Options

Replies

• MHarper522
    MHarper522 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    MHarper522 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Elite athletes like Michael Phelps have said their burn during training is max 15 cal/min so I doubt most of us are going to exceed that.

Calorie burn in cardio activities varies a lot by your weight, as well as intensity. While a lot of us will never be able to match the intensity of an athlete, a lot of us on MPH are heavier than those same athletes which means more calories for the same level or lower level of effort.

Which is true.. but I doubt that most of us would manage to reach the intensity of an athlete either.

I mean, I'm sure that 1000 calories an hour is possible, but actually running at an incline (and probably being over 200 pounds)... Ellipticals overestimate calories by quite a bit, as you don't actually propel your body weight, as it's completely supported by the machine.

I wasn't referring to the 1000cal/hr at all, since I know nothing about OP's stats and elliptical displays are notoriouly BS. I was literally just talking about the 15cal/min - someone who has an excess of 50-100 or more pounds, as do a lot of people on MFP would not have to match an athlete intensity to match that burn per minute. But they also wouldn't be able to go as long as an athlete could, so they're unlikely to reach the same total burn.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Elite athletes like Michael Phelps have said their burn during training is max 15 cal/min so I doubt most of us are going to exceed that.

Calorie burn in cardio activities varies a lot by your weight, as well as intensity. While a lot of us will never be able to match the intensity of an athlete, a lot of us on MPH are heavier than those same athletes which means more calories for the same level or lower level of effort.

For a lot of kinds of exercise your weight has little effect on your calories. Biking, rowing, etc, aren't weight bearing. Bench pressing 200 lbs doesn't require more energy from s 300 pound person than a 180 pounder.

But walking and running for sure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options

For a lot of kinds of exercise your weight has little effect on your calories. Biking, rowing, etc, aren't weight bearing. Bench pressing 200 lbs doesn't require more energy from s 300 pound person than a 180 pounder.

Rowing boats is weight bearing. Machines are a little bit, if you're doing it right: You unweight the seat and most of the body weight goes between feet and handle; plus you're moving your body through space on the rail (less so, perhaps, if the rowing machine's on slides or a C2 dynamic).

I would've thought moving a 250 pound cyclist uphill would be more work than moving a 100 pound cyclist up the same hill, too . . . but I'm not a cyclist. Stationary bike, not so much difference, for sure.

I agree with your main point, though: Body weight is a factor in activities where you're moving that body weight, not when you're not.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Thanks for keeping me honest!

I've been told that weight is only a small handicap on the water, it makes your boat sit lower and have more friction. Thanks for explain the technique, it helps me appreciate that there's more to it than it looks or than you'd think.

You're right about hills too. I should have qualified what I was saying. On flat ground the bike bears your weight as you sit; you stand occasionally but it's much rarer than in a spin class.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I was a raft guide out west. A lot of times I would do oar boats, where the guide sits in a rowing frame in the middle of the raft. I worked for an outfitter who used the old style rafts without floating floors. They took on water and had to be bailed between rapids. In a lot of the rapids I had to go over one drop and move across the current before the next one which was only a few yards down stream. I had up to 8 passengers on a 17' raft partially full of water from the wave at the bottom of the first drop. For several strokes in a row, my butt would only tough the seat between strokes. We called that standing on the oars. Body weight definitely was part of that equation.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Rowing boats is weight bearing. Machines are a little bit, if you're doing it right: You unweight the seat and most of the body weight goes between feet and handle; plus you're moving your body through space on the rail (less so, perhaps, if the rowing machine's on slides or a C2 dynamic).

I would've thought moving a 250 pound cyclist uphill would be more work than moving a 100 pound cyclist up the same hill, too . . . but I'm not a cyclist. Stationary bike, not so much difference, for sure.

I agree with your main point, though: Body weight is a factor in activities where you're moving that body weight, not when you're not.

I think at least part of what NorthCascades was trying to get at is, given an average number of watts over the course of a ride, someone weighing 150lbs will have burned the same amount of calories as someone weighing 250lbs.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    OP, if you're eating your calories back, I would eat at the most half of those back.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I think at least part of what NorthCascades was trying to get at is, given an average number of watts over the course of a ride, someone weighing 150lbs will have burned the same amount of calories as someone weighing 250lbs.

That would be true of watts . . . but the post he was responding to was in terms of calories per minute.

