Daily calories are too much!! HELP!

Options

Replies

• rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    magdilinab wrote: »
    I chose active, since I go to university every week day and I walk there (5km walk). I'm trying to get from 234lbs to 170lbs. And calories are 1900.
    I have been on the bigger side my whole life, but ive been eating healthy for the last couple of years and all I've lost is 20lbs. And with my activeness I still can't seem to shake it. I am 5ft 10, so quite tall too.

Oh @magdilinab, you don't need to starve yourself! I'm 5'10" too, my highest was 183lbs and I don't tend to eat much below 1700-1800 cals. I am 165lbs now, and losing (aiming for the low 150s). On my active days I am more likely to eat 2000-2200 calories.

Feel free to add me and peruse my food diary. Honestly, I eat crap when I fancy it (within reason, of course) and still lose. Life's too short to go without!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • The_Weaze
    The_Weaze Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Eat more food if you are positive you are tracking properly. I'm guessing you aren't otherwise you wouldn't be on this site.
  • AprilMLowe
    AprilMLowe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Maybe try meeting with a nutritionist to change up your food intake. If you eat like that everyday you will lose muscle tone and energy. You probably need more carbs and protein. When you are active your body needs more protein for muscle mass and carbs for energy. Is your diary open? I will send you a friend request. I had weightloss surgery sleeve and eat about 1200 calories a day with losing about 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    [*] When I started, I would've sworn I was eating 1400 cals per day, active, and couldn't lose a lb. When I got a Fitbit, I realized I was barely getting 4000 steps a day, and when I started using a food scale for all solid foods and really tightened up my logging, I realized I was eating more like 1800 cals per day. Locking down your logging will be eye-opening :smiley: and I wouldn't jump to any other conclusions before making sure the data you are laying down is accurate.

I second the idea of an activity tracker with HR monitor, it has helped me immensely. I have set my MFP calorie goal to my BMR (based on my height and weight just over 1500 cals) and enabled calorie adjustments. So as I move more I get given more calories to consume, within the deficit I have set up (lose 0.5lbs/wk).

And yes, a food scale is key.

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    OP - try changing to 'Sedentary' and actually logging your daily walks separately under the Exercise tab. With correct food and exercise logging (CI and CO) your figures might start to balance out. (I log as Sedentary but am not as I walk, cycle, lift regularly. However, knowing how much I've actually burnt that day rather than it be pre-calculated as a given by MFP means that if I have a couple of off days, my food allowance is lower.)

Hope that makes sense.

I second what everyone else says about retentive logging/food scale :-)

Hi! It is frustrating when the scale isn't moving and you are weighing all the things. I was going to recommend the same thing as Dan -- change to sedentary. Even though you are walking to school, school is not active. See if that helps! Good luck. You gots this.
    53703 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I chose active, since I go to university every week day and I walk there (5km walk). I'm trying to get from 234lbs to 170lbs. And calories are 1900.
    Hi magdilinab, I'm in a similar boat as you: 5'10", trying to get from 241 to 160. I'm down 23 lbs since mid/late October, thanks to a combo of strict(ish) adherence and gaming the system.

Strict(ish) adherence
    I log everything almost every day. More often than not I log breakfast & lunch the night before, to be sure I stick to the plan and so I know how to construct my dinner. I've gone off the rails a few days and didn't log, and I didn't even try to log the Food Holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas), but I only miss a day every other week or so, and the others are as accurate as I can make them. Scale, measuring cups, rigorous honesty, entering every recipe into MFP, blah blah blah.

Gaming the system
    I list myself as sedentary, which gives me a calorie total of just north of 1,200 for a 2lb/week loss. The sedentary is pretty much true (desk job), but in December I started rowing daily, anywhere from 1,000 to 12,000 meters, usually around 6,000m (30 min at a moderate pace). I don't log any of that activity. (Well, not on on MFP. I've logged every. single. meter. for the past 18 years on the Concept 2 website. Log it, or it didn't happen.) I also don't freak out when I go over my daily total by a bit, especially for a good cause like a few glasses of wine with friends.

Other things, which nobody asked for but now I'm on a roll:

I eat a moderately low-carb diet: 25% carb, 25% protein, 50% fat. I moderate carb intake only because it's the best way to get the hunger monkey off my back. I downloaded a net-carbs script for MFP to properly track those macros, and I'm usually at or under my carb target. I'm a dairy fangirl, and I ALWAYS eat full fat. Life is too short for less-than foods.

I weigh daily. I told myself from the start that I'd only mind the trend, not the daily fluctuations, and I've stuck to that. I made a calendar back in October with weekly targets, and I log my daily weight there as well as on MFP. I fell off pace after Thanksgiving, and was 3lb off the back at the start of the year. Now I'm just 1.6lb behind. Daily weighing drives some people crazy, but I feel like it gives me more control.

I've lost just under 2lb/week doing all of the above. <<< That's aggressive, and likely not sustainable all the way down to 160. I'm fine adjusting as I go along. Also fine hitting it hard before Antigua in April and our 25th anniversary in June. :smile: