The sly/bring you back down to earth/p*ss on your parade comments

Does anyone else have catty comments made to them while they are trying to lose weight, get fit, maintain etc...

I have just had it today.

Bit of background - 5ft 6, 13st 7lb in Jan last year and I am now 10st 7lb (with a good diet, still allowing treats, working out hard etc) In this time I have been using the electronic Bmi and fat machines at the gym, of course this has been decreasing as time goes on...My fat today measured at 22.6% which is apparently excellent. I was still pleased with seeing this result as I have always weighed myself at the exact same time every Friday morning. Took a pic, snap chatted it and this guy (who I know as an aquaintence) replied "those machines chat S**T" and a load of laughing emojis. it wasnt even kind, not like "just be aware its not alway on the dot etc"

Fair enough they may not be amazingly accurate but I'm still much better off than I was last year! Why cant people just be happy for each other? I dont know if its jealousy, envy.....

feel free to vent here your criticisms........

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Well, I'll counter his comment with this: Really well done! 22 BMI is right where I am and I love it. Good work! Congratulations on your hard work.

P.S. all you need to calculate your BMI is your height and weight, so I don't what that guy was talking about. It isn't a complicated calculation that needs a trip to a chamber.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    Pardyqueenxoxo Posts: 218 Member
    edited January 2019
    Meant 22.6% body fat sorry! xx
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited January 2019
    Meant 22.6% body fat sorry! xx

Ohhhh. I need to drink coffee before replying to posts. That was my fault. Well, yeah, then. Those machines are crap. :lol:

But still - well done!

People have no filter, just don't let him ruin your day.
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    kgeyser wrote: »
    OP, some people on the internet just need to comment on things like that because they are insecure about themselves, and "showing off" their knowledge makes them feel valued. It happens all the time on health and fitness sites, where someone posts something and another person will completely ignore the main idea of the post to focus on one little comment or statement that they think is "wrong." See how valuable and knowledgeable they are?! They corrected the misinformation!

Some people never gained the wisdom to know when speaking up is helpful and when it's obnoxious, or they just don't have the social graces to understand the appropriate response in a situation. The nice thing about the internet is that in doing so, they put it all out there for everyone else to see.

Congrats on your 22.6%! I've been around that same number according to one of those machines, and even if it's not accurate, I know how dedicated you have to have been to even get that number. You should be really proud of yourself and the work you've put in.

Thank you!

ands I understand that if i share things then its down to me to get criticism and deal with it, however. people find it easier to put people down as oppose to being pleased for people. if someone puts on facebook "going out for drinks with the girls and getting hammered" evryone thinks its awesome. lose weight, get fit and healthy people slate you!
  • BMsJourney
    BMsJourney Posts: 106 Member
    I did from a coworker. There was birthday cake available and I declined taking a piece. She then made a huge scene and when I told her I had just started my diet, she made fun of me and encouraged another coworker to join in on the laughs. Luckily, he had more professionalism and told her to stop. Sadly, my department will be starting a biggest loser challenge next week. And guess who put herself in charge of collecting the data? Yep... So I am seriously considering sitting it out just so I don't have to deal with her on a weekly basis...

Plenty of accountability friends to be found on MFP - sit it out in good conscience, knowing your are 100% able to succeed without them! :smiley:
  • Pardyqueenxoxo
    I did from a coworker. There was birthday cake available and I declined taking a piece. She then made a huge scene and when I told her I had just started my diet, she made fun of me and encouraged another coworker to join in on the laughs. Luckily, he had more professionalism and told her to stop. Sadly, my department will be starting a biggest loser challenge next week. And guess who put herself in charge of collecting the data? Yep... So I am seriously considering sitting it out just so I don't have to deal with her on a weekly basis...

Thats horrible! but do you know what, let that keep you going, because i had it to from co-workers, even family saying "i bet she wont stick with it" " she will soon put it back on". its never ever praise or encouragement these days.

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

That's crazy that someone would do that at the workplace. Especially now a days when all you need is a talk with HR.

Definitely agree that you don't need that at work.