BTW: I think bodyweight must count as a factor in work anytime one's power moves one's body through space, whether vertically or horizontally, whether standing or not. How much it matters may depend on position and nature of the movements/mechanical advantage.

Just as part of the thought fodder: I expected slower machine splits and no change in boat speed with weight loss. What I got was the same machine splits (more competitive as a lightweight: yay! ;) ), and noticeably faster boat speed. Go figure. (I know this confounds the argument I'm making above, BTW.)
  • aokoye
    Options

That would be true of watts . . . but the post he was responding to was in terms of calories per minute.

BTW: I think bodyweight must count as a factor in work anytime one's power moves one's body through space, whether vertically or horizontally, whether standing or not. How much it matters may depend on position and nature of the movements/mechanical advantage.

Just as part of the thought fodder: I expected slower machine splits and no change in boat speed with weight loss. What I got was the same machine splits (more competitive as a lightweight: yay! ;) ), and noticeably faster boat speed. Go figure. (I know this confounds the argument I'm making above, BTW.)

No, it looks like the specific post he was responding to was about effort (or rather, "intensity"), not calories per minute.
    Calorie burn in cardio activities varies a lot by your weight, as well as intensity. While a lot of us will never be able to match the intensity of an athlete, a lot of us on MPH [sic] are heavier than those same athletes which means more calories for the same level or lower level of effort.
    That said, even if it was about calories per minute, that's still a matter of watts, not weight (with regards to cycling). The weight thing works well for a lot of activities, but cycling isn't one of them with regards to calculating calories. Weight will affect how fast you go (especially on climbs), but not how many watts you can put out and the calorie expenditure.

With regards to rowing, I am kind of fascinated at the lightweight/heavyweight divide and how it affects boat speed (or rather, one's split) when comparing people with similar heights. I can't use myself as anecdata because any increase in speed would be more due to better technique and an increase in muscle (yay muscle atrophy from surgery taking forever to get back to normal....) than weight loss (or gain). That said, my weight targets have been based on things related to cycling up hills and now being a lightweight rower more than anything else over the past year and a half or so.

For better or worse, because I row sweep, am a novice, and the composition of my club, I won't have the option of even trying to compete in lightweight classes. In a lot of ways that's nice because it means I don't have the "must get under 160lbs NOW" thing as a temptation.
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2019
    Options

No, it looks like the specific post he was responding to was about effort (or rather, "intensity"), not calories per minute.
    Calorie burn in cardio activities varies a lot by your weight, as well as intensity. While a lot of us will never be able to match the intensity of an athlete, a lot of us on MPH [sic] are heavier than those same athletes which means more calories for the same level or lower level of effort.
    That said, even if it was about calories per minute, that's still a matter of watts, not weight (with regards to cycling). The weight thing works well for a lot of activities, but cycling isn't one of them with regards to calculating calories. Weight will affect how fast you go (especially on climbs), but not how many watts you can put out and the calorie expenditure.

With regards to rowing, I am kind of fascinated at the lightweight/heavyweight divide and how it affects boat speed (or rather, one's split) when comparing people with similar heights. I can't use myself as anecdata because any increase in speed would be more due to better technique and an increase in muscle (yay muscle atrophy from surgery taking forever to get back to normal....) than weight loss (or gain). That said, my weight targets have been based on things related to cycling up hills and now being a lightweight rower more than anything else over the past year and a half or so.

For better or worse, because I row sweep, am a novice, and the composition of my club, I won't have the option of even trying to compete in lightweight classes. In a lot of ways that's nice because it means I don't have the "must get under 160lbs NOW" thing as a temptation.

The line of discussion started with Michael Phelps burning (reportedly) 15 calories per minute, IIRC.

And, if a heavier person puts out the same watts going up a hill as a lighter person, so is slower, their calories per minute are not the same (though their calories per mile are).

Rowing is complicated: Complete system mechanics/physics (boat + gear/rigging + water + rowers' body mechanics) is still not 100% pinned down (to confirmed equations), as far as I know. I haven't been following this closely since all the reading I did while trying to certify a few years back, though.
  • aokoye
    edited January 2019
    Options

The line of discussion started with Michael Phelps burning (reportedly) 15 calories per minute, IIRC.

And, if a heavier person puts out the same watts going up a hill as a lighter person, so is slower, their calories per minute are not the same (though their calories per mile are).

