Bring it!

Options

Replies

• ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I think Michelle has a great attitude.

Although it reminds me of the many times I kamakazi dieted...(lifetime dieter here) I think if you can maintain it then you are treating your body as it should be.

I know it doesn't last for me and would rather continue to eat in moderation (have lost and maintained my 70 lb loss for over a year now). But I really do wish all of you the best of luck.

And Michelle, just a tip from a long time diet site user....people don't like to be told what they are doing is wrong or that they are whiners--whether it is true or not--...and no matter what you say or how you try to explain they will be turned off.

so don't worry about it, just keep doing what works for you.
  • Tailea
    Tailea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I added more to my post:laugh: Well when I'm kind I never mean it to be so someone can make excuses but more so perhaps a person can give up the beating up part which never has worked for me and be able to acknowledge their behavior, chalk it up to an OOPS, damn I wanna NOT do that next time... So if I come across as kind and positive while doing that ...YAY!

I just know that beating myself up never helps me move forward, but honesty does!:tongue:
    and thanks btw...:drinker:

FC:heart:

Oh, I didn't mean to sound like I thought you were saying it was okay to make excuses! I'm sorry if it sounded that way. :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    The first time I read this I didn't like the tone of it AT ALL. However, I just re-read it for the second time and I think I might need to really try this approach. As someone who binges regularly and will make excuses (like tonight when I ate half a pan of brownies because our heater isn't working...that excuse doesn't even make sense), I think a no-excuses attitude could be something I really need to have.

I still feel like I should not even be posting in this thread right now since I am NOT AT ALL a no-excuses kind of girl atm (as shown by my brownie story). I'm waiting for people to jump down my throat forbeing a big fatty with no control...

Tailia,

We won't exclude you because you ate half a pan of brownies. But, maybe it would help if you consider your body as a business. The brownies are a sunk cost. You'll never get those calories back, but you can learn from your mistake. When starting your business, you create a plan, just like you should do with your fitness and nutrition. You write a mission statement. You have a vision. You have long-term and short-term goals clearly defined, and whenever you venture too far off your path, you return to your business plan and mission statement and refocus yourself. Tomorrow is another day. But we won't be telling you that eating a pan of brownies is ok. We'll just tell you to learn from it, move on, and don't let it happen again! Evaluate why it happened (lack of preparation? stress? It was just there?), and do your absolute best to make sure you don't have a situation where it could happen again.

Hope this helps.
    I like how you think, short term goals and long term goals are both vital in any aspect of our life, health aspects certainly do fit in there at top in my book:wink:

• Tailea
    Options
    So how about wrapping up the other half or freezing them or whatever it is you find you need to do with them to get the away from you...

My fiance ate the other half of the pan. :laugh: He's trying to get healthy, too (he's even on MFP), but he will just go along with my binges and I tend to blame him for "letting me have it". Yet another example of how I don't hold myself accountable! The more I think about it the more disgusted I am with myself and the way I treat others to try to make myself feel like my health/weight is not my fault.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

And Michelle, just a tip from a long time diet site user....people don't like to be told what they are doing is wrong or that they are whiners--whether it is true or not--...and no matter what you say or how you try to explain they will be turned off.

Indeed. It's hard enough to explain why colon cleanses are diet pills are bad even when you have concrete, objective evidence as to why. I always use physiology or sports nutrition principles because they're a little less 'grey'. But defining things like 'dedicated' or 'clean eating'--they're subjective, like you said. I think everyone here is showing how dedicated they are by logging their food daily and exercising, whether it's 100 calorie packs and a long walk or broccoli and chicken and a 10 mile run.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    The first time I read this I didn't like the tone of it AT ALL. However, I just re-read it for the second time and I think I might need to really try this approach. As someone who binges regularly and will make excuses (like tonight when I ate half a pan of brownies because our heater isn't working...that excuse doesn't even make sense), I think a no-excuses attitude could be something I really need to have.

