Handstand Challenge

Options

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    With everyday practice and 3x/week classes, you are going to be the handstand guru soon @TiisTitanium!

Edit - my gymming and handstand practice have been spotty lately. I have not been practicing much.
  • wanderingarcher
    wanderingarcher Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    How can I get away from the wall? I just fold in half.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I am up to Day 15 of my 365 day handstand challenge and am very happy with the progress I have made as my balancing improves and confidence improves as well. The classes three times a week probably helps a lot as well. szbqr23ffk6p.png

that's some nice alignment
  • mom23mangos
    Options

What do you mean, fold in half?
  • wanderingarcher
    Options

I mean, when I try to straighten up off the wall, I can’t hold it straight for more than a few seconds until my legs fall forward. Is it just a matter of building strength?
  • mom23mangos
    Options

I mean, when I try to straighten up off the wall, I can’t hold it straight for more than a few seconds until my legs fall forward. Is it just a matter of building strength?

That sounds more like balance. If you can hold against the wall for a minute or more (chest to wall and back to wall) then you should be plenty strong enough. To help with balance, you can practice leaning your head against the wall when you take your legs away if back is to the wall.
  • snugglesworthjr
    snugglesworthjr Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    A little late to the party, but I'd love to join this challenge! I've been practicing for the last couple of weeks, and I'm starting to find a little balance now, just a few seconds. I want that handstand so bad!
  • TiisTitanium
    TiisTitanium Posts: 235 Member
    Options

What way are you facing when fold in half? A good way to focus on balance is to kick up to the wall then do a drill that is called heel pulls. Basically you focus on hands and "claw fingers" then push up in your shoulder and you float away from the wall and get some balance. Focus on keeping the legs as tightly close together as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYehg2ruMN0

Welcome @snugglesworthjr - no one is ever late to this challenge, as it is forever ongoing as once you get it you just want to improve and do more shapes and types.

I had a good/bad handstand class as the other girls didn't want to partner up with me and the remaining guy was unimpressed about being my handstand buddy. But I got some good long balances, improvement in my tuck and was okay in pike press. By the end my partner was okay with me but being rejected sucked and put me off a little. Oh well these things happen when you are new kid in the gym.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    @TiisTitanium Thanks! I’ll work on these things.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I totally did not practice handstands this week at all. I'll get back on it.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I got 10 seconds today for the first time ever!! The progress came after I recorded myself trying to balance against a wall and seeing just how out of line I was.

Awesome! Great idea!
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    So I’ve been having tenderness under my right ribs. I’m thinking gall bladder/liver, but my doc said to stop the handstands for a while.

...?

Is that even possibly related?
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    So I’ve been having tenderness under my right ribs. I’m thinking gall bladder/liver, but my doc said to stop the handstands for a while.

...?

My guess is that it's precautionary, fearing a fall could exacerbate symptoms, whatever the cause.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

...?

My guess is that it's precautionary, fearing a fall could exacerbate symptoms, whatever the cause.

I can understand that, but she was saying that my pain might have been caused by strain doing handstands. ?
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »

...?

I can understand that, but she was saying that my pain might have been caused by strain doing handstands. ?

I get a pain like that when I am working on a pancake or pike stretch but never had that one in handstand. Did she explain the connection about why handstands are banned or is it quite a few exercises. You have my sympathy in any event.

My practice is going well though my shoulders and traps are super sore at the moment. Not sure if it is from upping the ante with daily practice or pushing limits in gymnastic ring class - all I can say is I am glad it ballet class tomorrow so it will be my legs that are ouchie.
  • wanderingarcher
    Options
    I managed to kick up without a wall and balance for 7 seconds! Who knew, daily practice actually does help XD
    That’s so exciting! Congratulations!
  • TiisTitanium
    Options
    A different kind of balancing there @mbaker566. Looks great and makes me miss Lyra a lot.

Congratulations @snugglesworthjr - that is such an awesome achievement.

I was excited to read this blog tonight after handstand class especially as it mentioned teachers I have come across and the studio I go to - and I always like in when international visitors like my hometown 😀

https://www.handstanddiary.com/review-perth/