Rowing is complicated: Complete system mechanics/physics (boat + gear/rigging + water + rowers' body mechanics) is still not 100% pinned down (to confirmed equations), as far as I know. I haven't been following this closely since all the reading I did while trying to certify a few years back, though.
    I realize the subtopic started with Michael Phelps, but the quote that was responded to seemed to be about athletes on the whole, not just swimmers swimming.

I think we're possibly talking about two different things and thus talking past each other. What I, reading this, hear you saying is that if it takes a heavier person a longer amount of time to get up a hill putting out the same watts (let's pretend two people are riding up alpe du zwift, put their weight into Zwift, and set their trainers to make the rider hold a specific power), the heavier person will burn more calories. I agree with that because we're factoring in how many minutes someone is riding, but that's not what I was talking about (and I don't think that's what @NorthCascades was talking about but correct me if I'm wrong).

Actually wait - reading your post again, you said "And, if a heavier person puts out the same watts going up a hill as a lighter person, so is slower, their calories per minute are not the same (though their calories per mile are)." You've got it the wrong way around. The calories per mile are not the same, because their MPH would be different. Their calories per minute, however, are the same. Here's a link to the formula that is often used for calculating calories from watts in cycling. The formula is: energy (kcal) = avg power (W) X duration (hours) X 3.6

What I'm talking about is that, if we have two people doing, let's say, a 60 minute time trial and they are drastically different weights but their average watts are the same, they will have burned the same amount of calories. Their weight isn't factoring into it, in part, because distance isn't being measured for calories, watts and time are.
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I realize the subtopic started with Michael Phelps, but the quote that was responded to seemed to be about athletes on the whole, not just swimmers swimming.

I think we're possibly talking about two different things and thus talking past each other. What I, reading this, hear you saying is that if it takes a heavier person a longer amount of time to get up a hill putting out the same watts (let's pretend two people are riding up alpe du zwift, put their weight into Zwift, and set their trainers to make the rider hold a specific power), the heavier person will burn more calories. I agree with that because we're factoring in how many minutes someone is riding, but that's not what I was talking about (and I don't think that's what @NorthCascades was talking about but correct me if I'm wrong).

Actually wait - reading your post again, you said "And, if a heavier person puts out the same watts going up a hill as a lighter person, so is slower, their calories per minute are not the same (though their calories per mile are)." You've got it the wrong way around. The calories per mile are not the same, because their MPH would be different. Their calories per minute, however, are the same. Here's a link to the formula that is often used for calculating calories from watts in cycling. The formula is: energy (kcal) = avg power (W) X duration (hours) X 3.6

What I'm talking about is that, if we have two people doing, let's say, a 60 minute time trial and they are drastically different weights but their average watts are the same, they will have burned the same amount of calories. Their weight isn't factoring into it, in part, because distance isn't being measured for calories, watts and time are.

As I'm not a cyclist, and don't do math well when I have a headache (not caused by the thread ;) ), I'll defer to your greater knowledge.

I will add, though, that it's unusual for regular (non-cyclist) people to think of these things in watts. The lingua franca among most folks here is more about calories per minute, since that's how MFP looks at it.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

But to different degrees, right? On a bike, you can power up to speed and then coast, moving your body though space with no effort or extra calorie burn. Weight is paramount for a lot of types of exercise like running and walking, but it's much less important for other types. Because the mechanics are so different. In a lot of situations you can't just assume double the weight means double the calories. I think this started off about swimming, and that's something where the water bears your weight, the main thing you use your muscles to overcome is water resistance, and better skill can lower your energy need at the same weight.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    I must have been really tired when I first replied because I neglected to say that I was talking about flat ground. :blush:
  • AnnPT77
    Options

But to different degrees, right? On a bike, you can power up to speed and then coast, moving your body though space with no effort or extra calorie burn. Weight is paramount for a lot of types of exercise like running and walking, but it's much less important for other types. Because the mechanics are so different. In a lot of situations you can't just assume double the weight means double the calories. I think this started off about swimming, and that's something where the water bears your weight, the main thing you use your muscles to overcome is water resistance, and better skill can lower your energy need at the same weight.

To the bolded: Intuitively, yes, sure. That's what I meant by "how much it matters may depend . . .". I'm sorry I didn't write that clearly.