I still feel like I should not even be posting in this thread right now since I am NOT AT ALL a no-excuses kind of girl atm (as shown by my brownie story). I'm waiting for people to jump down my throat forbeing a big fatty with no control...
    I don't think you'll find yourself being called that here Chick a Dee:wink: But maybe that's what you're saying to yourself in Your OWN Head? Maybe? So how about wrapping up the other half or freezing them or whatever it is you find you need to do with them to get the away from you and grabbing some water and ploppin a workout video, journaling about how you feel, resetting some goals...things like that might make a world of difference! I find being mad at myself can help for a bit but then I need to quickly move on or the other half gets eaten!:blushing: :noway: :sad: :laugh:

So the heater wasn't working, major stress can cause trigger food issues at times or whatever other issues we have learned to use for coping in the past... doesn't mean you're a loser:noway: , means this time you simply chose a less kind method of dealing with stress for yourself than you might the next time.:flowerforyou:

Stupid heater:angry::wink: :tongue:

FC, everything you write is like a hug made out of words. :smooched:
    WOW, um, what a sweet sweet comment SBS...never had anyone tell me that sort of thing before! Ah, and you have NO CLUE how much I needed to hear something just for me right this very minute!!:cry::noway: :flowerforyou:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    So how about wrapping up the other half or freezing them or whatever it is you find you need to do with them to get the away from you...

My fiance ate the other half of the pan. :laugh: He's trying to get healthy, too (he's even on MFP), but he will just go along with my binges and I tend to blame him for "letting me have it". Yet another example of how I don't hold myself accountable! The more I think about it the more disgusted I am with myself and the way I treat others to try to make myself feel like my health/weight is not my fault.
    Here's something to remember you've been here a week only right? Well, and lookie what thread you picked to grab ahold of!! A clean eating one, a no nonsense one that will teach how not to allow excuses to be what they used to be.

I think realization is the key to being able to make long term changes Hon... realizing your behavior is a good part of the battle because then we can see what direction we need to begin to head to make permanent changes to better health and self confidence:flowerforyou:

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

I don't think you'll find yourself being called that here Chick a Dee:wink: But maybe that's what you're saying to yourself in Your OWN Head? Maybe? So how about wrapping up the other half or freezing them or whatever it is you find you need to do with them to get the away from you and grabbing some water and ploppin a workout video, journaling about how you feel, resetting some goals...things like that might make a world of difference! I find being mad at myself can help for a bit but then I need to quickly move on or the other half gets eaten!:blushing: :noway: :sad: :laugh:

So the heater wasn't working, major stress can cause trigger food issues at times or whatever other issues we have learned to use for coping in the past... doesn't mean you're a loser:noway: , means this time you simply chose a less kind method of dealing with stress for yourself than you might the next time.:flowerforyou:

Stupid heater:angry::wink: :tongue:

FC, everything you write is like a hug made out of words. :smooched:
    WOW, um, what a sweet sweet comment SBS...never had anyone tell me that sort of thing before! Ah, and you have NO CLUE how much I needed to hear something just for me right this very minute!!:cry::noway: :flowerforyou:

Well I'm glad I could make you feel better. You do that for soooooo many people here. I never see you say anything out of anger or even irritation hehe :laugh: I need to be more like that! I am so opinionated. :blushing:
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    mgullet needs her own website. imho.

we have these boards to discuss, to vent, to talk about whatever temptation is coming along, to help and support each other. if the tone of this site was as the OP portrayed, I would never have stuck with it this long.

I LOVE our community just like it is. all the venting, ranting, raving, support, advice,
    "whiners" and all.

i 100% agree.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

You had several eye-opening statements there that I hope you go back & re-read what you wrote. :flowerforyou:

1. You blame your fiance for "letting you have it".
    2. You don't hold yourself accountable
    3. You're disgusted with yourself
    4. Your weight/health is not your fault.

