January 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @eleanorhawkins thanks for mentioning that DOMS causes water retention. I did not know that, and given today is the first day I could wolk properly so it's probably that which caused the scales to go up. I feel so much better knowing that.

Stupid annoying scales lol

Another thing to watch out for is very long <for you - which may or may not be long for someone else> runs will often cause short term weight gain. Your body is like "Oh is that how its gonna be? Well, then I will just stockpile some water for the next time then!"

Our bodies are pretty darn good at adjusting our composition and the like on the fly to match our lifestyles. Constant scale watching just makes us panic which is why many "gurus," say not to weigh yourself every day despite the fact most of us will do just that when we are actively seeking to loose :)

The only thing about that (not weighing every day) that doesn't make sense to me is that you don't see the minor daily fluctuations and therefore might think that your weekly weigh-in is where you're actually at, rather than just a result of water weight from one hard workout. To me, more data points = a more accurate overall picture.

@polskagirl01 you're exactly right. There's nothing wrong with weighing yourself everyday but it does help one's sanity to know what might trigger a spike in weight, such as a long run or an increase in amount of carbs consumed (carbs hold water so if you increase carb intake you increase water weight. Conversely, if you decrease your daily carbs you'll see a weight drop because you're losing some water weight)
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent - Please tell me more about your Garmin foot Pod. I think I need to get one of these. I agree, my treadmill doesn’t seem to be accurate. Even though I just got a new treadmill the same speed on both the old and the new treadmills seem vastly different. I would love to have another method to measure my distance, that way at least I could average it out, if nothing else.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    msarobix wrote: »
    @PastorVincent - Please tell me more about your Garmin foot Pod. I think I need to get one of these. I agree, my treadmill doesn’t seem to be accurate. Even though I just got a new treadmill the same speed on both the old and the new treadmills seem vastly different. I would love to have another method to measure my distance, that way at least I could average it out, if nothing else.

Not much to say, I have this:

0t0vd6g7ktq6.jpg
    Which was like $50 on Amazon

Once I manually calibrated it, it works great. They have a "running dynamics pod" too that goes on your waist and measures more, but I like how I clip this on my shoes and forget it exists. It just does its thing. WIth the Running Dynamics Pod, you need to remember to put it on and take it off before/after a run. I do not need more stuff to worry about.

Since buying and calibrating it the only time I have touched it was to move to new shoes and replace the battery once.

DC Rainmaker has a post about how to calibrate the Gramin footpod yourself (the automagic calibration does not work well, IME):

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2011/06/garmin-ant-footpod-calibration-tool.html

Ask any questions, but there really is not much to say. It just does its thing :) For non-treadmill runs, it adds stuff like stride rate, and etc. I usually do not look at that data though. I have worn it in all weather, and it has been submerged when my foot has landed in puddles. Still fine.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Thanks for the info on the pod, I will check it out.
  • LadySaton
    LadySaton Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins I hear ya on most of those things! I recommend the Zombies, Run! app.... combines story AND music. In fact it was probably the main thing responsible for me starting to run regularly, wanting to know what would happen next had me getting out there more and more often.
    I found the best way to combat that feeling cold after a run thing in the winter is hot coffee and a hot shower as quickly as possible when I get home.
    In other news, I'm toying with the idea of signing up to volunteer at the HM I had to pull out of. At least I would get to sort of join in, and get a T-shirt and baseball cap for my troubles. Not sure whether I'd be cheering people on and handing them water though or muttering under my breath in jealousy... Will think about it.
    I wish I could use the Zombies, Run! app without bringing my phone along with me. It sounds so fun, but I prefer to run with just my watch. I have yet to find a truly comfortable way to have my phone on me during a run. I do listen to a zombie podcast instead of music on some of my outings though. 🤣