How often do you eat fast food?

Options

Replies

• GoddessAndraste
    Options
    Less than once a month, now. It now falls into the "treat" category, and on the rare occasion I have it, I make sure a workout happens that day, and that I make good food choices for the rest of the day. Health benefits aside, I've also saved a ton of money. :)
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    I think it's an okay decision to make as an adult, but I think it's horrible that they are feeding their children fast food that often. More than likely it has caused their obesity. That is now something that will probably cause a lot of issues and insecurities for those girls. We all know how judgmental we are of our selves, especially younger girls. Fast food is a fun treat for kids, but Parents should be teaching their children about healthy food choices instead of doing what's easy
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you eat. What matters is how many calories you intake. A whopper with med fries is 1190 calories. That's not including the drink. I weigh 179 lbs, that's 1790 resting calories to burn daily. 1190-1790 is 600 left. the order is fat, carbs and protein. Anything after that I am wearing. It's about choices. I eat protein, carbs and low fat. I lost 13.5 lbs fat and gained 1.5 lbs muscle in 7 weeks.
  • laumar3012
    Options
    i agree with what others said, its all about moderation and making informed choices. you need to be on the websites researching the nutritional content, that way you know what you are getting. I usually go to mcdonalds once a month, during my TOM, and get a plain cheeseburger and a diet coke. its just enough to crush my craving and be done with it. not saying that i never get a value meal, but honestly i cant say the last time i had one. but the same can be said for any resturaunt (sp?). we were going out this past weekend and we narrowed it down to a few choices. i researched the websites and also looked on the database here.

Eating out or in is all about making the right choices for you on that day. no one can say go x amount of times, you need to see what works for you.
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I think it's an okay decision to make as an adult, but I think it's horrible that they are feeding their children fast food that often. More than likely it has caused their obesity. That is now something that will probably cause a lot of issues and insecurities for those girls. We all know how judgmental we are of our selves, especially younger girls. Fast food is a fun treat for kids, but Parents should be teaching their children about healthy food choices instead of doing what's easy
    Well said.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    Pretty much every day but I always eat some sort of grilled chicken salad and bring my own dressing to cut calories and sodium. Except at Subway where I use the sweet onion sauce as dressing.
  • Naomi113
    Naomi113 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    probs twice a week usually on weekends sunday is our subway day we LOVE subway.. and either we have noodle box or master noodle and odd occasion pizza on a saturday night :) but with that in mind i always work it off as well during the week with training ...
  • jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    thnx for all the answers!
    didnt know i wasnt the only one out there that sometimes eats fast food a couple of times a month :P
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I have Nandos maybe once a month (I love their vege burger...) but apart from that I don't really much care for fast food.

In general, with this kind of food, I don't think you have much portion control, and it's so easy to go over calories.
  • want2walknotwaddle
    want2walknotwaddle Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i work at mcdonalds 3 days a week so sometimes i eat here 3 times a week but by eating here i mean i will have a grilled chicken salad no dressing with a bottle water 5 times in 2 weeks and every 2 weeks i will have 2 chicken selects and a side salad with sweet chilli dip and a diet soda its my treat and i only have it if i have had a loss that week otherwise i go back to the grilled chicken salad and it not stopped me losing 5 st 7 since march :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We have a house rule (sticking to a budget :() - never eat out more than once a fortnight and takeaway falls into that category. I'd much rather have a nice restaurant meal, but if we do opt for takeaway most places have a nutritional booklet to help you make the best choices.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    KFC once per month, probably about 1000 calories per meal. That's my one treat for the month so I enjoy it muchly! =D
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I work at Carl's Jr, so I eat there 5-6 days a week. And a lot of the time, when I'm on my way home, I don't feel like cooking, So we probably get a pizza from Little Caesar's once or twice a week. And I still lose weight when I watch my calories. The trick is knowing what you can and can't afford before hand.

I know the sandwich I always make at work is under 500 calories, and so is the salad I like. I know I can't let myself eat more than 2 slices of pizza at one sitting. Ever.

The problem with fast food is that you tend to get it when you've let yourself get very hungry, and then your stomach and you're eyes are doing the thinking. If you know ahead of time what you're going to get, then you take away the opportunity to let your hunger make a bad decision.
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    In terms of McDonalds, Burger King, KFC etc I'd pretty much say that it's been on the rarest occasions - I'd never really CHOOSE to eat it, particularly not sober.

But, I was put off that food at an early age and I've never really gone back to enjoying the taste of it.

But fast food pizza... (I mean, I buy it from the supermarket deli counter as it's a lot cheaper) probably every year or so as a guilty pleasure. My ex and I went through a habit of having it all the time and I loaded the weight on, so I am careful about things that I love but I don't have any stop button on...
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I cook most meals at home but I do tend to have one meal a week that is either dinner at a restaurant / bar or a microwave meal or a take away or my OH cooks. (so basically one meal a week that I don't cook and that I tend not to worry too much about calories!)

I am so used to eating healthy now I tend to go for healthy options even when I am 'off' plan LOL!. If we do have a take away I order a chicken shish from out local Turkish place, or if its a microwave meal I make sure it is a low cal and I serve with a massive home made side salad.

I have had Macdonalds once since I signed up and it wasn't great!
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    no fast food here...Maybe I'll break down and do Subway twice a year. I'll order Chinese take out once every few mothns. But I cook my own meals. I am single and do not have children. So I prepare food ahead of time and freeze some things. I also eat alot of fruits/veggies.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If you're in a time crunch to fix something to eat....how about going to fresh market or whole foods & getting something prepared that you can throw in the oven? I've never checked the calorie intake on stuff like this but thought it may be a better option than fast food...
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I used to love McDonalds and go there quite regularly.

However, after starting MFP, I went there once and HATED it.

If I ever do have something out, then I'll have a Subway or something, but that doesn't happen often enough anymore.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Its not that difficult to pack a lunch or snacks it just takes a little forethought. Don't get so hungry a granola/protein bar with curb your hunger, a piece of fruit/greek yogurt. There are things you can do so that you aren't starving and then have to take the nutrition lacking foods that are cheap and close. Once in a while for fast food. And don't upsize.
  • Natasha7t2
    Natasha7t2 Posts: 129
    Options
    I have not touched fast food since I found out about the crap that goes into a McDonald's/Burger King/KFC etc hamburgers, chicken, chicken nuggets etc, and how they make their chips and milkshakes. That was over 5 years ago. I used to love fast food!

I cannot get my head around why parents would feed their kids fast food when they know how terrible it is for you - especially those that can afford to feed their kids better food. Why would you do that to your children?