I have no idea what the differences in multipliers might be. The standard mets formulas appear (?) to always use bodyweight in the same way across activities; that seems strange to me, but I'm hesitant to think I know more than people who specialize in a subject. ;)

Are you sure that better skill in something like swimming lowers your energy need at the same weight? (Are you talking with respect to the same speed, or for the same length of time, since we tripped on that communicationally earlier?). It confuses me because it seems like for some activities lower skill means more wasted motion, which may be similar calorie expenditure for lower effective performance. (I'm pretty sure some of the people I see at the gym on a rowing machine are using more calories to get X meters than I would, because they're doing a lot of motion, but not getting much into the flywheel. ;) ).

I'm definitely way out of my depth here, though: Not a kinesiologist, not a physicist, not a biomechanical engineer . . . ! :drinker:
  • NorthCascades
    edited January 2019
    Options
    When I swim, I don't put my face down on the water like you're supposed to. I seem to have some weird hang up about limiting my ability to breathe, it makes me too anxious. So for the same amount of effort, I'm going slower than I should be. Or another way to put it is I'm wasting energy and burning more calories than I should be because I'm not doing it efficiently. Maybe I said it backwards again (did I get hit in there head or something?) but I'm trying to get at what you said, lower skill means wasted motion.

(Oddly that's not much of a thing on bikes, mostly because your feet are bolted to the pedals and the crank arms limit you freedom of motion to only what's appropriate. Bikes are an exception to a lot of rules.)
  • caroline_mason42
    caroline_mason42 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    from my experience when my elliptical says 1000 calories my iwatch says around 550 active calories so almost half and I always go on the apple watch and not the machine as I think this is closer to the truth :smiley:
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

Yea.... thats the reason why we have a crap load of 200lbs + pro cyclists.

The reason we don't have a crap load of 200 lb + pro cyclists is fluid dynamics. If they all stayed inside and measured wattage on stationary bikes, the sport would likely be dominated by larger riders.

To the bolded: Intuitively, yes, sure. That's what I meant by "how much it matters may depend . . .". I'm sorry I didn't write that clearly.

I have no idea what the differences in multipliers might be. The standard mets formulas appear (?) to always use bodyweight in the same way across activities; that seems strange to me, but I'm hesitant to think I know more than people who specialize in a subject. ;)

Are you sure that better skill in something like swimming lowers your energy need at the same weight? (Are you talking with respect to the same speed, or for the same length of time, since we tripped on that communicationally earlier?). It confuses me because it seems like for some activities lower skill means more wasted motion, which may be similar calorie expenditure for lower effective performance. (I'm pretty sure some of the people I see at the gym on a rowing machine are using more calories to get X meters than I would, because they're doing a lot of motion, but not getting much into the flywheel. ;) ).

I'm definitely way out of my depth here, though: Not a kinesiologist, not a physicist, not a biomechanical engineer . . . ! :drinker:

Not being a rower, I had never really considered how complex it is. The unweighting in the seat, the body moving forward, etc would I imagine give even top level pros some complex formulas to deal with. With the fluid dynamics involved in the boat moving through liquid and the upper parts and bodies moving through air, probably nightmarish formulas would be involved. Even on the amateur level I'm imagining a boat already moving forward, while the paddle ends more backward (or more likely stationary in the water really), and the upper body moving forward faster than the boat. Boundary layer changes, vortices in both the air and water, laminar flow across some of the hull, Coanda effect variations at the back of the hull...... No I don't want to even think about it.

Actually I do, but would need someone much more skilled in all that crap to figure it out.

But to the original topic, 1000 calories is no joke regardless of how it's output. I've cracked 1000 per hour on our elliptical, but it measures gross and slightly high. If Strava estimates are even close (argued both ways by many with power meters) I would think I could do it easier less hard with a lower chance of puking on a bike.

But keep in mind that in total gross calories, it's one of the rare occasions that being larger makes the calorie burn per minute easier to achieve. As for Phelps I'd have to think that 15 kcal a minute is based on training paces and not full race pace. Though doing it for an hour certainly is another thing, many less than elite amateurs can easily output that kind of power for shorter periods.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

If you're referring to a stationary bike, that could hold true.
    On a bicycle, however, if travelling the same course at the same speed, more body weight results in burning more calories due to increased resistance uphill, increased friction, etc..
    Any time drag comes into play, body mass is a factor in determining energy expenditure.
    Even in a friction-less vacuum on a flat plane, the energy to accelerate a larger body to cruising speed would be greater than for a smaller body, assuming the rate of acceleration is the same.