Turn those around to:

1. I blame myself for eating......(fill in the blank)
    2. I am accountable for my body.
    3. I'm proud of my accomplishments
    4. My weigh/health is my responsibility

You'll kick @$$ by the end of the year! :drinker:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Everyone,

Just to let you know, I have higher goals than just losing weight. My overall goal is lifetime fitness, and I DO follow a very intense workout program. The nutrition is solely to support those goals and make sure that I am getting the most from my workout and allowing my body to recover efficiently. I feel that if I am working out that hard, I want to see my results from giving 110%. And results come from exercise and nutrition. If some of you just use the site for tracking calories and motivation, that's fine too. Or if you're here for weight loss, but have your own fitness plan that you don't use the site for, ok. We all know what works for us, but doing it is the hardest part. And that's why we're here.

If you find my approach boot camp like, or obsessive, or just not for you, that's the beauty of choice. But if you do need that kick in the butt to make you work harder, I hope that's what you take from this. The goal is not to bring you down, or be the root cause of your failure (is that even possible?), but to pick you up when you fall, tell you how it is, and see that the power of the mind is stronger than many think.

I want to HELP you, but ultimately, you have to want to help yourself. Take charge, responsibility, and use our posts as a tool. Don't let others bring you down.

As far as blaming me for failure, well, I can't fail for you. This goes back to having an internal locus of control.
  • candycaneps
    candycaneps Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I think the ideas are great and there are some really great tips, but the TONE is terrible. I read it twice because I thought maybe I was taking it wrong but what I am getting from this is "If you aren't doing this, this way, than you basically suck".

I don't think your approach to weight loss and being healthy is wrong, but the way you are saying it can be hurtful and not make anyone feel motivated. I personally want to be better and healthier but I feel like you are extremely judgemental and if I shared my struggles you would call me a whiner rather than motivate me to do better.

The women (and men) here have offered great advice and have been a really great support system. I don't have anyone in my life that is really interested in eating healthy and exercise for that purpose. I struggle with knowing what is good for me and what is bad. I need more education on eating healthy and how to make those healthy meals. The support is SO important.
  • Tailea
    Options

You had several eye-opening statements there that I hope you go back & re-read what you wrote. :flowerforyou:

Turn those around to:

Yep, the post was pretty much saying I realize how those things are wrong and I need to change them. :laugh: Thanks!
  • Shannon023
    Options

Turn those around to:

Yep, the post was pretty much saying I realize how those things are wrong and I need to change them. :laugh: Thanks!

I'm old enough to be your {{eh-hem}} aunt, so I'm glad you took the advice as intended! :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I think the ideas are great and there are some really great tips, but the TONE is terrible. I read it twice because I thought maybe I was taking it wrong but what I am getting from this is "If you aren't doing this, this way, than you basically suck".

I don't think your approach to weight loss and being healthy is wrong, but the way you are saying it can be hurtful and not make anyone feel motivated. I personally want to be better and healthier but I feel like you are extremely judgemental and if I shared my struggles you would call me a whiner rather than motivate me to do better.

The women (and men) here have offered great advice and have been a really great support system. I don't have anyone in my life that is really interested in eating healthy and exercise for that purpose. I struggle with knowing what is good for me and what is bad. I need more education on eating healthy and how to make those healthy meals. The support is SO important.

B-I-N-G-O!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Just a question to everyone who has decided to jump on this threads bandwagon...What kind of excercise do you do and how often? I have noticed the last few weeks my Kickbox Cardio is hardly making me sweat anymore ..so Im looking for new ways to increase my workout intensity:drinker: ..I need something hard but I prefer for it to be mostly standing up.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Everyone,

Just to let you know, I have higher goals than just losing weight. My overall goal is lifetime fitness, and I DO follow a very intense workout program. The nutrition is solely to support those goals and make sure that I am getting the most from my workout and allowing my body to recover efficiently. I feel that if I am working out that hard, I want to see my results from giving 110%. And results come from exercise and nutrition. If some of you just use the site for tracking calories and motivation, that's fine too. Or if you're here for weight loss, but have your own fitness plan that you don't use the site for, ok. We all know what works for us, but doing it is the hardest part. And that's why we're here.

