switching to a new diet every 5 days? - anyone done this?

Options

Replies

• jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    That sounds exhausting.
    ^ this

• eatyogarun
    eatyogarun Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    You might need to spend more than 5 days on each diet to truly see the effect of each of them. INteresting experiment, sounds exhausting but good on you for trying.

I think the Dukan diet is phases that you cycle through. I don't know the specifics but I know it can't be "done" in 5 days.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Ok, this actually sounds kind of interesting to me. I'd probably do 2 weeks at a time though, just to have time to get familiar with what you're doing.

You might find this site interesting, a couple of RDs are doing something similar-
    https://www.thenutritionwonk.com/

As for myself, in the 7ish years that I've been at this I've experimented with ADF, 5:2IF, 16:8IF, Nutritarian, vegetarian, primal, Nourishing Traditions, DASH, The Great Potato Hack, low carb, WW and now playing around with a whole foods, pescetarian woe. I hear ya on getting bored quickly :D

eta: someone beat me to sharing the link :) Like pp said-they're doing each diet for around a month. This gives them enough time to really try it out and see how it works out for them.
  • zeejane03
    zeejane03 Posts: 993 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments, I am day 4 today of the 5:2 diet, still loving it and great not having to feel guilty and calorie count when out for lunch with friends today 😁and i don't have the dreaded fasting days to come as looking forward to switching plans on Friday (Out for coffee and cake tomorrow, hence why this diet fitted in with life this week!). I am doing only five days as it's meant to be a bit of a taster of each diet.. it's enough days to keep me interested and my brain interested in getting my head around how it's done and then i move on.. Will pop the link to the man who did what I am doing here.. he explains it really well AND has actually kept the weight off in the long term.

Https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2907176/amp/The-man-did-10-diets-50-days-one-really-worked.html

Interesting article, thanks for sharing! I would have no problem doing this, with the exception of the cabbage diet, because cabbage is just evil :p And I totally relate to him about the boredom factor, I really struggle with this now that I'm a few years into maintenance.

I'm curious what the NHS plan is, that he tried and ended up settling on-off to google!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If I read it correctly, the article was written 2 months after his experiment. So all we know is he kept it off for 2 months. And he kept it off however long he did by then switching to the NHS diet, because that's the one he thought was actually sustainable. So I'm not really sure what the point of someone else doing this would be as far as accomplishing anything. I still think that if you can tell in 5 days, you could probably tell by just reading up on the diet. Lots of people think a plan is the best plan ever for the first week, and a month later they have given up because it was too hard. That's why New Years Resolutions are always joked about. You'll keep it off if you are able to determine which of the diets you can do long term in the 5 days you're giving them.

I'll also note that he seemed to be working closely with his doctor, and got really sick in the middle of it. And he promptly wrote a book, which he was promoting by publicizing his experiment.

Oh well, I don't understand this at all, but you seem to be really clear on it, so I hope it pays off and doesn't just confuse the heck out of your digestive system.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I too think this sounds interesting and challenging, although I agree with the posters above that I would do each diet for 2-4 weeks at least, to really deliberately test them out so it doesn't come across as overly ADHD and...SQUIRREL!!! :D You should open a thread (or just continue this one, I guess, but it might be nice to have a fresh start) laying out your final plan and then updating it with your thoughts and final judgment as you proceed through each diet.

You could also set up an informal polling system and let readers pick your next diet by choosing insightful/inspiring/woo/hug.