What to do to get rid of stubborn beer gut?

2»

Replies

• JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    6h6v5i9ohryn.jpg

unfortunately....
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Looks like you're making progress, just not as fast as you'd like. Do a cut, complete with calorie deficit and cardio exercise aimed at fat loss.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Do you weigh your food for logging? Try to avoid using volumes for non-fluids, there can be a huge variation in caloric intake.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    IsETHome wrote: »
    nazarah123 wrote: »
    Long story short......I've been working out at some level most all of my adult life. In my 20's and some of my 30's I picked up the bottle. I didn't really gain a ton of weight from it, but the weight that I did gain stayed in my mid section. I'm 36, male and 230lb last time I weighed in.

Now the details that bring me here. Back in late June of 2018 I put down the drink. Haven't touched it since. Really kicked up my exercise frequency and started logging food on MFP. I feel like I've been doing what it takes to loose fat while still maintaining muscle mass. At first, I went from being comfortable in a 36 waist jeans down to 35/34. So there was *some* progress. Seems like in the past few months though, it's kind of tanked. I keep an eye on the scale, although I know that is sometimes your worst enemy. I've hovered in that 225-230 range for a long time.

What does a guy have to do to get rid of the gut? It's frustrating. I can post a couple of pictures from June and now if it'll help.

Cardio, drop weight and focus on core strength. You probably have 45 lbs to drop in order to get the belly minimized. Recommend measuring. Your body won't initially drop it first where you want it and visually your belly could look bigger at first so ensure you track inches too.

he doesnt have to do cardio and drop weights and focus on core strenght. he needs a slight deficit if a decent amount of weight to lose. if not maybe a recomp is in order, it could also take more than 45 lbs to get rid of the gut but its hard to tell how much or how long. lifting is what will keep his muscle mass he does have. it wont make any difference when it comes to weight/fat loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    It’s a hard question to answer not knowing your current diet and how you workout. I hate most cardio programs but I love lifting weights. For most of my life I trained for strength with high weight and low reps being my focus. I also rested 3 minutes plus between sets. Through poor dieting I jumped to 265 pounds from 245 pounds. I am now counting my macros 40/30/30 and staying away from simple carbs. I will have a cheat day but I still stay under my caloric goal. I changed my workout to supersets with lower weight and higher reps with only a minute between sets. If a set completely kicked my *kitten* I will wait 1:30 seconds. This keeps my heart rate up longer and I sweat a lot more.

Examples (I do 4 sets of 12 or more)
    Bench Press/Seated Row
    Incline Press/Lat Pulldowns
    Butterflies/Backflies
    T-Bar Press/Barbell Rows

heart rate being up and sweating means nothing for weight loss. sweating is your body's way to keep you cool and heart rate can vary person to person doesnt mean you care burning more calories because heart rate is up. you burn calories 24/7 just by being alive.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Looks like OP hasn't logged in since Jan 7th.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    sijomial wrote: »

ah ok I dont check to see when last login was, maybe I should but eh lol
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

ah ok I dont check to see when last login was, maybe I should but eh lol

Eat less can be a hard message to hear.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    It’s a hard question to answer not knowing your current diet and how you workout. I hate most cardio programs but I love lifting weights. For most of my life I trained for strength with high weight and low reps being my focus. I also rested 3 minutes plus between sets. Through poor dieting I jumped to 265 pounds from 245 pounds. I am now counting my macros 40/30/30 and staying away from simple carbs. I will have a cheat day but I still stay under my caloric goal. I changed my workout to supersets with lower weight and higher reps with only a minute between sets. If a set completely kicked my *kitten* I will wait 1:30 seconds. This keeps my heart rate up longer and I sweat a lot more.

Examples (I do 4 sets of 12 or more)
    Bench Press/Seated Row
    Incline Press/Lat Pulldowns
    Butterflies/Backflies
    T-Bar Press/Barbell Rows

heart rate being up and sweating means nothing for weight loss. sweating is your body's way to keep you cool and heart rate can vary person to person doesnt mean you care burning more calories because heart rate is up. you burn calories 24/7 just by being alive.

Not to mention that increasing reps and lowering intensity (weight on the bar) is a great way to lose muscle mass in a deficit... you should lower frequency and volume before you ever lower the weight if retaining that mass is a priority.