January 2019 Self Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    January 12*No all my post will not be this long just giving a little introduction..... 😌

So lately I have been figuring myself out... I realized I want to go to the gym but I always have a lame excuse like it's cold, or I'm tiered... So I decided to work out at home so far I only missed 2 days of my schedule in 3 weeks so working out before work at night seems to be working very well. And yesterday I added walking at home for 45 minutes after work as well... I used to do Leslie sansone walk at home dvd which is basically 4 moves so I just do that in front of watching MSNBC news while the kids get ready for school that way I know they left the house looking decent instead of me passing out and they leave without their belt on or face washed 🤦so me being able to do this consistently for 3 weeks is a big deal for me dealing with depression it's hard to find the energy to keep going. But I think that's because I finally found my WHY when I started this routine.... Because I don't want it to be 16 years from now and all the kids almost out the house and I'm still trying to figure out who I am...
    Thanks for reading if you made it this far 😊

This is awesome! Sometimes just having routine can make it easier to deal with depression, at least for me. Especially since it sounds like you work overnight. That is rough!
  • jmgr9993
    jmgr9993 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    jmgr9993 wrote: »
    Yesterday we went for a brisk, cold hike on a new trail 30 minutes from our home. Pic below. Husband and our kids had family date night after our hike. It was very enjoyable.

Today: we are in the middle of a snow storm. So it is beyond freezing cold outside. Hubby and I cuddled under the warm covers and talked for a good hour. We have been married for close to 18 years it’s been awhile since we have taken the time to cuddle and catch up on things like that. My husband asked me if I would be interested in doing a 40 day challenge where you do something nice or go above and beyond for your spouse in 40 days. I thought this was a great idea. After being married for so long things become habit or you take the extra special things your spouse does for grant it. So I’m excited to try it.

Update: the employee I spent time with on Thursday.. she came into work Friday with a pep in her step, a smile on her face, and for the first time since starting she looked relaxed. Plus most importantly I asked if she got any sleep and she did !!! Success 😊

Ohh, I like that challenge! What a great husband you have. I will suggest it to mine!

Awesome update on the coworker you helped. Big smiles here!

If you and husband do the 40 day challenge you will have to let me know how it goes. Day 1 I hit my husband with a gift of his favorite chocolates (he’s the opposite of me he actually needs to gain some weight I keep telling him that I can donate some fat to the needy lol) It was wrapped and everything. He was so surprised. I think I am going to like doing this challenge with him. 😊
  • jmgr9993
    Options
    skram01 wrote: »
    Been a little lacking. I've gone hiking twice so far recently which was nice. I also have myself off from the gym today so this wouldn't be the third day in a row with less than 7 hours of sleep. I've been doing better about hitting my protein goal which feels really satisfying. I've also been working on my drawing. I like that in not as awful as I thought. I seek to do pretty well with flowers and my dog. I'm really looking forward to more winter hiking now that the temperature has finally dipped and we are starting to get some snow.

I don’t know what it is there is something very refreshing about hiking in the winter time. It is so quiet and peaceful. I noticed today as we were hiking through the woods there is a certain amount of resistance training that goes into walking in the snow. So I felt a sense of accomplishment 😊
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @jmgr9993 I love your idea of the 40 day challenge being nice to your other half.

My OH has been away for 2 weeks and I've done lots of cleaning and some home repairs/painting, so it all looks very nice for him to come home to.

I've stocked up on his favourite food so he can have steak for dinner when he gets home, and nice icecream and the juice he likes.

I also bought him a little "party light" that syncs to your phone music that I found in a post-Xmas sale. He's a sound/lighting technician and loves nifty gadgets and hasn't got one of those.

I can't wait to hear what nice things you think of doing.
  • Fitatelo
    Fitatelo Posts: 180 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    January 12th:
    -Went to the gym
    -Completed my morning & evening skincare routines
    -Took a nap
    -Ate well
    -Drank a lot of water
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I add comments on my phone or reply to you guys it isn't working :/
    So when I'm on my laptop, I'll try to remember to add my comments.
    This week I've done yoga and headspace daily and walked each day (apart from today, rest day from walking)
    I've walked 28 miles this week.
    Today I've made yogi tea, veg soup for my dinner in work and been shopping to buy lots of yummy veggies. This evening I'm going to chill with a book.
    Hope you're all looking after yourselves x
  • jmgr9993
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    @jmgr9993 I love your idea of the 40 day challenge being nice to your other half.

My OH has been away for 2 weeks and I've done lots of cleaning and some home repairs/painting, so it all looks very nice for him to come home to.

I've stocked up on his favourite food so he can have steak for dinner when he gets home, and nice icecream and the juice he likes.

I also bought him a little "party light" that syncs to your phone music that I found in a post-Xmas sale. He's a sound/lighting technician and loves nifty gadgets and hasn't got one of those.

I can't wait to hear what nice things you think of doing.

Oh I bet your other half will be pleasantly surprised when he comes home. My husband left to go pick up our daughter from work. He comes home and proudly announces that he got me a gift for the 40 day challenge. He then goes on to tell me how it is not a very Romantic gift. He surprised me with a vacuum cleaner lol. Which is funny because I have been asking him for two weeks to buy one and he insisted he could fix the broken one!! I personally appreciated it because it was driving me crazy to not be able to vacuum the floor. What a sweet husband 😊
  • jmgr9993
    Options
    Spending time with my family brings me great joy. We went on a winter hike through some woods close to our home and then we went sled riding. After spending the majority of our day outside getting our exercise. We came home, put a fire in the fireplace, snuggled under some blankets on the couch and watched a Netflix movie. All in all a fantastic day!!!
  • 00000eli
    00000eli Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    New here :). Reading some of your posts has inspired me.
    1. Got some quality sleep before 3rd
    2. Logged all food.
    3. Spent time with my cat (empty nest)
    4. Drank more water.
    5. More time reading than screentime.
  • HatherM
    Options
    Well after a relaxing day yesterday, I struggled to sleep, I even lay in bed reading until I couldn't keep my eyes open any more, so I'm a little sluggish today, I think this evening after work will be some more self-care, lots of reading and some more mindfulness and (hopefully) an early night
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I actually had a really lovely weekend even though it was particularly eventful or productive. On Saturday I did not go to the gym so they I could actually get some sleep. I went with my husband to the eye doctor and the feed store. It was nice to have time to talk with him and I'm glad he finally went to the eye doctor.

When we go home I started on dinner. I really love cooking and this year I've been getting into using dried beans and lentils. I used cranberry beans to make a new to me recipe, pasta fagioli, in my cast iron Dutch oven. It turned out amazing. Holy moly do I love kitchen things. We spent the evening watching Avatar and the snow falling.

Yesterday on a whim we decided to go to the movies. We also made plans for the next two weekends to go to the movies because there are things we want to see in the theater. It felt nice to get back to that because we used to go fairly regularly. It's fun for us to discuss movies. Especially since we have fun discussing cannon surrounding the Marvell movies as well as how the DC movies compare.
  • Fitatelo
    Options
    January 13th:
    -Slept in
    -Ate well
    -Completed evening hygiene routine
    -Caught up on laundry
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,031 Member
    Options
    jmgr9993 wrote: »
    Spending time with my family brings me great joy. We went on a winter hike through some woods close to our home and then we went sled riding. After spending the majority of our day outside getting our exercise. We came home, put a fire in the fireplace, snuggled under some blankets on the couch and watched a Netflix movie. All in all a fantastic day!!!

@jmgr9993 That sound lbs lovely!
    My husband & I have been doing your 40 day challenge. Mostly tasks and things around the house or suggesting activities that we know the other will like! Tonight I found a card at shop while in my walk & gave it to him. “All I have to do is think of you...(open card) ... and I get a big smile on my face”❣️

Thank you!!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Self care:
    Worked out which I do enjoy
    Made lots of tea throughout the night
    Took a candlelit bath in stead of a quick shower after workout
    Watched a funny show i never saw before (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix) - silly but funny and sweet.
  • Fitatelo
    Options
    January 14th:
    -Went for a run
    -Cleaned the house
    -Journaled
  • rhorho86
    rhorho86 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Just found this! I was in training all weekend and was missing self care so this is perfect. Monday's self care was getting back into routine. Belly rubs with the dogs after work, 30 minutes on the treadmill, and a nice cup of decaf chai before bed. I'm very good about taking my vitamins daily
  • HatherM
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Self care:
    Worked out which I do enjoy
    Made lots of tea throughout the night
    Took a candlelit bath in stead of a quick shower after workout
    Watched a funny show i never saw before (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt on Netflix) - silly but funny and sweet.

OMG I love Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt it's so funny, if you enjoy that try Schitt's Creek :)
  • 57discovery
    57discovery Posts: 3,135 Member
    Options
    Went to my bed earlier past two days. Very good for me...
    Got together with friends over weekend and yesterday for dinner