If you find my approach boot camp like, or obsessive, or just not for you, that's the beauty of choice. But if you do need that kick in the butt to make you work harder, I hope that's what you take from this. The goal is not to bring you down, or be the root cause of your failure (is that even possible?), but to pick you up when you fall, tell you how it is, and see that the power of the mind is stronger than many think.

I want to HELP you, but ultimately, you have to want to help yourself. Take charge, responsibility, and use our posts as a tool. Don't let others bring you down.

As far as blaming me for failure, well, I can't fail for you. This goes back to having an internal locus of control.

I think since we're all individuals we'll view this thread each in our own way. Nothing wrong with that but I think to put down someone that is trying to share with others and motiviate them in a ways not as common on MFP doesn't mean it's wrong. I agree with Shannon on the cheerleading on here...I know it feels good to have someone tell us it's all ok, but there are some ppl that need to not hear it put that way.... I believe it's those types of ppl that will hang tough with MG and find this thread very helpful and motivating!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

We each have particular threads we enjoy because we get something useful (well, least I hope that's why we chose them:blushing: :laugh:) out of them for our journey (or the lighthearted ones for some laughs we all need at times:tongue: ) this thread most definitely in my opinion has a place here.

There were bashers (and still are at times) of the clean eating thread, but that doesn't mean the members don't continue on that path knowing it's the best one for them because they chose that route.

I think if someone is interested in being a part of this thread and changing their lifestyle in this way then by all means aren't we able to allow the freedom for others to do so? I see nothing at all unhealthy about this thread. I frankly don't even find anything mean about it myself. MG shared she's blunt, ah, and we ALL know there are many blunt folks on here,:tongue: but that's no reason to bash them, is it?

I think this approach is simply newer to MFP and perhaps that's why there's so much thought on it.

Have an Awesome weekend ALL:drinker: :wink:
  • Shannon023
    Options
    Just a question to everyone who has decided to jump on this threads bandwagon...What kind of excercise do you do and how often? I have noticed the last few weeks my Kickbox Cardio is hardly making me sweat anymore ..so Im looking for new ways to increase my workout intensity:drinker: ..I need something hard but I prefer for it to be mostly standing up.

I'm a runner. And now that the weather is getting (a tad) warmer & the days will soon be a little longer, I'm totally stoked! :drinker:

My problem is I'm bored with any other type of exercising so I allow myself to get lazy in the off season. :embarassed:
  • Tailea
    Options
    Just a question to everyone who has decided to jump on thhis threads bandwagon...What kind of excercise do you do and how often? I have noticed the last few weeks my Kickbix Cardio is hardly making me sweat anymore ..so Im looking for ideas:drinker: ..I need something hard but I prefer for it to be mostly standing up.

I change up my cardio a lot because I get bored. I do elliptical, bike, crosstrainer, all sorts of machines. I have a little stepper from Sharper Image that I used to do as a last resort in my apartment (it doesn't really feel at all like cardio, just a good workout for my legs/butt) when I couldn't get to my gym but I can't use that anymore because the guy who lives below me started complaining about the noise. :grumble: I still haven't found anything that I really feel like I'm working hard on, probably because I just don't work hard enough. Tomorrow my fiance and I are going to the gym and we're not leaving until I burn off those damn brownies from today. Hopefully as I get used to my new HRM I can figure out my target heart rate and get it up there!

I do strength training three days a week at my gym, too.

I've never taken a class, but my gym offers a ton for free and some others for a bit extra. Are they really any good? I've never taken one.
  • Shannon023
    Options
    [
    I think this approach is simply newer to MFP and perhaps that's why there's so much thought on it.

Have an Awesome weekend ALL:drinker: :wink:

:flowerforyou: