I just changed into my grey (with blue accents) WrightSocks in anticipation of heading to the gym in a half hour and then running home. They're quarter socks, which is maybe my favorite length of sock, but weirdly hard to find!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq i like quarter length socks.

@greenolivetree i dont like being touched either. Usually the pain is bad enough i give in. So consider it a necessary evil. In the summer i like to lay on the concrete in the front. I had one nosey neighbor stop and ask if i was ok. Duh. Im on warm cement, of course I'm okay.

Im waiting on xrays.... *Giggle"